The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Rather rich of Bahrain to join this given that they terrorise their own citizens.

Sunni royal family ruling a mainly Shia population. It all comes down to this. I think the Qataris helped them put down the last rebellion, ungrateful c***s. Al Jazeera were notably silent on the issue incidentally.

Even in the context of everything else that's going on, this is extraordinary

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/os-jcomey-060817.pdf

Statement for the Record Senate Select Committee on Intelligence James B. Comey June 8, 2017

On the morning of April 11, the President called me and asked what I had done about his request that I “get out” that he is not personally under investigation. I replied that I had passed his request to the Acting Deputy Attorney General, but I had not heard back. He replied that “the cloud” was getting in the way of his ability to do his job. He said that perhaps he would have his people reach out to the Acting Deputy Attorney General. I said that was the way his request should be handled. I said the White House Counsel should contact the leadership of DOJ to make the request, which was the traditional channel. He said he would do that and added, “Because I have been very loyal to you, very loyal; we had that thing you know.” I did not reply or ask him what he meant by “that thing.” I said only that the way to handle it was to have the White House Counsel call the Acting Deputy Attorney General. He said that was what he would do and the call ended

That was the last time I spoke with President Trump.

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Trump's heartfelt reaction to the terror attacks in Iran. Basically, it's a shame but you deserved it.iran.png.7ccd14b670c847054ca7cdf689818bae.png

Translation "You had it coming"

This sums it up pretty well. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/06/08/terror-in-iran-reveals-the-hypocrisy-of-trump-and-his-allies/?tid=pm_pop&utm_term=.07c6121eb794

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, Stauner said:

This so called massive Comey story is a big fat zero, Trump never ordered him to do anything he only asked or suggested and even if he did order the head of the FBI to do something , he would have done nothing more than , Bush, Obama and a few more have done previously.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/1224.html

The subtext was that if he didn't drop the Flynn/Russia thing he'd fire him, which he did. That's a big no no. The power of the President to pardon people is a different thing.

Edited by welshbairn

This so called massive Comey story is a big fat zero, Trump never ordered him to do anything he only asked or suggested and even if he did order the head of the FBI to do something , he would have done nothing more than , Bush, Obama and a few more have done previously.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/1224.html

If Trump did indeed ask Comey to drop the Flynn case, then there's probably already a criminal offence taken place. If he did it on more than one occasion, it's very likely so.

Today's' testimony is going to be fascinating viewing.

ETA the Flynn situation is utterly without precedence. As much of Trump's presidency has been.

23 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

But even Comey concedes that at each meeting there is absolutely no corroboration.

Maybe so, although nobody knows exactly what Comey's going to say in testimony when pressed.    But even if uncorroborated,  that's not at all the same as the story being a "big fat zero".

In fact, it's huge.  Or bigly, if you will.   It's essentially saying the president of the USA implied that the FBI should call off the dogs, and then lied repeatedly about doing so, and then sacked the FBI director when he refused.  

Anyone know when the fireworks are due to kick off? 

There doesn't appear to be anything approaching a smoking gun. If Bill Clinton could get himself off the hook with "it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" then I don't see what would trip up Trump. The words have implications, but not orders.

I think Comey's testimony will be worth a watch regardless. 

21 minutes ago, Paco said:

There doesn't appear to be anything approaching a smoking gun. If Bill Clinton could get himself off the hook with "it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" then I don't see what would trip up Trump. The words have implications, but not orders.

3pm UK time.  

1 minute ago, Paco said:

It's 10am in Washington so 3pm here, not sure how we can watch though. I think a lot of the American broadcasters are filming but will have to find a link somewhere.

22 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

It's 10am in Washington so 3pm here, not sure how we can watch though. I think a lot of the American broadcasters are filming but will have to find a link somewhere.

It will be broadcast live, uninterrupted on CSPAN.  It'll also likely be all over Youtube and Facebook.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?429381-1/former-fbi-director-comey-set-testify-russia-probe

26 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I've been watching the Yank news channels here: http://www.hulkusc.com/watch-msnbc-live-streaming/

Doesn't work on Chrome for some reason, using IE. Should be on here too : https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/hearings/open

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

P.S. It's on BBC Parliament.

31 minutes ago, Stauner said:

The subtext, context ,hinting appeal phrasing is irrelevant, unless he said ,in front of witnesses, it was an order, it doesn't matter, even then it probably doesn't matter.

Comey is going to spend hours talking shite making allegations without any concrete evidence.

Contemporaneous notes by a witness is solid evidence if the witness is considered trustworthy and there's no contradictory evidence. If the head of the NSA and DIA confirm that Trump asked them if they could help shut down the Flynn/Russia case too, he's in even more trouble. 

Edited by welshbairn