The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

The one player of genuine quality off to Scunthorpe, and the board can’t shift the raft of jobbers signed by Stubbs from non league English football. This isn’t going to end well. 

Why not keep McShane and Smith for next season’s championship squad as they are good players at that level.

The club is a total shambles.

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The one player of genuine quality off to Scunthorpe, and the board can’t shift the raft of jobbers signed by Stubbs from non league English football. This isn’t going to end well. 

Why not keep McShane and Smith for next season’s championship squad as they are good players at that level.

I think the club will listen to offers to take anyone off our hands right now.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don't think we can afford to carry passengers for the rest of the season. 

If we stay up, guys like McShane won't be needed. If we go down, he shouldn't be too hard to replace at that level. He's decent in championship but certainly not a game changer. 

What a horribly defeatist attitude. We're not even bottom of the league at the moment and you have us relegated already.

We should be looking at players that will help us stay in this league. Smith could still play an important part in that. McShane was a bit part player for us in the championship and is no major loss.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

It is out of the clubs hands if he wants to move back south to be closer to his family. We can offer him our best deal though its down to him at the end of the day.
The Stubbs signings I assume you are referring to have been told they are free to leave. There's 4 weeks for them to find a club.

There is no room for passengers at this level i'm afraid. McShane, with all due respect has not featured much this season and is either too similar to what we have in the middle, or lacks that bit of creativity we need to add to start feeding out front men with goal scoring chances. Great player last season, though there is no room for sentiment if we are to strengthen the squad. Smith is another who for some reason hasn't been fancied by either Stubbs OR OK. There must be more to it than he doesnt fit a system. Hes either being disruptive or not showing the same standard in training with the latter i find hard to believe.
We need to plan for the present and not the future in the current predicament we find ourselves in. Both Smith and McShane(was)  free agents come summer.

Let's give the manager the backing to bring in his players. I am pretty confident there was a plan in place with the potential of Hammill leaving on top of the players they were already looking to replace. Targets have been identified and we shoudl start to see some movement in the next week or so before winter break ends.

Having been linked with Ross McCormack in one paper the other week, I see we're now being mentioned along with Hearts and Rangers as being after Charlie Adam.

Either would be a fantastic signing but don't think there's a hope in hell of either joining. Fingers crossed we have also been pursuing some slightly more realistic transfer targets.

Just now, Stu said:

Either would be a fantastic signing but don't think there's a hope in hell of either joining. Fingers crossed we have also been pursuing some slightly more realistic transfer targets.

Yeah, shades of the summer again. Hopefully just tabloid talk while we work on real signings.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

You're just being melodramatic.

The club is not a total shambles. Bad decisions were made in the summer, which has been acknowledged and now they are trying to rectify the situation. 

It is still very early in the window, so still lots of time to get rid of those not up to it.

As already said, the club had no option over Hammill, he has made the decision presumably for family reasons. Ferdinand may do the same (though hopefully he'll stay). Very premature to criticise when we don't know what new players may be coming in.

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Having been linked with Ross McCormack in one paper the other week, I see we're now being mentioned along with Hearts and Rangers as being after Charlie Adam.

McCormack hasn't played since November with a knee injury, I'd steer clear (which coincidentally is what you'd also be advised to do if he's driving on the same road).

17 minutes ago, Hendo said:

You're just being melodramatic.

The club is not a total shambles. Bad decisions were made in the summer, which has been acknowledged and now they are trying to rectify the situation. 

It is still very early in the window, so still lots of time to get rid of those not up to it.

As already said, the club had no option over Hammill, he has made the decision presumably for family reasons. Ferdinand may do the same (though hopefully he'll stay). Very premature to criticise when we don't know what new players may be coming in.

I’m just a crabbit b*****d back at work today.:lol:

It was clear as day at Rugby Park that his mind was elsewhere. He had a bit of quality but would question if he had the fighting qualities we are going to need.

He did us a turn, we helped him get fit. All the best Adam.

Not the end of the world either.

The Smith and Scougall swap deal is  a load of nonsense m8, thought as much when @RandomGuy. was the one that had suggested Smith was heading to them then someone else decided it must be a swap deal between the 2.  he''s now  said as much over on the fakes thread that he was at it.

Fair play to him, more than a few folk seemed to get excited about it as well :lol:

The Smith and Scougall swap deal is  a load of nonsense m8, thought as much when [mention=45470]RandomGuy.[/mention] was the one that had suggested Smith was heading to them then someone else decided it must be a swap deal between the 2.  he''s now  said as much over on the fakes thread that he was at it.
Fair play to him, more than a few folk seemed to get excited about it as well [emoji38]
Would have been a weird one considering Smith hasn't proven himself at this level.

Wonder if a top end Championship club will take him?

Seen the ex Celtic keeper Bailly has been mentioned on twitter.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Would have been a weird one considering Smith hasn't proven himself at this level.

Wonder if a top end Championship club will take him?

Seen the ex Celtic keeper Bailly has been mentioned on twitter.

In fairness, neither has Scougall and he's a helluva lot more expensive and three years older. Scougall has a bit of a mystique about him but he's only scored twice for us and I can only think of one assist off the top of my head in the 18 months he's been at Saints.

God knows if you're actually in for him or not but I think you'll quickly see he's not as brilliant as his reputation suggests he will be if he does end up with you.

Edited by Kyle