The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot2023-06-23211342.png.5a954b7924b5a74542a05274b8631719.png

Take yer pick from the RG Tombola of Baccus-lites.

If any of these names get linked, and half are already signed up elsewhere/out of reach financially I think, I'm claiming victory of some sort.

Cameron of Dee would do nicely, but no way we'd pay what they'd want.

2 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Says who ? I’d suggest we’ve made much less 

30% on every pay out Hibs received, not just from transfer fees.

You can work it out for yourself.

However, I do get frustrated by uninformed plums, who have absolutely no idea how much we receive for players we sell, droning on about us selling players on the cheap.

Maybe I did overexaggerate, but we've made a substantial amount of money out of McGinn. 

Edited by FTOF

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

However, I do get frustrated by uninformed plums, who have absolutely no idea how much we receive for players we sell, droning on about us selling players on the cheap.

Maybe I did overexaggerate, but we've made a substantial amount of money out of McGinn. 

Not too much. We've definitely made at least £1.5m over the piece. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Absolutely not having it that McGinn is going to leave Villa now, and certainly not for a fee that will net us anything significant. I guess time will tell.

John may want to finish his career where his grandfather was chairman previously. He will be around 32 when his current deal ends at Villa. 

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Mate if we didn’t sell them cheap folk wouldn’t be upset. We’re losing an international for buttons it seems. I don’t claim to know what’s going on but clearly someone does and it’s been leaked. If you feel 275k is good fine. I’m actually over it and we’ll used to it it just annoys me we aren’t able to get fees and probably never will. As someone said earlier we are a diddy club but a diddy club we all want the best for. 

4 hours ago, Paul Cicero said:

Baccus and a fit Josh Sheehan is a decent midfield for league 1 

The stand out performer in midfield has been Kyle Dempsey although our young lad Morley has been class and we've had an aging Kieran Lee plus a couple of destroyers in MJ Williams and Thomason.  But our manager wants creativity all over the park and whilst Sheehan, Lee and Morley provide that it gives us a soft centre in the midfield battle of League 1 so I think the hope is that Baccus can create but also hold his own when it comes to physical shenanigans.

We lost in the playoffs because we were bullied by bigger boys and I guess the hope is that Baccus won't get pushed around.

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The stand out performer in midfield has been Kyle Dempsey although our young lad Morley has been class and we've had an aging Kieran Lee plus a couple of destroyers in MJ Williams and Thomason.  But our manager wants creativity all over the park and whilst Sheehan, Lee and Morley provide that it gives us a soft centre in the midfield battle of League 1 so I think the hope is that Baccus can create but also hold his own when it comes to physical shenanigans.

We lost in the playoffs because we were bullied by bigger boys and I guess the hope is that Baccus won't get pushed around.

I dont see Baccus as a tough tackling defensive midfielder. He links play and likes to get forward. He gets booked a lot too. 

5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

..I guess the hope is that Baccus won't get pushed around.

Good player as he is, he absolutely is not a "midfield enforcer". This was put on full display when we lost Erhahon to Lincoln (...losing two young talented midfielders? in the same season? hmm...) who did that role for us. Can Baccus break up play? Yeah, but that's not his strengths. He is more about linking play and creating chances, he'll be in the opposing penalty box more than your own.

It's a tough one on Baccus. All saints fans can see his worth from his performances each week. But hes just turned 25 and has played 30-35 games in Europe. Whoever signs him is taking a punt to a degree. 

Compare him to Ali McCann who St Johnstone got about £1m for (I think) who had played about 100 games, was a good 3 or 4 years younger and had 2/3 years left on his contract.

I know the £275k was a guess from someone but anything close to 300-500k isn't the worst business in the world especially if we can put in a decent percentage of his next sale 

25 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Compare him to Ali McCann who St Johnstone got about £1m for (I think) who had played about 100 games, was a good 3 or 4 years younger and had 2/3 years left on his contract.

£1.2m, and "achievable" sells on that the club said should beat out previous record sale (£1.75m).

For a 21yo with 2 seasons left on their deal, who'd just won a couple double, was a regular International who'd just performed v Italy and also for his club v Galatasaray.

I still think we undersold him tbh.

Can someone explain this John McGinn thing to me? Didn't you sell him to Hibs and then Hibs sold him to Villa? I know he's just signed a contract extension but if he'd been sold on why would you get money? Is the deal that you get a % of all future transfer fees regardless of the number of clubs he has?

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Disappointed to lose Baccus for such a low fee , but if the money is spent on  signing Bedeau and the winger from Glentoran and on keeping Main , I would be quite happy .

I think I would be too. It mean we would be all set with left footed defenders (with Taylor able to apparently cover left back too), which are like gold dust (I keep telling my son to focus on the weak foot as the left is so tough to get people). 

If it meant a Uturn for main like Dunne I'd be happy as I think next season he could push of for us even more. 

The winger would also allow us to have goal scorer winger and a plan B for 3 up front.

57 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I for one am glad we'll be getting around £400 - 500K plus add ons. A great bit of business.

The 275k banding about upsets me as I personally feel Baccus is worth more. If it was closer to 400k or 500k with add-on's with 1 year left I'd be more happy. As I say of Baccus, Strain and O'Hara he is the one I feel we could find someone else to take his place easier. 

I’m of the understanding that the Baccus deal is worth double what’s been reported in the media, with add ons. If this is the case then we’ll do well from this this deal, providing Bolton don’t go tits up before they sell him on.

Those funds will help with the manager and Martin Foyle supplying us with more quality replacements. It’s a win win.

42 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Can someone explain this John McGinn thing to me? Didn't you sell him to Hibs and then Hibs sold him to Villa? I know he's just signed a contract extension but if he'd been sold on why would you get money? Is the deal that you get a % of all future transfer fees regardless of the number of clubs he has?

Yeah, we get 30% of whatever Hibs make from him. They get 15% of any sale from Villa, we get a third of that. This isn't just idle internet chat, btw. It's been confirmed by club reps.

37 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

We sold him to Hibs with a sell on clause as they couldn’t / wouldn’t pay the development fee due as he was still young and out of contract, a costly mistake by them. 

They then sold him to Villa, again with a sell on clause and also triggers that increased the fee, such as a bonus for getting out the championship. So any additional fees Hibs get a percentage flows through to us. 

In addition in common with all clubs that have helped develop a young player we receive a solidarity payment whenever a player is transferred. John was with us from about the age of six so that payment could end up being substantial but that isn’t related to our deal with Hibs. 

49 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Because Hibs get 15% of whatever profit Villa make on McGinn. We get a third of any transfer monies Hibs recoup for McGinn so if he went for £50m, Hibs would get 15% of £47m profit (£7m) and would then pass a third of that onto us.

We'd also be due an additional 3.5% of the purely hypothetical £50m as a development solidarity fee. So McGinn getting his ever decreasingly likely big move would be massive for us. Trust us to produce a sellabe gem who isn't a total mercenary!

Funny story, we got a payment of £30k a few years ago from Man City and nobody at the club had any idea why for a few weeks. Turned out we had taken a development fee for having Aaron Mooy at the club for a uear or so when he joined us from Bolton and his £10m move from Huddersfield to City triggered a payment to us.

Edited by djchapsticks