The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I like the League Cup group stage but it does benefit the lower league clubs more than the likes of ourselves. There's the chance to catch one of the big clubs cold as has happened to us and others. The likelihood of us losing to Arbroath at home in a cup tie is significantly higher I'd say if the game is taking place in July rather than the end of August.

3 hours ago, SS77 said:

Yeah I think this is a real possibility now.

I can still see him signing for us once the player hands in a transfer request and demand the move.

If it's 50k short, just fling the extra 50k on to the add ons for when we make Europe :)

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Hope we sign Mcmenamin and if we don't yea I would take Bruce Anderson. However he only scored 6 League goals last season so for Livi to want an inflated fee we should move on.

Unlike others I would take Fletcher over Main assuming Fletcher's fitness is ok for another season. Unlike Main he is a natural goalscorer and like Main he is a physical presence, just slower due to age.  Ayunga is also be a great physical presence. I wouldn't be disappointed if Main signed on again but we need a goalscorer.

If we are interested in Anderson and Livy are to believe what we were offering for McMennamin, they might add a few quid on to Andersons valuation from preventing us from getting anywhere near him.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I would imagine we probably could have just about afforded £150k. Presumably Robinson didn't rate McMenamin as worth a £150k gamble on a 27 year old who is untried at our level.

So if we paid £150 k for a player on a 3 year deal. He'll cost us £50 k each year plus something fairly similar in wages each year.

Only way that works is if we win more, finish higher etc. or sell them for a profit before year 2 ends - that's never guarenteed.

So even £100 k signings on £35 -40 k wages are a big commitment for us.

Board are responsible.

49 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Main back training with the squad should he stay or should he go ? Stay big man just stay.

If he stays there will be trouble,

but if he goes there will be double.

6 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Hope we sign Mcmenamin and if we don't yea I would take Bruce Anderson. However he only scored 6 League goals last season so for Livi to want an inflated fee we should move on.

Given we’re selling Nouble, selling our only other standout forward probably won’t happen. 

Because of that we’d be asking for a very good fee, it’s not exactly a step up for him either. Probably something about 350k which there’s no chance you lot pay

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Given we’re selling Nouble, selling our only other standout forward probably won’t happen. 

Because of that we’d be asking for a very good fee, it’s not exactly a step up for him either. Probably something about 350k which there’s no chance you lot pay

Yeah I’m sure he’d much rather stay where he is and play on a plastic pitch in-front of 15 fans. What a life 

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think we probably pay a little more and Davie doesn’t seem to start him much but like you say, not a step up in level and you can afford to price him out of our market.

Just now, Torfason said:

I think we probably pay a little more and Davie doesn’t seem to start him much but like you say, not a step up in level and you can afford to price him out of our market.

Yeah, Martindale seems to be overly harsh on him at times. He gets dropped in spells as once he gets injured it seems to drag on, we tried bringing him back early one time and it made it far worse. One of the players you need to wrap in bubble wrap once he gets a niggle. 

Do I think 350k is a fair and right fee for a player with 1 year left on his deal, no. It’s the right thing to do with a direct rival though, ask for an inflated fee due to the inconvenience of the situation