Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

If NATO is seen as vehicle for advancing US military might then I can see why people would oppose it. 

However it is currently seen as a means to thwart Russian military might so I can see why people would support it.  European countries are keen to belong to NATO as the best way to avoid invasion by Russia.

NATO isn't great but the alternative is worse.

I'd argue NATO has been disastrous for common folk.

Historically, there was Operation Gladio, the Nato-directed massacring and terrorising of leftist activists particularly in Italy. There was the US-trained dictator of Greece, Papadopoulos, able to carry out his repression and torture upon the Greek people while receiving constant US financial aid and backing via Nato membership. More recently, there's the Nato bombings in Libya and Afghanistan which weren't to anyone's benefit except shareholders of Lockheed Martin and the like. There was Nato's intervention in the Kosovo war where American planes bombed a refugee convoy at Gjakova, massacring 73 Albanians, 16 of them children.

Just last week abducted Armenian soldiers were beheaded by Azerbaijan. The Azeris can commit these crimes with impunity due to their Turkish and therefore US-Nato backing. Now we're onto Turkey, their regular brutalising of both their own Kurdish population and those in northern Syria goes unremarked upon by their fellow Nato members. Even here in Scotland, Turkey gets away with nonsense due to shared Nato membership. Kurdish community centres in Edinburgh have been raided by anti-terror police multiple times because of Turkish consulate demands.

Russia were open to Nato membership at the turn of the century, back when Tony Blair was going to the opera with Putin. USA blocked it because a united Europe was bad for business. It suited US and therefore Nato interests to keep Russia alienated from the rest of the continent.

19 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

I'd argue NATO has been disastrous for common folk.

Historically, there was Operation Gladio, the Nato-directed massacring and terrorising of leftist activists particularly in Italy. There was the US-trained dictator of Greece, Papadopoulos, able to carry out his repression and torture upon the Greek people while receiving constant US financial aid and backing via Nato membership. More recently, there's the Nato bombings in Libya and Afghanistan which weren't to anyone's benefit except shareholders of Lockheed Martin and the like. There was Nato's intervention in the Kosovo war where American planes bombed a refugee convoy at Gjakova, massacring 73 Albanians, 16 of them children.

Just last week abducted Armenian soldiers were beheaded by Azerbaijan. The Azeris can commit these crimes with impunity due to their Turkish and therefore US-Nato backing. Now we're onto Turkey, their regular brutalising of both their own Kurdish population and those in northern Syria goes unremarked upon by their fellow Nato members. Even here in Scotland, Turkey gets away with nonsense due to shared Nato membership. Kurdish community centres in Edinburgh have been raided by anti-terror police multiple times because of Turkish consulate demands.

Russia were open to Nato membership at the turn of the century, back when Tony Blair was going to the opera with Putin. USA blocked it because a united Europe was bad for business. It suited US and therefore Nato interests to keep Russia alienated from the rest of the continent.

Yet I don't think unilateral withdrawal is the solution but rather multilateral dismantling once a shared democratic consensus has been achieved. Same goes for the EU. So I think the leftist strategy should be to keep arguing and trying to convince of the leftist view. Not trying to co-opt a right wing movement like Brexit. 

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Stewart Lee called me a c**t. 

So he's pretty astute on that front.

I'm seeing him again on Monday in Inverness. Hope he's got new material and calls me a fanny or something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2023 at 06:42, TapothehullDee said:

Highest employment in UK history, Remain lies blown out of water. Incredible that 48% could swallow the dross spouted by Remain mob. Good riddance. 

I mean at least the other trolling losers and sock puppets on here put some effort in. This just comes across as plainly stupid. 

Could there be eastern promise closer to home than we thought? Recent projections show that on current growth trajectories the average Pole will be £500 a year better off than the average Briton by the end of the decade. As Mark Littlewood points out in The Times, extrapolate further and even “Hungarian and Romanian incomes will overtake us by 2040”. 

For now, the UK is comfortably richer than Eastern Europe, with a GDP per capita of $50,809, compared with $38,125 in Poland (after adjusting for living costs). But while Britain’s economy has stagnated since 2010, Poland’s has grown at an annual rate of 3.6%. An economy that expands at 3.6% for 50 years will end up nearly six times bigger than where it started. But “if you crawl along at a mere 0.5%, your GDP will expand by barely 25% in half a century”, says Littlewood. 

Many fear that unless something is done, Britain will end up with a 1970s-style brain drain. The age of the Polish plumber is ending. Instead, Britain’s best and brightest may one day seek work in a Warsaw start-up. 

From this week's Moneyweek. 

Hi folks. 

Anyone had recent experience of the passport/security controls in and out of Herakleion Airport? Any significant problems now that we're a "third country"? 

In June we are heading to Crete for our first foreign holiday in ages. We'll book into the airport lounge for the return flight.  Any particular concerns or tips? 

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi folks. 

Anyone had recent experience of the passport/security controls in and out of Herakleion Airport? Any significant problems now that we're a "third country"? 

In June we are heading to Crete for our first foreign holiday in ages. We'll book into the airport lounge for the return flight.  Any particular concerns or tips? 

Cheers. 

Been to plenty of EU countries recently and absolutely no problems.

Entered Bordeaux on Sunday and complete disinterest with a quick stamp on the passport,

Sorry to disappoint you.

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi folks. 

Cheers. 

Last year I went through Kos and Schiphol. Kos was a piece of piss but Schiphol was a nightmare going in and coming back home. Don't think it was Brexit though because the Dutch had massive queues as well.