93-?? Kilmarnock top flight run - a history.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, with the current 3 week break I thought it would be the best time to start it.

Kilmarnock have had a glorious run in the top flight which is still ongoing (possibly not for much longer but that's been said every year). During that time a lot of teams have came in and out of the league and there have been numerous major events in Scottish football during the time.

This is intended as half serious and half a WUM thread to be totally honest. I'm hoping that other people will contribute with info about their clubs during the respective seasons. My own personal experiences will be built in from roughly 95-2010 during which I rarely missed a home game and got to away games quite regularly. From 2010 onwards I spent less and less time at Rugby Park but will still have stuff to share.

I've started a few nostalgia type threads in the past and I do have quite an interest in late 90s/early 00s Scottish football as, due to my age, it was probably the most important thing in my life at the time.

No doubt this will get shot down as an idea but I'll persevere and hopefully build some good discussion about football and everything else.

Here goes.....

93/94 - Kilmarnock return to the big time.

7th August 1993 saw the return of Scottish footballs oldest club back to the top flight. Kilmarnock had fought a tough battle in the previous season to finish 2nd in the old 1st Division behind run-away winners Raith Rovers. Rovers were, in my eyes, a big rival of ours during the 90s and we seemed to be in and around their league position for many years - either challenging for promotion or fighting relegation.

93/94 was always going to be a very testing season to join the top flight as reconstruction was planned for the end of that season with the division reducing from 12 teams to 10. This resulted in 3 relegation places being available that season - 25% of the division. However Kilmarnock did have a slight advantage over the others with our manager Tommy Burns, an ambitious board and a club who had a real togetherness.

The season started well for Kilmarnock with a 1-0 win over Dundee on the opening day. This would mark the start of a poor season for the men from Dens who were eventually relegated finishing in 12th place with just 29 points (11 from safety in the end).

Kilmarnock's goal that day was scored by new signing Tam Brown who had been signed from Glenafton Juniors in the summer. This was quite unique for a player to make such a jump in level but Brown was a great player for us during his time with the club.

There was an early shock that season when we went to Ibrox and defeated Rangers by 2-1, Rangers first home league defeat in over 18 months I believe.

After a strong start to the season we suffered quite badly over the winter months and were in danger of dropping back into Division 1. Things picked up in the spring with wins over both of the Old Firm at home. I was at the 2-0 victory over Celtic but my main memory was Rudi Vata breaking his arm and screaming in pain right in front of me.

Eventually our mix of youth, experience and journeymen - held together by Burns - managed to keep us in the top flight on goal difference following a 0-0 draw with Hibs at Easter Road. Dundee and Raith were already gone by this time and St Johnstone lost out to both ourselves and Partick on goal difference to join them in Div 1 for the next season.

For the other sides it was a successful season for Motherwell finishing 3rd and only 4 points behind Rangers. Under the tutelage of Tommy McLean Motherwell had a very good run in the early 90s and in 93/94 the signing of Paul Lambert helped them to their relative success.

Aberdeen ended up a point ahead of Motherwell but I'm not sure if it would be classed as a great season for them. A brief run in the old Cup Winners Cup was ended early by Torino of Italy in the second round. Aberdeen seemed to have had a fantastic squad at this time with Duncan Shearer, Eion Jess, Scott Booth and big Mixu being some notable names.

Celtic struggled to a 4th place finish and manager Liam Brady was sacked in October 93 and replaced by Lou Macari. These managerial changes would have a big impact on my club not too far in the future.

League Champions - Rangers

Scottish Cup - Dundee Utd

League Cup - Rangers

In other news:

Ayr failed to win promotion to the top league.

14 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

7th August 1993 saw the return of Scottish footballs oldest club back to the top flight. Kilmarnock had fought a tough battle in the previous season to finish 2nd in the old 1st Division behind run-away winners Raith Rovers. Rovers were, in my eyes, a big rival of ours during the 90s and we seemed to be in and around their league position for many years - either challenging for promotion or fighting relegation.

Queens Park got promoted to the top division?

I love it Dindy!!

