Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

38 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Interesting that the EU are choosing to look out for one of its member states ahead of the UK. 

Which member state are they looking out for?  They are looking to protect the integrity of the single market and in the event of a no deal will have to make a decision to maintain the integrity of the single market or the Good Friday no border provision.  I know which one my money is on.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

Which member state are they looking out for?  They are looking to protect the integrity of the single market and in the event of a no deal will have to make a decision to maintain the integrity of the single market or the Good Friday no border provision.  I know which one my money is on.

The EU would of course preserve the Single Market; responsibility for any impact to the Good Friday Agreement will lie solely with the initiators of Brexit.

14 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Image may contain: text

Those "WTO" tariffs are those that the EU imposes on goods from other countries. They are very Trumpist, i.e. protectionist. 

Think of the impact of retaliatory UK tariffs on German car makers, Irish meat and dairy products, European wine and beer, etc etc.

And then add in the impact of UK free trade deals with the US and other countries.

Spot the problem?

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

Those "WTO" tariffs are those that the EU imposes on goods from other countries. They are very Trumpist, i.e. protectionist. 

Mr Melville is assuming that the EU tariffs (UK imports from EU) will be unchanged even under no deal. They won't.

Think of the impact of retaliatory tariffs on German car makers, Irish meat and dairy products, European wine and beer.

And then add in the impact of UK free trade deals with the US and other countries.

See the problem?

The problem is without a trade deal these tariffs automatically apply, if you want to alter them you need to sign a trade deal.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

The problem is without a trade deal these tariffs automatically apply, if you want to alter them you need to sign a trade deal.

And you think that the EU will not want a trade deal with the UK?

The EU (especially Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands) has a huge trade surplus with the UK. The original Tusk/Barnier offer to the UK, before May's Chequers sell-out, was a`"Canada plus" trade deal.

If Johnson was to offer to an attractive financial offer with such a trade deal, would the EU refuse it? No deal will result in a massive hole in the EU budget so I doubt it. But I don't under-estimate the supra-national hubris of the unelected Eurocrats.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The EU (especially Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands) has a huge trade surplus with the UK. The original Tusk/Barnier offer to the UK, before May's Chequers sell-out, was a`"Canada plus" trade deal.

If Johnson was to offer to an attractive financial offer with such a trade deal, would the EU refuse it? No deal will result in a massive hole in the EU budget so I doubt it. But I don't under-estimate the supra-national hubris of the unelected Eurocrats.

Probably, but this is kind of what has been being discussed for three years now.  We're leaving with no deal which means no trade deal for a period, then we will get brutal terms as we will be basically on our knees willing to rim every member state.  We're going to get utterly shafted.  And so we should tbf.

Just now, Kuro said:

Probably, but this is kind of what has been being discussed for three years now.  We're leaving with no deal which means no trade deal for a period, then we will get brutal terms as we will be basically on our knees willing to rim every member state.  We're going to get utterly shafted.  And so we should tbf.

There is still time to agree an interim trade deal that would keep existing tariffs. The EU will not wish to jeopardise its trade surplus with the UK.  German industry could not give a f**k about the Irish backstop, as the new EU Council President will learn very quickly.

There are other UK-EU agreements that would come into effect under no deal anyway. All the doomsday predictions after the referendum, especially from the Treasury and the IMF, over the last three years have been wildly wrong. We should have been in a deep recession for the last two years. The economy has been growing despite Project Fear.

Yes but it’ll be a trade deal on their terms, ie accept their rules or no trade, the UK is now the junior partner in just about any major trade deal it makes.
Its been discussed to death that the UK will need to make all of the big concessions.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes but it’ll be a trade deal on their terms, ie accept their rules or no trade, the UK is now the junior partner in just about any major trade deal it makes.
Its been discussed to death that the UK will need to make all of the big concessions.

Why? The UK economy is much larger than Canada which agreed CETA with the EU.  

The UK is a massive market, with a huge trade deficit, for the Northern European countries. 

Then there is access to the City of London's financial markets.

The UK could f**k the EU's banking system and currency markets with some well-targeted taxes and regulations.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

There is still time to agree an interim trade deal that would keep existing tariffs. The EU will not wish to jeopardise its trade surplus with the UK.  German industry could not give a f**k about the Irish backstop, as the new EU Council President will learn very quickly.

There are other UK-EU agreements that would come into effect under no deal anyway. All the doomsday predictions after the referendum, especially from the Treasury and the IMF, over the last three years have been wildly wrong. We should have been in a deep recession for the last two years. The economy has been growing despite Project Fear.

The projections were for after brexit you fool, it hasn't happened yet.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The UK is a massive market, with a huge trade deficit, for the Northern European countries. 

The UK could f**k the EU's banking system and currency markets with some well-targeted taxes and regulations.

Sure it could lol

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

Aye cutting tobacco production and use is obviously a good thing. I say this as someone who has done a fair amount of smoking. I don't follow you on the beet production as the tweet suggests there will still be tariffs which the government can apply.

I don't agree with "In general any barrier is worse than no barrier". 'Free trade' policies have resulted in under development in the global south and non productive economies and politically neutered populations in the north.

Our government can still charge tarrifs on sugar imports, yes, but we lose the cost advantage in our largest export markets. 

Things that are called "free trade policies" are often nothing of the sort, and tend to be more about opening capital markets. They're generally a stitch up by the old Bretton woods institutes for the benefit of two western protectionist trading blocs. Don't confuse the economic theory with the spin. 

7 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Then there is access to the City of Frankfurt and City of Paris financial markets.

The UK could support the EU's banking system and currency markets with some well-targeted resettlement of bank staff.

FTFY

8 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Why have so many banks moved clearing departments from London to Dublin, Paris, Frankfurt and Luxembourg since the vote took place?

8 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Why have so many banks moved clearing departments from London to Dublin, Paris, Frankfurt and Luxembourg since the vote took place?

10 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Not at the expense of the backstop. Something they’ve been consistently clear on since the UK embarrassed itself.

This British ignorance on the matter will ultimately be the UKs downfall.

9 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Are you convincing anyone with your chronic “mighty empire” jive?