Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

These are 5000 energised folk who will be up for doing whatever campaigning can be done for May's election let alone a referendum campaign. As Werner Herzog says, do not avert your eyes.
Nearly 10000 mate
Also despite 10000 being vastly more than LD membership, the BBC have no mention of this on their website...strange

3 minutes ago, Pato said:

These are 5000 energised folk who will be up for doing whatever campaigning can be done for May's election let alone a referendum campaign. As Werner Herzog says, do not avert your eyes.

Aye but I reckon they're also 5000 fickle people that would have been up for it come May anyway...

As someone that's proudly never been a member of a political party despite how I get told otherwise by other people on here you'll forgive me for not being so fussed. 

I don't think these coming elections matter much from a Unionist perspective, if the SNP vote completely collapsed sure that would be brilliant but I can very easily see Westminster saying "Naw" with or without a majority. 

I'll open my eyes again when you guys either astonishingly get granted a referendum or when you guys go for one of they wee rogue Catalonia style ones. That would be very interesting, in a bad way though. 

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
25 minutes ago, Stormzy said:
I failed to see this distinction made anywhere tbf  
You guys borrowed the Seville calculator by any chance? 

You will see it clearly if you have/create a SNP account. On you go, I'll second you!!

😂 

An ambitious attempt, I liked it but you'll have to do a little better than that! 

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Nearly 10000 mate
Also despite 10000 being vastly more than LD membership, the BBC have no mention of this on their website...strange

The Lib Dems will also remain the go-to opposition party of choice for commentary on government policy when Labour are busy.

They'd be as well asking the cat.

58 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If only she answered this about half a dozen times on Wednesday. You might not like or believe the explanation, but she's given one.

Yeah, if the biggest fault you can find in someone is being sanctimonious and smug in broadly having policies you agree with then that's good going.

Only she didn't answer it half a dozen times.  She hasn't provided an explanation for why a pre-arranged meeting that was clearly to do with government business was not officially recorded.

Interesting article from Henry McLeish former FM of Scotland

Thought he comes across very well and puts a balanced view on things. This is from a man who did resign for breaking Ministerial  code, so he could have gone for obvious route of she has to go.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/salmond-sturgeon-must-stop-knocking-100237228.html

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Aye but I reckon they're also 5000 fickle people that would have been up for it come May anyway...

As someone that's proudly never been a member of a political party despite how I get told otherwise by other people on here you'll forgive me for not being so fussed. 

I don't think these coming elections matter much from a Unionist perspective, if the SNP vote completely collapsed sure that would be brilliant but I can very easily see Westminster saying "Naw" with or without a majority. 

I'll open my eyes again when you guys either astonishingly get granted a referendum or when you guys go for one of they wee rogue Catalonia style ones. That would be very interesting, in a bad way though. 

The point is that whether it's 5 or 5000 new SNP members it clearly indicates that the tory attack/assault on NS failed miserably and as I predicted it only strengthened the resolve of the SNP, as I mentioned a few times before all that Votes of No Confidence and resignation calls did was to create a siege mentality among the membership and new applicants.

It's over, yet no doubt Salmond and the tories will come up with some more shite which will also fail. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

Only she didn't answer it half a dozen times.  She hasn't provided an explanation for why a pre-arranged meeting that was clearly to do with government business was not officially recorded.
She had nothing to do with the investigation. It was party business. Or even personal business, if you like.

3 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

Interesting article from Henry McLeish former FM of Scotland

Thought he comes across very well and puts a balanced view on things. This is from a man who did resign for breaking Ministerial  code, so he could have gone for obvious route of she has to go.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/salmond-sturgeon-must-stop-knocking-100237228.html

He has also stated this morning that, 'There's no serious path towards the FM's resignation'.

He also said that Nicola had rebutted all the allegations against her made by Alex Salmond.

Thanks for the Honesty Henry but try and tell that to Bailey.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

She said each time she was asked that prior to the meeting she was under the impression it was party business. After being told what it was actually about and discovering it was therefore government business at the meeting, she was worried that recording it after the fact would risk influencing an investigation through indicating her awareness of it.

You can reject that explanation as unbelievable or unjustified - particularly with the second part it would be understandable to think that isn't a valid excuse - but she clearly has provided an explanation.

I'm forced to conclude that you are therefore deliberately misleading P&B and are breaking the poster's code. #STRICHENERMUSTRESIGN

Philip Rutnam: £340k payout to official after Priti Patel bullying claims

'Serious questions'

On its official website, the government said it "regrets the circumstances surrounding Sir Philip's resignation".

"The government and Sir Philip are now pleased that a settlement has been reached to these proceedings," a spokesperson added.

Mr Thomas-Symonds said Ms Patel still had "very serious questions to answer about her conduct", and Mr Johnson had "shown terrible judgement".

"It can't be right that his adviser on ministerial standards resigned when he found that the home secretary bullied colleagues, while the home secretary herself remained in post," he added.

No inquiry into this?

Not the case at all, Nicola during the ongoing Brexit fiasco travelled to Brussels and had talks with Michel Barnier, during that an illumination was projected onto the EU Brussels HQ of Scotland loves Europe.
The SNP presently maintains direct contact with EU states and so on.
The SNP has set up Innovation and Investment Hubs  in Brussels, Paris and Dublin.
So yes the SNP are very quietly associating with the EU, don't forget the SNP have established a Central Bank as required by the EU application for membership process.
BUT, this is all in the background as the Pandemic takes priority.
I have him on ignore and missed that beauty.

Anyone who thinks the SNP did nothing during the Brexit fiasco is living in an alternate reality.

It's actually the one thing that has united both sides of the party.

I'm not too fussed on the detail of when parties should announce such things, they can manipulate figures all they want as I'm sure other parties do, I'm just amazed that anyone would believe 5000 new people that hadn't previously held membership decided to join on that specific day rather than posters like JLD rejoining. I'm sure they're aware of how many are rejoins rather than new but still it gets them social media interactions and their supporters run off and spread the news so politically speaking it's a smart move. 
I don't see much significance in this number tbh, I'm sure there was always a large portion of people waiting til Nicola had spoken before deciding if they believed her or not. 
They are treated the same like any other party - not counted as new members.

Out of interest does anyone have membership numbers for the other parties?

One would suspect that the active membership of SLab is pretty low compared to its past.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They are treated the same like any other party - not counted as new members.

Out of interest does anyone have membership numbers for the other parties?

One would suspect that the active membership of SLab is pretty low compared to its past.

SLab are at about 16 and a half thousand, according to the Daily Record (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-labour-crisis-after-leaked-23431174)

The Greens were about 7000 odd last I heard. f**k knows about the others.