The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

6 hours ago, MIRROR said:

I love the way people talk about "Russians" as if any contact with them means you're a traitor:lol:

Many of the allegations are around financial interests, loans and other deals between the Krushner and Trump business empires. If some of those deals exist as many suspect this would have had to be declared during the election. These can also put Trump in violation of a clause of the constitution called the Emolument Clause. This is that the Trump Empire cannot receive income from a foreign government. It already does and there is a low profile case filed against some of this, but the bigger picture is if it has been receiving undeclared financing from Russia. Violating the constitution is kind of a big deal.

The problem with distributing intelligence to unauthorised persons is firstly you want the input of lots of experts to weigh in on the risks, not doing so seriously risks other countries not sharing their intelligence with you. Secondly giving away one of the most important assets the west has against ISIS is pretty serious in itself. Then the intelligence committees may stop giving as detailed intelligence briefings. Its just not good all round. 

In Saudi Arabia calling for democracy in Iran the day after 70 million of them did something you can't do in Saudi Arabia.
f**k the West and their choosing of sides in that region.

It's funny, Trump "jobs, jobs , jobs" sales pitch to the folks back home. In reality the defence contracts ( Lockheed Martin in particular but many others) involve these US companies opening production facilities in Saudi and "transferring" skills to the local workforce.
Now, I'll admit these contracts will certainly provide extra jobs in the US to fill positions when parts of the workforce leave to work overseas, it may not be just as "tremendous" as it's getting sold in the US.
The middle eastern press are selling this a lot differently than Trump.
Plus, I've yet to meet more than a handful of Americans wiling to work in Saudi unless they are very handsomely rewarded.

Trump 2016:

Who blew up the World Trade Center? It wasn’t the Iraqis. It was Saudi — take a look at Saudi Arabia, open the documents

Saudi Arabia 2017:

Have $350 billion

saud.png.875f0547015c9e30bab3b54d1368fab4.png

Is it not the other way round? I was under the impression that the Gulf states were investing in the US rather than the other way round?

ETA- I do agree with the general thrust of your point.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's an absolute minter of a cartoon, which fails on every conceivable level.

How many levels can there conceivably be to a cartoon? It's just a pop at the current trend for almost daily revelations from anonymous sources.

3 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Is it not the other way round? I was under the impression that the Gulf states were investing in the US rather than the other way round?

ETA- I do agree with the general thrust of your point.

I maybe wasn't clear, it was the Saudis saying "have our $350 billion".

Trump also used his speech in Saudi to blame Iran for all of the Middle East's troubles, accusing them of providing funding and safe haven for terrorists, and spreading "chaos and destruction" across the region. Astonishing stuff, even for him.

I actually believe he was serious about tackling terrorism before his inauguration. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

14 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I maybe wasn't clear, it was the Saudis saying "have our $350 billion".

Trump also used his speech in Saudi to blame Iran for all of the Middle East's troubles, accusing them of providing funding and safe haven for terrorists, and spreading "chaos and destruction" across the region. Astonishing stuff, even for him.

I actually believe he was serious about tackling terrorism before his inauguration. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Now he seems to be proposing peace by uniting the Sunni and Jews against the Shia. That will go well.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Now he seems to be proposing peace by uniting the Sunni and Jews against the Shia. That will go well.

With Riyadh the hub of counterterrorism in the region. I feel safer already.