January tweeking

After a pretty horrendous run of form many of our fans are calling for pretty wholesale changes to our squad. I feel if we could ship out a couple and maybe add in another 2 or 3 then we will be laughing. Our players didnt all just turn in to bad players overnight. Something has to have went on behind the scenes, and Im hoping the encouraging display against Falkirk is an end to the saga. I would look to try and get rid of Rigg and Tapping to start with. Rigg just doesnt offer enough of anything to justify keeping him and given he came from Carlisle United I can imagine his wage will be fairly high. Usually I would be against releasing injured players but Rigg isnt good enough and Tapping has taken a wage long enough now not to feel hard done by getting punted. He is though a pretty if unspectacular player. I would also loan out Pickard to a league 2 team to get him up to speed with professional football. He is still young enough to turn things round and has been relied on more than he is ready for at this stage. I feel we certainly need a centre mid and the name which stands out as a realistic target is young Aberdeen cm Craig Storie. He is a Glasgow boy who needs game time at this stage. We could probably also do with a right back and another winger. Names which stand out for me are Jordan McMillan and David Templeton. No idea what kind of state McMillan is in now though. What does each other team feel they need

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In January for us:-

We'll see the back of Scott Roberts as he gets punted back to Rangers( hopefully...please let it happen Locke.)

Jordan Thompson's loans up as well so he may end up heading back to Rangers, hopefully not though, if he does, we'll see the return of David Bates from Rangers as it was a Development loan swap.

We'll probably send out a couple of youngsters on loan like Yaw Osei and Andreus Thorsen to get some game time so they can crack on and stake a place in the side.

Locke mentioned that he's going to be in the market for a big 'target man type' striker. Ryan Hardies looking like he's going back to Rangers from St Mirren so Drysdale or Locke/Jackson should be at least enquiring about bringing him back. He enjoyed his time here, got game time every week and scored goals for fun, including a hatrick, ironically against St Mirren :lol:

We'll also have Jason Thomson, Craig Barr and Scott Robertson back which Locke has already stated will be like 3 brand new signings.

We need another striker in and maybe 2 depending on whether Quitongo leaves in January if a decent bid comes in for him. Add another winger as well and we should have a decent team to have a go at reaching the play-offs. There's chat of Andy Little coming in to train with us this week but who knows.

Probably see Scullion finally leave us after his 5th 6 month contract coming to an end. Shame for the guy but if he's going to make it as a footballer he needs to go somewhere else to get a game as Duffy seems reluctant to use him due to his size in height as well as width. Talented player though.

Caolan McAleer should rightly see the door as well. Just not good enough for this level.

Unfortunately Kudus Oyenuga is under contract until the end of the season. I'd punt him as well if we could.

Most United fans seem to be in agreement that we need a striker as an absolute must. Someone with the ability to bring others in to play would be ideal as we have enough in the three behind to cause problems. We could do with another wide player as long as they are a proper winger (we have too many 'attacking midfielders' and not enough pace).

Can't see anyone leaving although I previously thought Smith might have headed back to Aberdeen but given McKinnon's positive comments and Aberdeen's depth of squad he might end up staying.

After a pretty horrendous run of form many of our fans are calling for pretty wholesale changes to our squad. I feel if we could ship out a couple and maybe add in another 2 or 3 then we will be laughing. Our players didnt all just turn in to bad players overnight. Something has to have went on behind the scenes, and Im hoping the encouraging display against Falkirk is an end to the saga. I would look to try and get rid of Rigg and Tapping to start with. Rigg just doesnt offer enough of anything to justify keeping him and given he came from Carlisle United I can imagine his wage will be fairly high. Usually I would be against releasing injured players but Rigg isnt good enough and Tapping has taken a wage long enough now not to feel hard done by getting punted. He is though a pretty if unspectacular player. I would also loan out Pickard to a league 2 team to get him up to speed with professional football. He is still young enough to turn things round and has been relied on more than he is ready for at this stage. I feel we certainly need a centre mid and the name which stands out as a realistic target is young Aberdeen cm Craig Storie. He is a Glasgow boy who needs game time at this stage. We could probably also do with a right back and another winger. Names which stand out for me are Jordan McMillan and David Templeton. No idea what kind of state McMillan is in now though. What does each other team feel they need

A right back and left winger needed firstly, Jordan McMillan will certainly fit the bill for that.

