The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd say Britain and other European countries were far more responsible for Libya and Ukraine, and I'm not sure what you think the State Department should have done about Syria. 

BTW what do you think about Russia decriminalising domestic violence? Off topic I know.

Not plotting to overthrow a legitimate government in the first place would be the first thing they could have done in Syria, and thereafter not funnelling weapons into the shambles of a situation that followed. I agree though that some European countries were just as guilty,, more so in Libya initially probably. The State Dept hugely underestimated Russia in both Ukraine and Syria. One of Clinton's leaked emails was discussing with advisors along the lines of 'they did nothing in Serbia or Libya so won't do anything in Syria'.

I can't say I'm an avid follower of internal Russian politics , but I read something about the assault laws being different for strangers and family members. Not sure why they didn't make them both criminal matters rather than both administrative matters. Apparently the public polled in favour too. Strange old place!

25 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

So Americans are going to pay for it one way or another.

He really has no idea how it works does he? Or is trying to fool the gullible morons who voted for him that this means Mexico is paying for it.

Either people keep buying Mexican imports and have to pay for the wall themselves with the 20% tax, or people stop buying Mexican imports, and there's no money for the wall

Edited by Forest_Fifer

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Well that's me convinced. The parallels with Germany in the 1930s are uncanny.

When is the invasion of Poland?

If Andrzej Duda puts out the right tweet they could be the first destination for Airforce One.

2 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

He really has no idea how it works does he? Or is trying to fool the gullible morons who voted for him that this means Mexico is paying for it.

American companies export $212 billion of goods to Mexico. A 20% retaliatory tariff on that is going to go down very badly.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

American companies export $212 billion of goods to Mexico. A 20% retaliatory tariff on that is going to go down very badly.

Wouldn't he have to basically pull out of NAFTA as well to be able to impose import duties on Mexico? I mean, he's said it was a bad deal but he's not pulled the plug yet,

19 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Wouldn't he have to basically pull out of NAFTA as well to be able to impose import duties on Mexico? I mean, he's said it was a bad deal but he's not pulled the plug yet,

Yes, and they export $246 billion to Canada as well. They import more than they export, but not a huge amount. The result would be higher prices for consumers and lost jobs for producers. Not smart Donald!

P.S. Between Canada and Mexico they export $457 billion and import $525 billion worth of goods. Some of the imports will be raw materials to be processed and re-exported. Slapping on tariffs will screw everyone up.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, and they export $246 billion to Canada as well. They import more than they export, but not a huge amount. The result would be higher prices for consumers and lost jobs for producers. Not smart Donald!

P.S. Between Canada and Mexico they export $457 billion and import $525 billion worth of goods. Some of the imports will be raw materials to be processed and re-exported. Slapping on tariffs will screw everyone up.

Meanwhile the US pays for the construction of the wall through taxes on US citizens, then gets the money back that they spent on it by putting taxes on Mexican imports which get paid by US citizens. :1eye

But Mexico's DEFINITELY paying for the wall, I mean Donald said so didn't he? #posttruth #alternativefacts #totalbullshit