Welsh Premier League

Girth

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The league is much improved from when I lived in Wales for a few years. Back then only TNS were about Scottish league standard, and there was some real dross in the league. I can remember going to a game between the old Barry Town and Oswestry at Jenner Park- the most one sided non event of a game I have ever paid into. I think Barry won 8 or 9-1. The games were usually so poor that I spent most of my footballing time down there watching Newport and Merthyr in non league and the odd Swansea match- Swansea were way dwon the leagues in those days. Even the standard of the old Dr Martens League was higher than the League of Wales back then.

Now TNS, Bala and maybe one or two others would cut in in Scottish League One I think. A mixture of the Welsh league improving and our lower league standards dropping I feel.

Next season a re-formed Barry Town- former giants who went bust- are back in the, er, "big time" which will be interesting. Caernarfon Town in the north- another big old name- missed out again, to Prestatyn. Getting back into the WPL from the Northern feeder league will be more conmpetitive than ever with both Airbus UK and Rhyl having been relegated this season.

Only on the telly so far, but getting to a game is on my list. It's quite a big list right enough.

I saw Barry Town when they were top of their game and Cwmbran Town before they dropped. Standard seems to have improved.

Archived