The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

You’re possibly right but the rest of my post is true.

If we want him off the books and want to free up his wages to sign someone else then we’ll either need to let him go to whoever wants him or give him a pay off IMO! 

There are bonuses he won't be making as well, his value will be dropping too if he's not playing regularly enough, not to mention if he's not training he will already be a few weeks behind on pre season, and the longer that goes on, the worse it is for him. I do agree with you that the "we hold all the cards" stuff is wrong, but Carson doesn't either, especially at this stage in his career. This will cost him money if it drags on, both now and in future earnings.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

You’re possibly right but the rest of my post is true.

If we want him off the books and want to free up his wages to sign someone else then we’ll either need to let him go to whoever wants him or give him a pay off IMO! 

I suppose the main thrust of my point was that if he still has potentially 4-6 years left of a playing career, then he should in theory still carry some value. 
Perhaps that’s wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, Div said:

The problem of letting him train with the youth for the remainder of his contract is that it would easily cost us best part of £150K.

If he’s not going to play for whatever reason then we need to shift him and replace him, preferably with Vaclav.

No problem with him moving on but £150k is money well spent if it means we don't get relegated because we sold one of our best players to a direct rival.

If the split is too big, then he can go anywhere he likes, just not to a rival.

As always Shakespeare gets it right...

If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done in time to get a replacement before the window closes

...if he ever gives up the playwriting he's got a future in football managment.

2 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

We really need to hear something from the club about this.  The silence is deafening 

I don't think we'll hear anything from the club until the situation is resolved.

5 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

We really need to hear something from the club about this.  The silence is deafening 

Best not to wash dirty laundry publicly. Once it's resolved we'll hear what we need to know.

We have to just wait it out and trust in management 

The "story" is already out there, I don't think we'll ever hear anything fishul from the club and I think that's the best outcome - some sorta agreement between the club and Carson to keep schtum.

I'm close to The Cap'ns POV that we'll do well to get out of the situation without some sorta pay-off to Carson.

28 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

No chance we’ll get anything from the club on it and it wouldn’t be smart to publicise that one of our best players and the gaffer have had a fall out.

The only information we're likely to get is if he signs for another club or his contract has been terminated.

If he stays, he'll be referred to by the manager in an interview as being "available for selection" or he'll appear in the team lines prior to a match.

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The only information we're likely to get is if he signs for another club or his contract has been terminated.

If he stays, he'll be referred to by the manager in an interview as being "available for selection" or he'll appear in the team lines prior to a match.

Like you said though, if the reasons for this situation are true, I’m surprised this hasn’t made the papers yet 

He had 3 previous games against the blue mob for his family to watch so f him. 

I certainly wouldn't have him sitting at home collecting his money.

Get him into training knowing he is training all week and not getting a game at the end of it. 

1 hour ago, btb said:

The "story" is already out there, I don't think we'll ever hear anything fishul from the club and I think that's the best outcome - some sorta agreement between the club and Carson to keep schtum.

I'm close to The Cap'ns POV that we'll do well to get out of the situation without some sorta pay-off to Carson.

The story is out there ? Do you not mean assume the story is out there when in fact no one knows it's speculation.  

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

The story is out there ? Do you not mean assume the story is out there when in fact no one knows it's speculation.  

That's why I put story in inverted commas - the "story" is out there.

Signalling unusual usage

Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realises that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense:

Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into.
Edited by btb

49 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

He had 3 previous games against the blue mob for his family to watch so f him. 

I certainly wouldn't have him sitting at home collecting his money.

Get him into training knowing he is training all week and not getting a game at the end of it. 

Robinson won’t want a disgruntled player coming to training and causing problems.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We're all going to look more stupid than usual if the reason for his absence is eff all to do with the "story" that's out there.:lol:

If he had a prior arrangement with the club to train 3 days a week, due to travel arrangements with his family living in the North of England.

I would imagine the best outcome for both player and club would be for him to find a club in that region.

With the club receiving a fee that covers the two years remaining on his contract.

Easier said than done I suppose, but the longer it goes on unresolved, then you have to imagine it might not be resolved between player and the manager.

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Robinson won’t want a disgruntled player coming to training and causing problems.

If he causes problems, then surely he can be sent home without pay. Would that not happen in your workplace ?