Unfortunately for you I'm a Celtic fan so you may not want to hear my thoughts but I'll persevere [emoji12]

When Killie were promoted we were a bit of a shambles on and off the park at the time. Wee fergus came in and saved us and stole Tommy Burns from you. One thing I always remember about Killie around the mid 90s was that we always seemed to draw with each other. Seem to recall a couple of comebacks from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 and that makes me think we always drew with you.

Killie played a massive part in one of the greatest days of my life (in terms of football). 9th May 1998, we stopped 10 in a row with a 2-0 win against St Johnstone at an incomplete Celtic Park. A result that wouldn't have mattered if Killie hadn't won at Ibrox the week before with a delightful finish from Ally Mitchell late on.

Rugby Park was also the host of my first ever away match on my own during the 99/00 season. Another draw, 1-1, with Mark Viduka scoring for us.

Killie were also the cause of one of my worst football experiences. After spending 2 days travelling back from Seville I got home with an hour to spare before we played at Rugby Park for the title decider as Rangers played at home to Dunfermline. A 4-0 win and a penalty miss meant we missed out on the title as Rangers beat Dunfermline 6-1 with a last minute penalty to win the league by a single goal. Having to watch that Rangers team win the treble that year after the season we had was absolutely heartbreaking.

Other memories include being 3-0 down at half time with Lennon facing the sack to coming back to draw 3-3. Losing the cup final to you lot. Big Tam Rogic wonder goal to effectively clinch the title last season. Nakas free kick in the last minute to clinch the title.

I used to like Killie when they were averaging around 11,000 every week and finishing top 4. Seemed like a big club to me in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Now they seem like a wee diddy club. In saying that, you are averaging just over 5,000 this season which is pretty damn good considering what's been going on with the club and the chairman.

Overall a decent club who I think belong in the top league. Just wish they would get crowds like the late 90s again.

That post may be a bit of an incoherent mess, just let my thoughts spew out haha f**k it [emoji16]

1 minute ago, Tartantony said:

Now they seem like a wee diddy club.

I agree, the fall of our club in the last 10 years or so has been quite dramatic.

However I must temper this by guessing that our late 90s peak was possibly a bit "over and above" where we should expect to be.  Not really sure and I'm sure that will have offended some of my fellow Killie fans.

Always been a bit jealous of Killie's longevity in the top flight. I'm a bit older and remember the days of the mid to late 80s when Accies regularly got the better of you. Remember destroying you 2-0 going on six with ten men for most of second half in 87/88. The only ground I've seen us win more games at is Cappielow. But 23 years is some record. I remember that early Ibrox win. Mark Roberts and Bobby Williamson if I'm not mistaken.

33 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

League Champions - Rangers

Scottish Cup - Dundee Utd

League Cup - Rangers

In other news:

Ayr failed to win promotion to the top league.

Can't believe you missed the glorious 1992/93 season :(

Spoiler

08DCE267-B3BD-4682-9888-9654353581C9-493-00000117393FBD69_tmp.png

11 minutes ago, Costanza said:

No mention of Rangers playing Mark Hateley at centre half in their penultimate game of the season against Killie? Surprised by that.

Never heard of this until now to be honest.  What was the reasoning for that? 

I think I'm right in saying Hateley played more than 1 game in this position as I seem to remember him being moved there when he returned to Rangers in 1996 or 1997?

6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

No mention of Rangers playing Mark Hateley at centre half in their penultimate game of the season against Killie? Surprised by that.

I was going to mention just that! Complete lack of integrity from Rangers. Saints conceded in injury time at home to Aberdeen on the penultimate weekend but managed to win at Motherwell on the final day, denying them second place, and I can remember more than one occasion when a busy away end erupted when false scores came through from Firhill and Easter Road.

The damage for us was done in the final throes of John McClelland's tenure. After Paul Sturrock took over, only the Old Firm, Aberdeen and Killie beat us over the last 27 games of the season. Three teams down was a killer though.

In 570 minutes of football between Saints and Killie in 1993 and 1994, the clubs managed 3 goals. Enthralling stuff.