Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Vote incoming on the contempt motion. Government tried to amend it and refer the issue to a committee if they lost but they've just lost that vote.

This a bit of a legal shitfest. Very grey area in regards to what happens. Normal convention would be to suspend the member but if they are acting on behalf of the government, who knows. There's a possibility Theresa May can be sent to Big Ben until they comply with parliament....

9 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Ooft battered. Government have been held in contempt for the first time in history.

Dodgy precedent imo if the Government have publish complete confidential legal advice on international treaties before they're signed.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Dodgy precedent imo if the Government have publish complete confidential legal advice on international treaties. 

I don't think so. Parliament are voting for a final decision, they need the tools to do their job and that comes from an economic assessment and the response of their constituents.

If this was a sensitive issue that could impact future negotiations, I see your point but we're nearing the end of the road and the negotiation is done.

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I don't think so. Parliament are voting for a final decision, they need the tools to do their job and that comes from an economic assessment and the response of their constituents.

If this was a sensitive issue that could impact future negotiations, I see your point but we're nearing the end of the road and the negotiation is done.

What if the legal advice points out some wording that the EU haven't picked up on that could give the UK an advantage? The EU have still to ratify the agreement. Could be one word in 585 pages.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Dodgy precedent imo if the Government have publish complete confidential legal advice on international treaties before they're signed.

Absolute bollocks.  Parliament would not ask for that to be published unless it was in the national interest.

What if the legal advice points out some wording that the EU haven't picked up on that could give the UK an advantage? The EU have still to ratify the agreement.

:lol:  You’re not half spouting some absolute nonsense today.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

What if the legal advice points out some wording that the EU haven't picked up on that could give the UK an advantage? The EU have still to ratify the agreement. Could be one word in 585 pages.

I've seen this put out as the one hypothetical scenario that people are worried about but I really doubt that we've found a magic loophole that has outwitted all the European legal experts. There's been nothing that any legal observer has come up and the language on exiting the backstop is ridiculously stringent and hasn't just been thrown together at a whim.

If there was something there of a sensitive nature, there are mechanisms to take it to Starmer and say 'Look, we've identified this particular maneuver as a vital tool...please let us embargo this part or we'll let everyone know we've had this conversation and publicly slate you to f**k'.

What is likely to be in this report is that there are going to be huge difficulties in negotiating the future trade relationship and we're in a shit negotiating position whatever happens. That's what the government are so afraid of. This was always going to be a 'Brexit in name only' betrayal but this brings it forward and can make the backbenchers nuclear now as they can't really hide from their batshit constituents who want WTO rules.

20 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I've seen this put out as the one hypothetical scenario that people are worried about but I really doubt that we've found a magic loophole that has outwitted all the European legal experts. There's been nothing that any legal observer has come up and the language on exiting the backstop is ridiculously stringent and hasn't just been thrown together at a whim.

I doubt it too, my concern is more about the precedent it sets for future negotiations with other parties. What if, say, Corbyn was negotiating privatisation   nationalisation of the Railways in a minority government and was forced to reveal their legal advice and strategies to resistant private companies? 

Edited by welshbairn

I doubt it too, my concern is more about the precedent it sets for future negotiations with other parties. What if, say, Corbyn was negotiating privatisation of the Railways in a minority government and was forced to reveal their legal advice and strategies to resistant private companies?  

Then he's obviously not carrying the support of parliament if they are derailing (:P) it and likely wouldn't be PM anyway.

I doubt it too, my concern is more about the precedent it sets for future negotiations with other parties. What if, say, Corbyn was negotiating privatisation of the Railways in a minority government and was forced to reveal their legal advice and strategies to resistant private companies? 
If Corbyn tried to privatise the railways his legal advice and sanity would surely be called into question?