Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Do you not have a problem with the EU’s current policy towards immigration? You’ve previously stated you would want the uk to be part of the EU. 

The second of the post was mainly supposed to be about James O’Brien and the FBPE crowd and their thinly veiled classism towards working class brexit voters by basically saying they’re all uneducated people that don’t like immigrants when that’s not the case. 

The EU's policy on migration is less progessive than i'd like it to be. 

Of course, we don't have any chance to change it for the better should the uk gov decide it wanted to. 

You appeared to suggest that people voted to leave in part because they shared that view. I'd seriously doubt that. In fact, all evidence suggests that very large numbers of people voted to leave so we could let in fewer foreigners and throw out more. 

There was a strong correlation between socio economic grouping and propensity to vote to leave the EU. 

Characteristic Remain Leave
Lower Working-Class (DE) 36% 64%
Upper Working-Class (C2) 36% 64%
Lower Middle-Class (C1) 51% 49%
Upper Middle-Class (AB) 57% 43

How those two facts are connected is poorly understood. 

I know little about James O brien and FPBE. Sound like Twitter attention seekers to me. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of them speak a load of shite. 

But that doesn't mean that state of the EU's immigration policy has anything to do with why we left or justifies leaving. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

The EU's policy on migration is less progessive than i'd like it to be. 

Of course, we don't have any chance to change it for the better should the uk gov decide it wanted to. 

You appeared to suggest that people voted to leave in part because they shared that view. I'd seriously doubt that. In fact, all evidence suggests that very large numbers of people voted to leave so we could let in fewer foreigners and throw out more. 

There was a strong correlation between socio economic grouping and propensity to vote to leave the EU. 

Characteristic Remain Leave
Lower Working-Class (DE) 36% 64%
Upper Working-Class (C2) 36% 64%
Lower Middle-Class (C1) 51% 49%
Upper Middle-Class (AB) 57% 43

How those two facts are connected is poorly understood. 

I know little about James O brien and FPBE. Sound like Twitter attention seekers to me. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of them speak a load of shite. 

But that doesn't mean that state of the EU's immigration policy has anything to do with why we left or justifies leaving. 

I’m not denying immigration was a large part of it, but it’s not the whole story. Being in the EU didn’t do much to alleviate the effects of deindustrialisation on many communities in the uk (and all across western Europe) and this undoubtedly helped fuel the rise of populism. Obviously it’s not immigrants “taking peoples jobs” that’s responsible for this, immigrants usually face the same circumstances and often even worse circumstances, but shysters like Nigel Farage will still use this rhetoric.

If western European governments and even intuitions like the EU and NATO hadn’t spent most of the Cold War suppressing any type of even vaguely left wing activism, right down to attempting destroy trade unions as Thatcher did, whilst also destroying communities through deindustrialisation these populist views wouldn’t be so widespread. 

On 19/02/2023 at 12:08, MazzyStar said:

The second of the post was mainly supposed to be about James O’Brien and the FBPE crowd and their thinly veiled classism towards working class brexit voters by basically saying they’re all uneducated people that don’t like immigrants when that’s not the case. 

Nearly all uneducated people who don't like immigrants voted Leave though.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Ok? Thats probably what will happen when it was turned into a debate solely about immigration. Since brexit the EU has proven it isn’t as in favour of immigration as the remainers would like to think it is. Like I said (imo) there are a number of factors as to why this happened.  

On 20/02/2023 at 16:27, welshbairn said:

And many of those thought it would get rid of the "Pakis" .    (see 'uneducated' , or just plain  'ignorant').

Now the UK has increased immigration levels from Asian countries.  Ironic.

I am prepared to accept that poor weather conditions have affected the supply of fresh vegetables and fruit in Europe, but brexit has put the UK, as a 3rd country, at the end of the supply queue.    So it IS because of brexit that there is a shortage. 

ETA   

I've just come back to France after a few weeks in Spain.   I haven't noticed any empty shelves in either country.

Edited by cyderspaceman

6 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

spanishdrought.jpg

Hopefully puts an end to them bendy bananas.

I almost said there isn't one single banana in that photo.

Then I spotted the curvy, secretive bastids, hanging around in the background in their undemocratic, tyrannical way.

On 18/02/2023 at 13:10, MazzyStar said:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/02/15/ruoc-f15.html
The racist EU has once again ramped up its attacks on migrants, making the lives of people already in a terrible situation even worse. Just days after, this happens:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64680538

Every time the EU does this human trafficking will get worse. Of course you won’t hear James O’Brien and the rest of the FBPE clowns mention this, they’ll just continue to say that anyone that voted for brexit is a thick racist that probably lives in a shithole. 

Wut a line to open with

On February 9, the 27 heads of state and government of the European Union (EU) met in Brussels to decide on a massive tightening up of the common asylum and immigration policies. Another key topic was the escalation of the Ukraine war against Russia.

1 hour ago, Zern said:

Wut a line to open with

On February 9, the 27 heads of state and government of the European Union (EU) met in Brussels to decide on a massive tightening up of the common asylum and immigration policies. Another key topic was the escalation of the Ukraine war against Russia.

At least we know what happened to Detournement after his well-earned binning.