The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Dunne finished the season poorly - I even wondered if he played the final stretch of games with some sort of injury because he was so far off the pace.

If that's the case and he's back fit and firing, I see no issue.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

I’m happy that Dunne is staying. I really don’t subscribe to the ‘bombscare’ description - that was better suited to the stupidity of Thierry Small IMHO. I’m happy that a member of a St Mirren side who knitted together pretty well - off the field too by all accounts, is staying. Continuity in the management team and continuity in the playing squad? I need a lie down. We need close season drama and underpant soiling, not this.

By all accounts Dunne is well liked and a good guy too, so all in all, pretty pleased with this news. I’d be happy to see as many of the 2022/23 guys as possible sign up again and let’s see how we go… I genuinely don’t think we had a single ‘waste of a wage’ or a ‘diddy’ in our team and at varying points, everyone contributed something.

Time for a Neurofen or ten… gie’s a shout when St Mirren do something deranged. I cannot be doing with this sensible sounding stuff.

Edited by pozbaird

12 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’d say the striking positions are filled unless Brophy leaves: Nahmani, Greive, Ayunga, Brophy, Jamieson (and Offord if he isn’t loaned out)

I'd be surprised if Jamieson, Offord, Olusanya and Henderson don't go out on loan.

Ayunga is not expected to play before October and Brophy will likely be gone, but his fitness is far from guaranteed anyhow.

Starting CF essential for us. (Main or ?)

Edited by medals

2 minutes ago, medals said:

I'd be surprised if Jamieson, Offord and Henderson don't go out on loan.

Ayunga is not expected to play before October and Brophy will likely be gone, but his fitness is far from guaranteed anyhow.

Starting CF essential for us. (Main or ?)

Jamieson is 21 and signed a 1 year contract. I’d be surprised if he went out on loan. He’s a first team player now or nothing. 

Just now, Captain_Sensible said:

Jamieson is 21 and signed a 1 year contract. I’d be surprised if he went out on loan. He’s a first team player now or nothing. 

How many league games do you think he'll play in for us next season?

8 minutes ago, McG said:

Dunne was contender for player of the season up until the Celtic game, he was excellent up until then, delighted he’s staying. 

Totally agree. I think he’s good. I’d rather he stayed than us taking a chance on a replacement. 

I’m sure Dunne could also played in the centre 

1 minute ago, medals said:

How many league games do you think he'll play in for us next season?

Based on what I saw of him at the end of the season, my prediction is that he’ll be on the bench most of the season. He’s been given a 1 year contract IMO as a first team squad player

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Totally agree. I think he’s good. I’d rather he stayed than us taking a chance on a replacement. 

I’m sure Dunne could also played in the centre 

Up until the Celtic game I would have said Dunne was a 7/8 out of 10 most weeks and I was desperate for him to sign a new deal then, he tallied off a bit but if he carried on his best form we would of had no chance of keeping him.

Delighted with this.

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Based on what I saw of him at the end of the season, my prediction is that he’ll be on the bench most of the season. He’s been given a 1 year contract IMO as a first team squad player

Question for him and us is, will he develop more playing regularly or just by being in our squad.

That will determine what's next for him.

45 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

You don’t know how good Nahmani is though and I’d imagine we’ll still be looking to offload Brophy which would hopefully entail a replacement 

True and he may be superb and hit the ground running.

Reality though is that he's 20 years old, probably still developing as a footballer and will be playing in a new league and country.

I think Nahmani will be playing weekly but I do still think he's going to need someone there with him. and none of the fit options strike me as 'regular starter'.

I'm not getting where all the chat of 'budget is too tight, so we need to really tighten the belt' is coming from.

Robinson has just signed a new two year deal, do we honestly think for a second that he's going to hang about if the board have decided that he's got to carry on doing what he's doing with a reduced budget?

He also went on record a few weeks back as saying that offers had been made to four players. Is it not far more likely that he's currently a little restricted in what he can do with the budget if there are still bids on the table for said players that we are awaiting a reply on? It would be foolish to go offering deals elsewhere if we are negotiating with clubs and by time clubs come back with a yes or no, we've pissed the entire playing budget elsewhere.

I'm still expecting 5/6 new arrivals when all is said and done if we don't sell anyone. A first choice LB/LWB, a backup RB, a first choice centre half, a central mid option, and two forwards (including Nehmani).

Edited by djchapsticks

Going back to Dunne as well, I wonder if he's going to be the option rather than the starter.

A one year deal rather than longer strikes me as the Joe Shaughnessy type offer of 'here's a year, we can't/won't offer more than that, you'll need to fight for game time'.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

True and he may be superb and hit the ground running.

Reality though is that he's 20 years old, probably still developing as a footballer and will be playing in a new league and country.

I think Nahmani will be playing weekly but I do still think he's going to need someone there with him. and none of the fit options strike me as 'regular starter'.

You’re probably right. I think Robinson will want a physical striker to replace Main

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Going back to Dunne as well, I wonder if he's going to be the option rather than the starter.

A one year deal rather than longer strikes me as the Joe Shaughnessy type offer of 'here's a year, we can't/won't offer more than that, you'll need to fight for game time'.

He’ll be 31 at the end of the contract and he’s not had a better offer so I think 1 year is correct. 

He’d lost his place at the tail of the season so I reckon you might be correct on the option front. He could be taking on the Shaughnessy role

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I can’t see Robinson changing a system that was so successful last season

I’d say the striking positions are filled unless Brophy leaves: Nahmani, Greive, Ayunga, Brophy, Jamieson (and Offord if he isn’t loaned out)

IMO too of course!

I think he’ll want a left wing back. someone as good as Strain down the other side would make a huge difference.

Of course if we sell anyone then we’ll need replacements 

He did mention he'd like to change it, but equally he's admitted the current setup suits the players we have. As the team is remaining pretty much the same, it makes sense to keep the same formation.

With the strikers, I can't believe Nahmani is coming in as first choice, and with Ayunga injured until October (?) and Brophy almost permanently injured, that makes our starting strikers Greive and Jamieson. Now I wish the best for both of those guys, but it would take a hell of a turn around pre-season for them to turn into a cogent goal threat.