Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

P & Bs favourite moronic Tory, Kirstene Hair, tweeted this slightly odd statement the other day demanding the SNP clarify their post Brexit plans for farmers:

It gave rise to this thread of her voting record which shows how little Hair herself has done to help out farmers in her constituency:

Another day, another utterly embarrassing fail by Hair.

Funds and speculators have been growing increasingly bearish on the pound since April, when it traded above $1.42. Their aggressive selling helped to drive it below $1.27 last month.

They have increased their net short position in sterling in the latest week to 79,258 contracts, according to the latest Commodity Futures Trading Commission figures from U.S. futures exchanges. That’s a $6.51 billion bet against the pound.

But those figures are for the week ending Sept. 18. That was Tuesday, before the European Union summit in Salzburg on Thursday, which laid bare the chasm between Britain and the EU on Brexit.

Talks between the EU and Prime Minister Theresa May on how to manage Britain’s withdrawal from the bloc, which is only six months away, hit a brick wall. The consensus seemed to be that it was a humiliation for May.

She hit back the following day with a defiant speech that cheered the Tory party faithful and eurosceptic elements of the UK media. But as far as the FX market was concerned, it only raised the likelihood of a no-deal Brexit. 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-hedgefunds/commentary-hedge-funds-smelling-brexit-blood-circle-sterling-idUKKCN1M4186

30 minutes ago, Edmond Dantès said:

Can Brexit not be postponed indefinitely and be allowed to resurface in rumours from time to time, kind of like a political version of Guns N Roses' Chinese Democracy album?

I like that idea apart from the inconvenient facts

1) "Chinese Democracy" was finally released in Autumn 2008

2) It was even shiter than expected

3) The global economy collapsed in  2008

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Aye but this time it doesn't get released. 

It’s now looking like there will be no compromise or accommodation between May and the Hard Brexiteers.  This is bound to play out at next week’s Tory Party conference.

It will be interesting to see how awkward May chooses to be.  Much will be down to personal animus rather than politics.  

If she wants to put the knife into Johnson I can see her calling a GE, otherwise she’s handing him the keys to No 10.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s now looking like there will be no compromise or accommodation between May and the Hard Brexiteers.  This is bound to play out at next week’s Tory Party conference.

It will be interesting to see how awkward May chooses to be.  Much will be down to personal animus rather than politics.  

If she wants to put the knife into Johnson I can see her calling a GE, otherwise she’s handing him the keys to No 10.

If the result of the Labour Conference today is that they want a second vote of some description, I could see a 'EEA + Customs Union' V 'May's deal' referendum being passed through the house relatively comfortably tbh. If there's any sort of theoretical border between Great Britain and Ireland, the DUP would turn against May's deal but not to the level of collapsing her government and inviting Corbyn into power - I think they'd abstain at the very least. There were also 12 Tory MPs who supported the EEA amendment in the past and I think they would comfortably carry over.

I'd envision it as being sold as a temporary stopgap at least which would allow the development of new internal customs infrastructure (since NI will eventually need solving) and it would cause a shitfest and probably make and break both major parties over the next decade or two but it is something that is practically doable and I think parliament would go for it - even if leadership might not be the most enthused.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It could be Dr Dre's 'Detox' instead, which has still never been released although there was a stopgap album instead...

31 minutes ago, harry94 said:

If the result of the Labour Conference today is that they want a second vote of some description, I could see a 'EEA + Customs Union' V 'May's deal' referendum being passed through the house relatively comfortably tbh. If there's any sort of theoretical border between Great Britain and Ireland, the DUP would turn against May's deal but not to the level of collapsing her government and inviting Corbyn into power - I think they'd abstain at the very least. There were also 12 Tory MPs who supported the EEA amendment in the past and I think they would comfortably carry over.

I'd envision it as being sold as a temporary stopgap at least which would allow the development of new internal customs infrastructure (since NI will eventually need solving) and it would cause a shitfest and probably make and break both major parties over the next decade or two but it is something that is practically doable and I think parliament would go for it - even if leadership might not be the most enthused.

EEA + Customs Union means the same as staying in the EU, only difference is we have no voice in it. Can't see that getting many backers from either side.

Just now, welshbairn said:

EEA + Customs Union means the same as staying in the EU, only difference is we have no voice in it. Can't see that getting many backers from either side.

It won't be sold as that though. It'll be a stopgap while they get 'technology' in place.

It'll piss leavers off but anything short of leaving the UN will and its impact wouldn't be as bad as a full EU reversal.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Will the ERG toads really vote down leaving the EU?

I doubt it.