Old Firm Colts in L2

41 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The coaches are saying U20's v U20's is lacking  a competitive edge this is the reason why they have been introduced into the challenge cup.

And they would be going into league they couldn't leave at either end not very competitve that.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not about results it's about developing their talent. 

Its about results for the other 10 sides though either for promotion and relegation the inclusion of 2 colts teams is taking the competition away from the league if they don't  need to bother about winning or losing.

3 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Its about results for the other 10 sides though either for promotion and relegation the inclusion of 2 colts teams is taking the competition away from the league if they don't  need to bother about winning or losing.

But they gain the competitive edge that is lacking in the development league from the senior pros,weather they are cannon fodder or winning the league.

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not about results it's about developing their talent. 

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

But they gain the competitive edge that is lacking in the development league from the senior pros,weather they are cannon fodder or winning the league.

It's  not about results, it's gaining the competitive edge, do you see any contradiction there?

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That's what i'm getting at its a benefit for the Colts side but not for the other 10 teams are they really getting a competitive edge if it dosn't mean anything result wise. I get it about them playing adults instead of youngsters but if you don't have to bother about the result it surely  takes the edge away,

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

A bunch of games against part-timers that mean nothing, with no incentives for success or consequences for failure, other than learning what it's like to get beaten up by bigger lads every week.

It is absolutely mystifying that some folk still think that this would be any different to the Development League for players' progression, other than perhaps slightly more demoralising. If there's a genuine desire to provide meaningful competitive experience for youngsters, bring back the Reserve League, or insist that every club has to play a minimum number of weans in their first team.

These aren't options on the table because the sponsors of the 'B' team idea aren't interested. Why would that be?

More dosh and the trickle down effect.

The former is nonsense, and I assume the latter is polite slang for League Two being pished upon by Rangers and Celtic.

More dosh and the trickle down effect.

It won't be a net gain though, because people don't want to watch youth teams, so regulars won't go, leading to a loss.

I don't think you're really committed to the proposal, as you can't raise an argument for it that is very convincing. I do think you'd get behind any suggestions made by your team, regardless of how poor they are.

Not dosh more like 30 pieces of silver you will have to explain what you mean by trickle down effect 
Rather than trickle down meaning that the old firm are pishing on the legs of league two teams, I think he's referring to the thousands of old firm fans who'll attend their Colt games when their team is away from home.

Add to this the thousands of pies and Bovrils sold, the lucrative Sky contact and the funding from nil by mouth.

What's not to like?

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Chris McCart's job is to develop young players at Celtic - if you look at that in isolation then this proposal will do that or at least has a likelihood of doing that - so quite sensible from that perspective

8 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

McCart said: “Obviously we’re disappointed with the fans’ reaction but this is going to happen at some stage so we need to get the issues addressed and let the clubs know this isn’t about Celtic and Rangers, this is about working for Scottish football. 

So let me get this right CC. On one hand you praise Chris McCart for looking after the interests of his own club's youngsters, yet by McCart's own admission, this proposal isn't about the old firm but for the benefit of Scottish football. You come across as an intelligent man so could you please reconcile your contradiction of McCart's own statement for us, so that we might gain a better understanding of the intellectual level that your insightful commentary emanates from?

3 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Not dosh more like 30 pieces of silver you will have to explain what you mean by trickle down effect 

Players in Celtic's colt team will be lucky to get 2 or 3 years in the development squad,then Celtic would be lucky to get 3 or 4 players that make the grade into Celtic's first team(unless we get the equivalent of the class of 92)
The rest of the players that don't make the grade trickle down the leagues.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Those comments from McCart are staggeringly stupid. However it makes me wonder whether he has been given some kind of assurances from the SPFL that Colt sides will be allowed into the league in the very near future almost regardless. Or he is just that fucking thick.

It's worth considering, but to be honest, I just suspect he is that fucking thick. 

I can see such tawdry attempts coming back in the future, but for now, I think it represents petulant, impotent bleating about a defeat he's too stupid and insensitive to understand.

57 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Is that a veiled hint that not only do they want "Colt" teams in League Two, but they also want summer football?

49 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

That's what i'm getting at its a benefit for the Colts side but not for the other 10 teams are they really getting a competitive edge if it dosn't mean anything result wise. I get it about them playing adults instead of youngsters but if you don't have to bother about the result it surely  takes the edge away,

42 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The former is nonsense, and I assume the latter is polite slang for League Two being pished upon by Rangers and Celtic.

40 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It won't be a net gain though, because people don't want to watch youth teams, so regulars won't go, leading to a loss.

I don't think you're really committed to the proposal, as you can't raise an argument for it that is very convincing. I do think you'd get behind any suggestions made by your team, regardless of how poor they are.

You guys are very good at picking up on the negatives of the proposal have you any positives to bring to the table?