Blast From The Past!

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

The more courteous students would be sporting one of these:

b8472d1130290063e7a24b19819d1483.jpg

I had two of those, got them both one Xmas and refused to let my parents return one. Put me up in popularity for a week or two until they became more common and I shuffled back into my rightful insignificant role.

On 14/02/2017 at 00:20, mizfit said:

90's kids telly was unreal, I forgot about biker mice from mars, up there with street sharks.

Oh aye, even before Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon really kicked off here.

Pretty sure Biker Mice From Mars and Street Sharks were on C4? Samurai Pizza Cats too! Forgot about that one.

I remember at the summer holidays going to my grans house for nearly 2 months proper buzzing because she looked after all the kids when the parents were working, so we'd either be outside for most of the day playing football or chappy, if it was raining (rarely did though back then, used to get cracking summers) we'd all watch Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.

6 hours ago, Eednud said:

Benson & Hedges ad with Spike Milligan & Peter Sellers. Were these only shown in cinemas?

I think this would date from the period when Sellers was in Cyprus to film a movie called "Ghost in the Noonday Sun":

"Shortly after filming began, Peter Sellers began to lose confidence in the project and when Spike Milligan arrived on location to shoot his scenes, Sellers asked him to assess the footage that had been shot thus far. Milligan was unimpressed, which led to Sellers trying to convince Peter Medak to assist him in a scheme to get the production shut down. Medak refused to comply. Sellers subsequently became deliberately uncooperative and would often pretend to be sick, only to be later spotted water-skiing the same day. Sellers caused further upset by agreeing to shoot a cigarette commercial during one of the few off-days in the filming schedule, drafting in an unwilling Peter Medak to direct it, and then on the day refusing to be filmed holding the cigarette packet because he claimed to be the chairman of the Anti-Smoking League.[1]

Released several years after filming was wrapped and after Sellers' death (1980) in the 1980s, the film was semi-completed and released on VHS. The film never received a full cinematic release."

Sellers played a character called Dick Scratcher..... :lol:

I think this would date from the period when Sellers was in Cyprus to film a movie called "Ghost in the Noonday Sun":
"Shortly after filming began, Peter Sellers began to lose confidence in the project and when Spike Milligan arrived on location to shoot his scenes, Sellers asked him to assess the footage that had been shot thus far. Milligan was unimpressed, which led to Sellers trying to convince Peter Medak to assist him in a scheme to get the production shut down. Medak refused to comply. Sellers subsequently became deliberately uncooperative and would often pretend to be sick, only to be later spotted water-skiing the same day. Sellers caused further upset by agreeing to shoot a cigarette commercial during one of the few off-days in the filming schedule, drafting in an unwilling Peter Medak to direct it, and then on the day refusing to be filmed holding the cigarette packet because he claimed to be the chairman of the Anti-Smoking League.[1]
Released several years after filming was wrapped and after Sellers' death (1980) in the 1980s, the film was semi-completed and released on VHS. The film never received a full cinematic release."
Sellers played a character called Dick Scratcher..... [emoji38]

By all accounts Sellers was a lunatic.

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

The adverts for those are ridiculous.

:(

In Kilmarnock, we had "Food Giant":

maxresdefault.jpg

It was cheap as chips and their standard (free in those days) carrier bag was as strong as steel.  Was a bit of a smelly place to do a shop, but sold this at around 10p a bottle if I remember right:

Cresta_Lemonade_2_Litre.jpg

ASDA moved into the town which pretty much sealed Food Giant's fate.  Strange really, as ASDA was about 25% more expensive, although they had a much better selection of groceries, with the added 'enticement' of their clothing and home range.  Maybe reflective of less austere times in the town.

Food Giant might actually be successful if they relaunched now, but they'd be competing against Aldi and Lidl.

Anyone else have a Food Giant?

14 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Here is a pic of a BMX bike I loved and cared for, a Raliegh Pro Burner. The stunts, the bumps, the bruises and good times. Was like that when first bought but added loadsa cool stuff like that laid back seat post that broke and shredded my brothers rear end and nutsack. You can see in the pic how and why his nut sack got sucked into the space between the tyre and brake. :)

JTBLUE.jpg

Mine had yellow plastic spokes, you must've had the posh version.

Remember a few mates that had hand me down grifters which weighed a ton and usually had broken gears.