The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

According to Scott Burns you have an 'SPL target' if the McMenamin feal falls through.

We will chuck in Zak Rudden for Trevor Carson. No thanks needed.

We’ve got plenty of volunteer's who already clean the stadium.  

16 minutes ago, billyg said:

Can you imagine if "Mr St Mirren" was doing the negotiating ? It would be all about what's in it for him !

Gillespie seems to do most of our negotiating in these situations now, he’s shrewd operator.

We are actually run like a professional football team now.

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

According to Scott Burns you have an 'SPL target' if the McMenamin feal falls through.

Smart money is on Bruce Anderson if that's the case. He's literally the only 'SPL' player we've been linked with in the window. 

I'm going to say it, but Bruce Anderson is really under rated and would be an upgrade on Greive, and potentially Main, dependent on how you want to use him.

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

McMenamin is a winger.  
Anderson a centre forward. 
Not like-for-like, surely? 

Possibly not like-for-like but we do know we're after two forwards. Anderson is the only Scottish top flight name we've been linked with and we've enough natural width in our forward options currently to shuffle existing players out wide so it's not too big a push to suggest we'd maybe look in that direction if McMenamin is a no go.

7 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Ayunga was classed as a winger prior to him signing for us and played up top in a front two 

Have you signed Steven Fletcher? 
He’d be Main’s replacement? 

Fletcher & Anderson would be a good partnership I think. 
Wee Bruce plays better alongside a big striker like Fletcher, who’s good at linking play etc

Just now, Thenorthernlight said:

Have you signed Steven Fletcher? 
He’d be Main’s replacement? 

Fletcher & Anderson would be a good partnership I think. 
Wee Bruce plays better alongside a big striker like Fletcher, who’s good at linking play etc

There's rumours that we have offered a contract but nothing is signed.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm going to say it, but Bruce Anderson is really under rated and would be an upgrade on Greive, and potentially Main, dependent on how you want to use him.

I've always (grudgingly) liked him.

You have to worry for Greive's game time next season based on the sheer number of forwards we seem to be going for. I guess we're only chasing Anderson if McMenamin falls through, but with Nahmani in the door and an offer out for Fletcher as well, we're in danger of being a bit top heavy (albeit still not knowing where goals are deffo coming from).

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bruce Anderson ?

Safe to say though that if the McMenamin deal does go through early this week, the Anderson rumour can be killed off without any chance of it coming back up this pre season.

If - big if - there is anything left in the transfer pot in terms of cash available to shell out in fees, it will surely be put towards strengthening the defence and the other forward we do eventually sign will either be unattached or their club will be willing to let them go for nothing.

8 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Saints to go back to a formation they haven’t used since the Tories last won an election in Scotland.  

2-3-5

The Tories, led by Thatcher, won the 1979 European Parliament election in Scotland, winning 5 of the 8 seats and winning more votes than any other party. 😜

9 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

The Tories, led by Thatcher, won the 1979 European Parliament election in Scotland, winning 5 of the 8 seats and winning more votes than any other party. 😜

Learn something new every day.  32% turnout apparently.  Got to think that at that point Tory voters were more interested in the EU than others.

44 years ago is still to recent IMO.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I totally agree, I think Anderson would suit us perfectly and would score a decent amount of goals in our set up. He strikes me as a very "Robinson" style player.