How others see us

capybara

http://stv.tv/news/features/1367453-american-tourist-goes-viral-with-report-card-on-scotland/

A cheeky report card on Scotland ? Or a grain of truth ?

I drive around Scotland a lot now and some of the driving on our roads is terrible. Hotel bins are very small. Cant understand how he saw only 2 police cars.

9 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

I think if you live in Virginia you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising elsewhere.

Guy was probably seething for our lack of lynching trees.

http://stv.tv/news/features/1367453-american-tourist-goes-viral-with-report-card-on-scotland/

A cheeky report card on Scotland ? Or a grain of truth ?

I drive around Scotland a lot now and some of the driving on our roads is terrible. Hotel bins are very small. Cant understand how he saw only 2 police cars.

Most of his report card is pretty positive.

One of the great things I don't really appreciate about Scotland is not just our lack of billboards, but our ability to put the majority of cables beneath the ground. Streets over the pond can just look like a bloody mess even when spotless, if you know what I mean.

As for the switch between units, this is one of our greatest traits. For me it's:

• Aberdeen to Stonehaven: Miles
  • Aberdeen to Glasgow: Hours
  • Aberdeen to Jupiter: 'Distance to the Moon's
  • House to shop around corner: Metres
  • Length of a pen: Centimetres
  • Length of someone's knob which may be of equal length to the pen: Inches
  • Height of a lamppost: Metres
  • Height of a person: Feet
  • Weight of a person: Stone / pounds / ounces
  • Weight of sugar: Kilos / grams
  • Weight of meat: Pounds
  • Volume of a swimming pool full of beer: Pints
  • Volume of a swimming pool filled with water: Litres
  • Volume of a loch: 'Olympic sized swimming pools'
  • Area: Square metres < Football pitches (even though Glebe Park pitch is tiny compared to the one at Celtic Park, but hey) < Area size of Wales

42 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

One of the great things I don't really appreciate about Scotland is not just our lack of billboards, but our ability to put the majority of cables beneath the ground. Streets over the pond can just look like a bloody mess even when spotless, if you know what I mean.

As for the switch between units, this is one of our greatest traits. For me it's:

• Aberdeen to Stonehaven: Miles
  • Aberdeen to Glasgow: Hours
  • Aberdeen to Jupiter: 'Distance to the Moon's
  • House to shop around corner: Metres
  • Length of a pen: Centimetres
  • Length of someone's knob which may be of equal length to the pen: Inches
  • Height of a lamppost: Metres
  • Height of a person: Feet
  • Weight of a person: Stone / pounds / ounces
  • Weight of sugar: Kilos / grams
  • Weight of meat: Pounds
  • Volume of a swimming pool full of beer: Pints
  • Volume of a swimming pool filled with water: Litres
  • Volume of a loch: 'Olympic sized swimming pools'
  • Area: Square metres < Football pitches (even though Glebe Park pitch is tiny compared to the one at Celtic Park, but hey) < Area size of Wales

is that not because of earthquakes they do that?

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

is that not because of earthquakes they do that?

In some areas, probably (particularly California), but huge swathes of the US (probably the majority if you exclude the Alaska) are no more seismically active than we are here.  I think the primary driving factor is simply cost, with underground lines costing 5-10 the amount.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/07/25/why-most-cities-dont-bury-power-lines/

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

In some areas, probably (particularly California), but huge swathes of the US (probably the majority if you exclude the Alaska) are no more seismically active than we are here.  I think the primary driving factor is simply cost, with underground lines costing 5-10 the amount.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/07/25/why-most-cities-dont-bury-power-lines/

Yeh fair points. It is considerably more expensive having underground electricity cables.

Most of it's fairly positive - I thought it was going to be one of those ones where a septic visits a country and expects it to be like one of the wee pavilions at Epcot.

I remember one getting slaughtered on the Tripadvisor page for the Drovers in Inverarnan which is a creaky, dusty old dump which paradoxically does fairly good food -  dates from the 1600s and he seemed shocked that it was actually old inside. Don't seek out authenticity and recoil from it when you find it.

Archived