Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Apart from all the other fictions about committing to the Euro etc, it's nonsense about voting for No Deal. The ERG supported it, the Tories have an 80 seat majority, and Labour put out a 3 line whip to vote for it. All the SNP vote meant was that nobody can say "What are you moaning about, you voted for it/abstained?".

Instead people can say "you voted for no deal". 

I don't really want to get into jthe ins and outs of what the SNP have done, said or not done or said. 

My point was that whatever they have done or said in the past is irrelevant to the fact that the UK leaving the EU is a big, big boost for the cause of Scottish independence now. 

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think this is very much it. There is no unseen hedge fund hand behind this, Leave no more expected to win than Remain expected them too either. Leave had no plan - great or otherwise - for exiting the EU and basically flaffed around for 4 years.

Many on here predicted a No Deal and were salivating at the thought of it and were convinced this was the Leavers grand plan, and are now trying to hide their disappointment that this didn't materialise. Others predicted that a deal would be stitched together at the last minute as that was "the EU way", and have been proved right in that respect.

This deal is probably not as good as it could have been, (although who from the array of stunning talent at Westminster could have negotiated a better one I don't know) but it's better than no deal and seems quite beneficial to NI.

"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

6 hours ago, madwullie said:

3 of the 4 twitter profiles have ranjurz names and are bigging up Michael Gove for a piece of startling hypocrisy that even has conservatives cringing🤷‍♂️ - hypocrisy btw which is designed only to try to dog-whistle amoebas like these dudes away from actually noticing that they've just been properly shafted by the party they presumably vote for. 

It's not infantile, they're just childishly transparent 👍 

"Ranjurz" names, how would you define that out of curiosity? 

I’m looking forward to an Independent Scotland being a liberal, forward-thinking, open, free and democratic country.

That said when it happens there’s a couple of posters on here that should be locked up for life.

2 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

The Scotland in Union New year address

While there are undoubtedly challenging days still ahead, the rollout of the coronavirus vaccines means there is light on the horizon.

And there is hope too that the togetherness generated in 2020 has made a lasting impact on our society.

There is greater recognition of the vital role of key workers and a renewed sense of community spirit thanks to acts of kindness by hundreds of thousands of people.

After years of division – both political and societal – there is an opportunity for unity.
And yet there are those in the nationalist movement who are still so obsessed with the constitution that they want to divide Scotland once again.

What an insult to everyone who has lost so much in 2020 it would be to abandon the solidarity that has helped us through these challenging times.

No serious politician should even contemplate holding a divisive second independence referendum any time soon.

If SNP MSPs and MPs are looking for a New Year’s resolution, it should be to stop campaigning for separation and instead work on bringing every community together.

Instead, we have Nicola Sturgeon still wanting to have a referendum in the near future, and senior SNP figures George Kerevan and Steven Bonnar MP making disturbing remarks, with the former comparing their campaign to break up Britain to civil rights movements for the most oppressed, and the latter even – chillingly – claiming a “fight to the death” for separation.
I am certain I am in the majority of people who felt physically sick upon reading their comments.

All this at a time when we need our political leaders to be completely focussed on rebuilding our country. It will take time; that is not in doubt. There will continue to be sacrifices as Covid restrictions continue until the vaccine is fully rolled out, and there will be long-term challenges for both public services and the economy.

With so many NHS operations cancelled at the start of the pandemic, there are concerns about future spikes in conditions such as cancer.
And while there has been an unprecedented level of support for businesses, with more than £8 billion added to the Scottish budget from the UK government to assist the Covid-19 response, jobs and livelihoods will still be at risk for years to come. It’s clear what 2021 must be about: recovery.

hat must be the focus of both the coming Scottish election campaign and the parliamentary term which follows.

The people of Scotland, in opinion poll after opinion poll, have made it clear what our priorities are.

In one survey, over three-quarters of respondents said they did not want a second independence referendum to be prioritised over recovery from Covid-19, including 64 per cent of SNP voters. In another, the economy and the NHS were by far the top priorities for people, with independence barely in the top ten.

The climate emergency has not gone away – and Glasgow is hosting the Cop26 UN climate summit this year.

Let’s focus on ensuring that Scotland sets an example to the world, rather than subjecting international delegates and journalists to an insular debate about our constitution.

And there is an urgent need for the Scottish government to prioritise the drugs crisis in 2021.

Our drug-related death rate has increased and dwarfs all EU countries. The drugs debate is a prime example of how the powers of devolution can be used.

hile laws around drug classification and consumption rooms are reserved to the UK government, treatment and recovery services are devolved to the Scottish government.

Rather than searching for grievances, it’s time to remember that co-operation should be at the heart of devolution, not division.

A recent poll found that a majority of people in Scotland are dissatisfied with the way that our two governments work together, and particularly want the administrations to co-operate more amid the coronavirus emergency.

Both governments must put their differences aside and work harder to bring everyone together.

