Average Premiership Salaries

Who is the best women's team? Glasgow? One of the Arse cheeks?

I've saw the odd women's game on telly. Do you think they'd beat Bellshill Athletic? (insert your own local low pyramid team) 

I don't.

15 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Here is an unpopular opinion or maybe an unwise comment.

The women's game is a different sport. 

I'd like to see which ever women's (or maybe them all) enter the Scottish Cup at the lowest point and see who get however far.

To be fair, it's the same sport but played at a different level.

I think that the disagreement is mostly over facilities they get to use etc.

The mens side get more help in terms of training/preparing for games/getting accommodation for away games/more staff to help preparations in terms of sport science/physiotherapy than the womens side, and theyre simply asking to be treated the same way.

The media seem to have just latched onto it and spun it purely as being about money the players get.

The quote from Caroline Weir in the article is literally about money from sponsorship deals (something the SFA claims is split evenly), so you can see why it is being perceived to be about money.

As far as I'm aware, both teams train at Oriam, and from the videos I've seen the SFA put out it looks like the women's team get nice accommodation when they're away.

15 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The men's game brings fer more money.

More women watch the men's game than watch the womens.  I've female mates who follow killie everywhere but wouldn't go and watch killie ladies. That's just the probably the unpopular truth.

The men's side will make the SFA money. The womans side certainly won't.  Just about give away tickets. 

This is as ill judged as their strop about tickets being released in stages the other year. Same as any other game but they wanted all of hampden open for a stadium that ended up being 85% empty.

Is that really what promoting women's football is about?

Just speculating but I reckon the men's market (number watching) has reached about as high as it's gonna get and it's all about getting more women to part with more of their money which'll be even more important in the current economic climate.

Women's football & the use of women commentators covering the men's game is about building a base support of women who are happy to have their purses dipped and their emotions manipulated, as a guy now into my seventh decade of supporting St. Mirren my advice to the ladies is Just Say No!

Edited by btb

5 hours ago, btb said:

Is that really what promoting women's football is about?

Just speculating but I reckon the men's market (number watching) has reached about as high as it's gonna get and it's all about getting more women to part with more of their money which'll be even more important in the current economic climate.

Women's football & the use of women commentators covering the men's game is about building a base support of women who are happy to have their purses dipped and their emotions manipulated, as a guy now into my seventh decade of supporting St. Mirren my advice to the ladies is Just Say No!

Interesting take.

Killed at birth about a 100 years.

My reading of it is female football took off when the young men went off to WW1.

Preston in England and Rutherglen in Scotland were hotbeds of women's football. They seem to have attracted crowds. Think Preston females attracted 20/30K to games. WW1 ends and the puritans North and South of the border hunt women's football by threat to any league team allowing the use of the stadiums.

Go from 1918 and a few years after it till 1978 and Scotland Ladies International team play Scotland Ladies B team before a League Cup final.

Level that day thinking back from nearly 45 years later was maybe present day Lowland League.

I thought it was a gimmick in 1978.

My view having watched it live at local level several times pre Covid hasn't changed.

Edited by PossilYM

On 14/11/2016 at 21:06, Tibbermoresaint said:

CxNMZqsXUAAnn4c.jpgAccording to Sporting Intelligence anyway.

CxNMZqsXUAAnn4c.jpg

Remember back about 30 years ago one of the football financial gurus in Scotland stating any league team that was paying out more than 60% of it's annual income in wages was in long term trouble.

Was anyone else of the understanding that national teams, mens teams anyway, gave any appearance fees to designated charities? That is certainly what I have always believed to be the case - I think England do this anyway.

For me, in terms of facilities, accommodation and organisation then the womens team should absolutely be treated the exact same as the mens teams. If the funding for those trips are through sponsorship partners, then those sponsorships should be split equally to fund those things. The SFA should be avoiding sponsors who only want to sponsor the mens team, unless a sponsor can be found for the womens team that offer the same level of sponsorship.

If the fight is to do with increasing flat rate appearance fees to be equal with the men, then again I dont have an issue with it at all. But it is a bit of a bad look if the mens team give that money to charities and the womens team pocket it*.

*This take heavily caveated based on whether the mens team give their money to charity and acknowledgment that male players earn significantly more than female players at club level

14 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Was anyone else of the understanding that national teams, mens teams anyway, gave any appearance fees to designated charities? That is certainly what I have always believed to be the case - I think England do this anyway.

The English Women's Super league on the other hand pays similar wages to St Johnstone or the bottom end of the salary scale for doctors. So if you're at the top of the Womens game you're making decent money for a twenty-something but if you give up a couple of grand in appearance money then you're going to miss it

If you're on Jack Grealish money then donating your England money to charity is probably better than letting it get lost  down the back of the couch

In Scotland players don't get "appearance money" but they do get a cut of the tournament prize money which is greater in the mens game hence the problem
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23197904.scotland-vs-sfa-sides-womens-team-battle-explained/

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)