We have Farid El Alagui out of contract in January as well as Ciaran Lafferty (U20s striker) while John Herron's loan ends from Blackpool. Main priority has to be keeping Herron, whether that is extending the loan or him joining permanently (presumably that isn't viable though, as we wouldn't be able to pay a fee). If we can secure his services at least until the summer, I would look to do the same with Farid next. 

With Ben Richards-Everton out for the season, we desperately need another CB and I think a more experienced RB would be good too. I don't actually think we need that much, tbh, in terms of squad changes, just a couple of defenders to add depth and experience into that area is what I would expect the management tram to be looking at. 

In terms of outs, the manager has said some players who aren't getting enough game time may well want to leave. The obvious one is Lewis Spence who has just returned from a loan spell at Brechin. He may wish to go permanently to keep playing first team football. I can't think of many others, though. Possibly Hopkirk but I think if he wasn't as unlucky as he has been with injuries, he would be a much more integral part of the squad overall. Another name you might've thought would be frustrated would be Michael Moffat but after Saturday, that may be all changed now....

5 hours ago, football maniac said:

I would look to try and get rid of Rigg and Tapping to start with. Rigg just doesnt offer enough of anything to justify keeping him and given he came from Carlisle United I can imagine his wage will be fairly high. Usually I would be against releasing injured players but Rigg isnt good enough and Tapping has taken a wage long enough now not to feel hard done by getting punted. He is though a pretty if unspectacular player.

You know you can't just "release" injured players without paying them right? Why would they agree to leave for less than their contract says they are due?

Both El Alagui and John Herron are here until January. Don't know what to make of El Alagui but I think extending Herron's loan is vital. 

As for bringing in other players: probably another centre back and right back would be what we're needing after injuries plaguing our defence recently. Jordan McMillan and Craig Reid are out of contract. Make either of them happen, AJ. Think this would only happen if we shifted a few fringe players and El Alagui left. 

In January for us:-

We'll see the back of Scott Roberts as he gets punted back to Rangers( hopefully...please let it happen Locke.)

Jordan Thompson's loans up as well so he may end up heading back to Rangers, hopefully not though, if he does, we'll see the return of David Bates from Rangers as it was a Development loan swap.

We'll probably send out a couple of youngsters on loan like Yaw Osei and Andreus Thorsen to get some game time so they can crack on and stake a place in the side.

Locke mentioned that he's going to be in the market for a big 'target man type' striker. Ryan Hardies looking like he's going back to Rangers from St Mirren so Drysdale or Locke/Jackson should be at least enquiring about bringing him back. He enjoyed his time here, got game time every week and scored goals for fun, including a hatrick, ironically against St Mirren :lol:

We'll also have Jason Thomson, Craig Barr and Scott Robertson back which Locke has already stated will be like 3 brand new signings.

Forgot to add, Declan Gallagher was rumoured to be signing upon his release from Prison, not sure if it's still the case though.

In: Christian Nade, Scott Agnew, a Winger.
Out: Mark Brown, Craig Pettigrew, Ryan Stevenson.
Please.

Not disagreeing with you but I'm not sure going back to old favourites is the way to save our season.
Nade we all love but I'm not sure he's the answer, he's unlikely to be as prolific and make as much of a difference as last year.
Agnew, it hasn't really happened for him since he left us, maybe he would come good again for us but we're not exactly playing expansive football and he's not the kind of player that's going to give us a bit of dig in midfield. We do need some creativity in there though I do agree!

Yes I'd love to punt brown stevo and pettigrew

Aye, I wasn't really serious. Neither Nade or Agnew are guaranteed to be good but it would certainly cheer me up. We definitely need a striker at least though, if there's room for a midfielder after that I'd be happy with Agnew. Probably asking a bit much though.

We are probably sending Walsh and Hardie back to Rangers. I'd imagine players like Callum Gallagher, Webster, Hutton, Langfield will be told to find clubs.

We were desperate for a central midfielder but with the emergence of Magennis in the team it isn't a priority. Would be nice to bring in a central defender, central midfielder and a striker if possible.

Archived