Uefa nations league

Bambino7

Do Macedonia hate Kosovo? I'm hoping for some sort of scenes. Hate it when UEFA ruin the competition by keeping the teams that hate each other apart. 
I think Macedonia were one of the first countries to recognise Kosovo as a nation? So they probably get on well with each other

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
33 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:
Do Macedonia hate Kosovo? I'm hoping for some sort of scenes. Hate it when UEFA ruin the competition by keeping the teams that hate each other apart. 

I think Macedonia were one of the first countries to recognise Kosovo as a nation? So they probably get on well with each other

Bugger. 

Macedonia has a significant ethnic Albanian population (around a quarter) and Kosovar Albanians are 80% of Kosovo, so for any scenes to emerge it would take a pretty significant anti-Albanian feeling from the Macedonians which doesn't exist to the extent it does with Serbs (I believe). 

Edit: Just looked it up and apparently 92% of the Kosovar population is Ethnic Albanian.

I think the nations league has been a massive success in the hope its given to small countries who previously could look forward to nothing more than being mere cannon fodder in qualifiers.

I think its dropped the ball somewhat in doing the mini tournament thing for the top teams only,though, I think fans of the teams from C&D especially would have enjoyed a week somewhere too,especially as chances are none of them will qualify through the normal route

It's been grand so far but I'll wait to see how it affects the Euros before getting too over enthusiastic. The last Euros had a lot of dull games as, outside the top ten nations or so, most teams play a 4-5-1 (or similar) system with one up top and stifling opponents to hit them on the break. Teams from the C/D groups will be more of the same, possibly worse, so I wonder if the novelty of seeing Estonia or Montenegro qualify will counter some of the poorer games we'll see.

I think the nations league has been a massive success in the hope its given to small countries who previously could look forward to nothing more than being mere cannon fodder in qualifiers.
I think its dropped the ball somewhat in doing the mini tournament thing for the top teams only,though, I think fans of the teams from C&D especially would have enjoyed a week somewhere too,especially as chances are none of them will qualify through the normal route
They don't have enough time for a "finals" for any of the other leagues. The only way they can fit it in for League A is by having those sides drawn into qualifying groups of 5 rather than 6.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:
3 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

They don't have enough time for a "finals" for any of the other leagues. The only way they can fit it in for League A is by having those sides drawn into qualifying groups of 5 rather than 6.

you,sir, are the font of all knowledge for this competition,theyd be better having you on the telly rather than some of the overpaid  know nothings we are usually subjected to

Didn't like the sound of it at the outset but have definitely been converted. Granted, the next campaign when we step up a level might result in 4 pumpings but overall having so many similarly matched sides facing up to each other has been great to watch as a spectator.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Looks as though the Good Cop/Bad Cop pairing of Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane have left the Republic of Ireland after their fairly dismal showing

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46289969

So it's not just countries who've done well that are treating this  competition seriously

6 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Looks as though the Good Cop/Bad Cop pairing of Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane have left the Republic of Ireland after their fairly dismal showing

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46289969

The Irish FA should have punted them after their savage pumping in the play-offs last year. Instead they were rewarded with a new contract at the start of the year.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Good chance the C & D division playoffs in March 2020 will effectively be those finals tournaments anyway, although granted hosted in 2-3 countries and no 3rd-4th playoff.

On 20/11/2018 at 16:47, RandomGuy. said:

In England and book stores are filled with "from zero to hero, the Gareth Southgate story" and "2018, England's Heroes" books.

Haud me back.

Also a "footballing heroes series" with books describing the life stories of "this era's footballing greats"...

Messi, Ronaldo, Pickford, Maguire and Trippier.

Archived