Best junior grounds

Killiesquirrel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had to pick one ground and go there every week - Pollok's the winner for me.

It's easily the most enjoyable venue in Glasgow to visit although a big part of that is my fondness for the pubs in that area of Glasgow and Pollok Juniors can hardly take credit for that. 

35 minutes ago, Shanner said:

If I had to pick one ground and go there every week - Pollok's the winner for me.

It's easily the most enjoyable venue in Glasgow to visit although a big part of that is my fondness for the pubs in that area of Glasgow and Pollok Juniors can hardly take credit for that. 

Though the team can have the ability to drive one to drink...

Arguably they could. Had opportunity in past to move to a more remote location in Pollokshaws area and sell out to developers.

Not been to many West Region Grounds, so for East Region - 

Kelty Hearts - worth a visit for anyone who hasn't been recently, but they have done a lot of positive improvements to the ground. Still not convinced non-grass pitches is the right way to go, but when comparing Central Park to the Tarmac pitches at Petershill and Broxburn, then there is no comparison.

Newtongrange Star - as a setting it is up there in my top 3, but my issue is that when you are watching the game, a lot of the time, when the ball is at the other touch line, it seems too far away to watch.

Sauchie - For the scenery around the ground and for the rattle prize!

Hill O' Beath - Great enclosed park, just hope you always play when it is dry as the drainage is awful.

Dunbar United - another great set up

my 5 in no particular order and why

1, beechwood park auchinleck, covered seating and standing, pitch immaculate, good social club

2, winton park ardrossan, a premier league ground in the adl, seats, cover, lights, great pitch, bar. parking could be better

3, dam park stadium ayr, cantilever stand so no pillars, massive carpark, lights, good wee bar and pitch is good

4, newlandsfield pollok, big covered stand, immaculate pitch, social club used to be good

5, barrfields stadium largs, big stand, immaculate pitch, good bar and it always feels like a good day out. chilli at pie hut was or is to die for

my 5 in no particular order and why

1, beechwood park auchinleck, covered seating and standing, pitch immaculate, good social club

2, winton park ardrossan, a premier league ground in the adl, seats, cover, lights, great pitch, bar. parking could be better

3, dam park stadium ayr, cantilever stand so no pillars, massive carpark, lights, good wee bar and pitch is good

4, newlandsfield pollok, big covered stand, immaculate pitch, social club used to be good

5, barrfields stadium largs, big stand, immaculate pitch, good bar and it always feels like a good day out. chilli at pie hut was or is to die for

Will the bar be open on Friday?

13 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Newlandsfield Park, Pollok - My personal favourite, always well looked after and tidy. You couldn't possibly be closer to the pitch and Pollok get decent crowds so that atmosphere tends to be quite good

Portland Park, Troon - A proper wee Junior ground with an absolutely glorious pitch. Right next to the station too, so it's dead easy to get to.

Duncansfield Park, Kilsyth - I'm not actually quite sure what it is about Kilsyth, but there's something really likeable about the stadium. Has a full length stand covering one side of the pitch, which is almost always empty, and plenty of terracing right near the dugout on the other side. Has a sort of oval shape to it, and it's quite easy to imagine it being heaving back in the day.

Bellsdale Park, Beith - Not exactly the most beautiful stadium in the world, but certainly one of the most unique. The slope is unreal! Cracking pies, your dead close to the pitch and have the option of covered or uncovered viewing. Quite sad we didn't get them in the Scottish. Also Mark McLaughlin :wub:

New Western Park, Renfrew - Not only do I hate the majority of new stadiums, I also really, really hate Astroturf pitches...but Renfrew have just about nailed it. Plenty of parking spaces, a decent amount of character for a new ground with the wee stand and crowds that are a good mix of the usual old guys and young kids. Can't help but like it a lot, and I feel bad saying it.

I know the feature isn't 'West Region Grounds Sonsteam of 08 Likes', but if it was then these are the ones I'd pick!

Duncansfield kilsyth certainly was heaving back in the day, Kilsyth v Rob Roy local derby

image.jpeg

17 hours ago, PRS said:

For character - Benburb and Petershill. Not their current grounds but their previous 

Picturesque - Newburgh, Haddington

Viewing - Pollok, Linlithgow

Best pies - Haddington, by a country mile

Got to agree with you on the Haddington pies, absolutely superb!!!!

1 hour ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Love that picture, sadly it seems to be the only picture available from that era

Actual attendance that day 7714, a little bit short of 8000 but we'd be happy with 10% of that today!

This is the second highest OFFICIAL attendance at Duncansfield, a bit behind the 8764 at the Broxburn game in 1951.However there may well have been an even bigger crowd at the 4th round game against Petershill on 2nd January 1960, those who paid to enter, 7305, estimated at least another 1500, mainly Petershill supporters broke in by crossing the railway which used to run just behind the ground on the pavilion side, there was only a low wire fence between the park and the railway. Later that season in the 6th round v Carluke we had 6300 at Duncansfield. I was at all these games, there is a photo in my book taken at the Broxburn game from a different angle showing the enclosure completely full, it would probably hold around 2500 standing and both ends as well as far side were also very well filled that day in my imperfect memory

In modern times? our highest attendance was at a friendly v Celtic XI in 1991 which had around 1500 present. Since then i doubt if we have ever had over 1000. Carnoustie 6th round game in 2004 was around 800 I think, never approached that in more recent years. With terracing at both ends now gone, and enclosure capacity now restricted to 600 because of regulated stands rules we would now be looking at about 2500/3000 maximum crowd. If only!

16 hours ago, Shanner said:

We're NOT called "Pollok Juniors", never have been.

Pollok or Pollok F C please

Archived