Blast From The Past!

Not strictly a massive blast from the past but there was a show on Channel 4 in the early 2000s maybe 2002/3 which got cancelled after about two episodes. It had the premise of kids being quite rude and obnoxious to celebrities and was quite controversial at the time. Some of my friends can remember it but not what it was called, does anyone else know? It was about the time No Angels was on.

57 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

Not strictly a massive blast from the past but there was a show on Channel 4 in the early 2000s maybe 2002/3 which got cancelled after about two episodes. It had the premise of kids being quite rude and obnoxious to celebrities and was quite controversial at the time. Some of my friends can remember it but not what it was called, does anyone else know? It was about the time No Angels was on.

Balls of Steel maybe? Tom Cruise was squirted with a water gun.

They made more than 2 episodes of that though.

In the 70's before the age of the modern light weight football there was the leather clad mitre 5. The ball after a few months of wear and tear lost it's shiny surface and when along with your mates playing in wet weather would get saturated with water and become heavy and weighed far more than usual.

NOW?, getting a wet leather bladder in the face from a toe basher was needless to say was FUCKING painful and would often sting like hell along with ringing in your ears for a while. Even more so when it slammed into your nutsack at 60 odd miles an hour. Another common problem was bruised toes from toe bashing that spherical missile that was the equivalent weight of a medicine ball.

Telestar_1974GERMANY.jpg

24 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

In the 70's before the age of the modern light weight football there was the leather clad mitre 5. The ball after a few months of wear and tear lost it's shiny surface and when along with your mates playing in wet weather would get saturated with water and become heavy and weighed far more than usual.

NOW?, getting a wet leather bladder in the face from a toe basher was needless to say was FUCKING painful and would often sting like hell along with ringing in your ears for a while. Even more so when it slammed into your nutsack at 60 odd miles an hour. Another common problem was bruised toes from toe bashing that spherical missile that was the equivalent weight of a medicine ball.

Telestar_1974GERMANY.jpg

Playing for the school one frosty morning over at Wester Hails. Now we used the orange moulded Mitre balls. Wee dimples on it.. Anyway smashed into my thigh and I had Mitre tattooed on my now pink thigh. By f**k that strung like.

Know what you mean about they leather balls as well. We called them a Philly for some reason that I can't remember. Also if they split you'd take out the inside and use that.

Mind a game at Tynie when one of the Tango balls got booted into the old shed pre match practice, my big brother just kept it.

Police didn't go into the shed much in those days if they didn't have to.

Anyway I was well popular in the scheme . Everyone was wanting to get a "take on" using the Tango.

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

These fuckers. Didn't matter how straight you tried to kick it, it would either go left or right!! eecbaf3bfe9764a24ee2183986240c1c.jpg

Ah, the old magic like bendy ball. :wub: Absolutely fucking useless and hilarious fun in high winds watching it coming back to attack you like a balloon from The Prisoner after a mighty wallop into the wind. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I remember at primary school, whoever initiated a game of football, or anything else for that matter was the owner of that game.

If you were late and wanted to join in you had first to find out "whose game is it?" Then seek permission to join/be allocated to a team.

Haha bang on..

We also played 2 corners= a penalty rule as well.

The big games were the scheme v scheme games. These were hard core like. Pretty tasty.

Gracemount V Burdiehouse etc. 

You lucky b*****d! - should have tried playing football with one of your dad's hand-me-downs from the sixties - laces and a valve!! Laces used to fray, hang longer at one side and whip into your face. Valve just used to bloody hurt anywhere!

affa542d3e844ff6f8614bc0b1f8a526.jpg

3 minutes ago, Heart of Northern said:

Playing for the school one frosty morning over at Wester Hails. Now we used the orange moulded Mitre balls. Wee dimples on it.. Anyway smashed into my thigh and I had Mitre tattooed on my now pink thigh. By f**k that strung like.

Know what you mean about they leather balls as well. We called them a Philly for some reason that I can't remember. Also if they split you'd take out the inside and use that.

I do remember when the moulded Mitre balls were first introduced, also great for playing basketball when nobody wanted to play kick about.