Of course, it won’t be easy as intergovernmental tensions will inevitably increase this year as a result of Brexit, and Nicola Sturgeon is already wasting no time in using it to promote her case for separation.

It is almost comical the number of positions the SNP has gone through: the euro, not accepting the euro; leaving the EU is a price worth paying for independence, we are being dragged out the EU against our will; ‘no deal’ is the worst possible outcome, let’s vote for ‘no deal’.

The only SNP position on Europe that is consistent is that it will take the populist line of the day in order to try and gain support for Scotland to leave the UK. And the repeated claim that a separate Scotland would stroll back into the EU simply doesn’t hold water – there would have to be a crippling plan for reducing our deficit in place and a commitment to join the euro, with no guarantee of success.

Long before any repeat debate about Scottish independence is held, the SNP must be honest with voters about the reality.

But that debate should be for another time.

Right now is the worst possible time to find new ways to divide Scotland, which is why the SNP should abandon its plans for a divisive second independence referendum that would tear communities apart.

Instead, let’s make sure that 2021 is a year of hope, when we build on the community spirit of the past 12 months and we work harder than ever to bring people together.

Pamela Nash is chief executive of the pro-UK campaign group Scotland in Union

Shirley sum mistook.

Isn't her real name Pamela Sash?

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

It's encouraging how many Rangers fans are actually pro-independence, but I guess they have to keep quiet about it on match days 😆

Of course, there are still too many who think their political views are a function purely of the team they support, but what can you about that. 

If I did that I would need to form the Recovering Drug Addict Party. And dont ask to see our accounts. All donations cash only please.

This is true of course. Maybe it's just the circles I move in, but the two main proper hardcore ranjurs fans I know are both pro-indy. And laughing stocks regarding their club obvs. Neither of them have any truck whatsoever with the red hand gang etc too. 

19 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Scotland In Union are a bit like the Masons or the Orange Order.  Take themselves ultra-seriously but no-one else does.

Know any Celtic supporters? Don't think that last bit stands up to scrutiny given what a lot of them genuinely seem to believe about referees. It will probably turn very nasty over the next few months if Rangers do stop TIAR. Always cheated never defeated.

Agree the LOL (there's some clown on here thought I was using that as a secret code rather than as a mild pisstake) shouldn't be taken too seriously as it's mainly a social thing and just another excuse to get bevvied but there's nothing like a big Orange walk to find out who the complete out and out cranks on here are.

Any attempt at rational discussion with them to explain that they maybe shouldn't be viewed ultra-seriously as the equivalent of the KKK or SA best avoided.

So, the moment has come, and some of the things which we lose at 11pm tonight....

'Smooth' access to the world's second largest economic market, having trade tied up in red tape, customs checks, form filling, and the inevitable tarrifs placed on some businesses which don't meet the 40% of parts sourced in the UK/EU criteria.

No share of the $750 billion which the EU budget has now set aside for Covid recovery funding

A huge financial gap to fill, to replace the CAP funding

Lack of access to security and information sharing on criminal activity across the continent

Financial passporting rights for 80% of the UK's exports to the EU

Out of the Erasmus programme, 

Still owing the EU £25 billion as a divorce payment

Lack of smooth access to the world's largest exporter

Having to renegotiate trade deals which the EU already has in place with major economies like the US, China, India, Canada, which will take years

Lack of access to the highest foreign direct investment in the world, which the EU currently is

A hit of 6.4% to GDP

Watching Northern Ireland remain in the single market, the EHIC and Erasmus, carving up the UK in the process

But,....we get to keep 25% of the fish.....after 5 years.

Edited by Jedi

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

So, the moment has come, and some of the things which we lose at 11pm tonight....

'Smooth' access to the world's second largest economic market, having trade tied up in red tape, customs checks, form filling, and the inevitable tarrifs placed on some businesses which don't meet the 40% of parts sourced in the UK/EU criteria.

No share of the $750 billion which the EU budget has now set aside for Covid recovery funding

A huge financial gap to fill, to replace the CAP funding

Lack of access to security and information sharing on criminal activity across the continent

Financial passporting rights for 80% of the UK's exports to the EU

Out of the Erasmus programme, 

Lack of smooth access to the world's largest exporter

Having to renegotiate trade deals which the EU already has in place with major economies like the US, China, India, Canada, which will take years

Lack of access to the highest foreign direct investment in the world, which the EU currently is

A hit of 6.4% to GDP

Watching Northern Ireland remain in the single market, the EHIC and Erasmus, carving up the UK in the process

But,....we get to keep 25% of the fish.....after 5 years.

Sounds like a great deal.

Anyone not voting for this clearly wants no deal at all imo.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I'd do this by setting up an enormously complicated flute licensing scheme, staffed only by people whose surname begins with O'

Alex O'Hara and George O'Boyle? Not always safe to make assumptions as plenty of Irish Gaels converted over the centuries, but let's not derail the thread. BJ, Nigel Farage and Douglas Ross (there's the masonic conspiracy surrounding the possible failed TIAR waiting to happen) should be the focus of our angst.