The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Hopefully some more new arrivals however if not let's get rid of all the negativity and get right behind the manager and the team. Getting booed of the pitch before the league season has even started is bang out of order. Does absolutely no-one any good.

Last season was the most enjoyable I've had since 2000 and this was partly due to the fantastic atmosphere generated by the fans and the close bond between them and the team.

Obviously this season is a huge step up but let's do our part and give the team and the manager our total backing and give it the best shot we can.

COYS

Alan Stubbs Black n White Army

Matty Willock available to play in today’s game. International clearance has been received, so let’s give him some game time.
I would expect to see at least 3 more arrivals before the flag day next sat. 

FWIW I though Willock was excellent against us last year. Strong guy with a bit of touch. The fake Saints reckoned he blew hot and cold but, as I said, he was good against us.

40 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

FWIW I though Willock was excellent against us last year. Strong guy with a bit of touch. The fake Saints reckoned he blew hot and cold but, as I said, he was good against us.

He has to be an upgrade on the most recent arrivals, who in some cases look like squad fillers. I’m hoping that Stubbs has done his recruitment back to front. He’s got the squad recruits in first , but the better quality have still to arrive.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

In the previous straightforward knockout version of the League Cup, teams from Championship and lower played a round or two before the premier(ship) teams came in. The first round was the first weekend of August, so you could play one match and be out very early as well, and just a couple of weeks later than the current format.

Regarding the top 4 playing less games, it would be asking a lot for them to play a European qualifier on the Thursday, then Betfred cup matches on the weekend and following Tuesday. It's supposed to help our teams get further in Europe, so I'm ok with that.  I  like having the group stages having no OF in it hogging all the media limelight; when you listen to radio coverage or read about the Betfred Cup, the coverage is far more fairly spread. I like the fact one week QOS are the main headline, the next matchday it's Arbroath etc, and it's based on footballing performance, not how many mouthbreathing bigots want to read the same shite every week.

St Mirren were a wee bit unlucky getting probably the top seeds in their group, but then having got 2 points off them in the opening match, you really should have been able to take care of Spartans and Queens Park, early in the season or not. I agree with RG, I think your frustrations should be with your team not building on a good opening performance, not the format of the Cup.

My frustration is completely with my team, who should have been able to beat both Spartans and QP, after getting a good result at Killie. However, I simply do not like the current LC format and when it now all starts. Just my opinion. St Mirren being hapless twats and my dislike of the LC format are separate issues.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Worth making the point he played in one game against Dundee last season. 

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Stevie Clarke at Killie had a mump of his gums about the League Cup prior to playing us in it too. Agree though that St Mirren going into that Killie game with a half-built squad and no prior friendlies is pure and simple oor’ ain’ fault... squad broken up by Ross leaving and Stubbs coming in, and a lack of fixtures. That’s all down to ourselves as a club.

Maybe we’ll head into next season’s mid-July League Cup group stage shite in a slightly more settled manner as a club.

My own opinion happens to be that this very early group stage affair is pish. Pish for many clubs who have two shots at glory every season. Aberdeen even, were delighted when they broke a trophy drought and won it a while back. I just think the two cup competitions shouldn’t see some clubs have to play twice the amount of fixtures as some others.

Steve Clarke’s “ mump “ about this   LC format was that it didn’t make sense for the top 2 seeds to play each other in the 1st game . Which given the way the results went was correct as it would very likely have been a better spectacle. 

23 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Even if you beat Dumbarton (which is looking like an increasingly unlikely scenario), I'd be surprised if you managed to pick up enough points to qualify as one of the best second-place teams. 

You knew this was coming.

qOz6PVQ.gif

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Steve Clarke’s “ mump “ about this   LC format was that it didn’t make sense for the top 2 seeds to play each other in the 1st game . Which given the way the results went was correct as it would very likely have been a better spectacle. 

Really?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-boss-steve-clarke-slams-12855312

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

You knew this was coming.

qOz6PVQ.gif

As I've pointed out in the St. Johnstone thread, it's no surprise that your upturn in form directly coincides with your acquisition of a St. Johnstone-quality player (Matty Willock). One player of that ability can make a huge difference. We have many. You now have one. Whether it's enough to keep you afloat in the big boys' league, I still have my doubts.

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You'll be glad to have been proven wrong.

Absolutely, it was a very positive and pleasing performance. The boy Willock Magennis McGinn and Smith totally dominated the game from start to finish.

How to analyse a very encouraging performance and result at Rugby Park, very poor performances but valuable penalty shootout wins v ‘diddies’, a 0-6 Sunderland hosing, followed by a 6-0 hosing dished out by ourselves...

Nope. Cannot analyse that.

I still don’t like the League Cup mid-July group shit, even though we somehow navigated our way through it.

Edited by pozbaird

34 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

As I've pointed out in the St. Johnstone thread, it's no surprise that your upturn in form directly coincides with your acquisition of a St. Johnstone-quality player (Matty Willock). One player of that ability can make a huge difference. We have many. You now have one. Whether it's enough to keep you afloat in the big boys' league, I still have my doubts.

You ok mate? You seem upset?

6 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Excellent debut. Only on for 60 mins but big lad with very direct running at defences and hard to get off the ball. Shooting was a bit wild but great to see him confident in getting a shot away when the opportunity arose.

1 hour ago, McG said:

You ok mate? You seem upset?

Do you think St Johnstone fans in general are disappointed with you signing Willock? If we wanted him we had plenty chances to get him. He's a decent prospect but isn't what we need just now. We need a sitting midfielder, Willock isn't this. I do however wish the lad well and with him being out of contract soon you might have a good chance of actually signing him.