The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Ric said:

"still at it"

:lol:

Calm yourself.

Whose not calm?

You are still At it,

I quote you - "My main issue with Hemming is that he doesn't command his box, and we saw that in the game against Aberdeen."

One incident in one game and you also called him a step down.

My point still is why be so down on Hemming. He's been more than decent and all players make mistakes.

Your entitled to your opinions but why not give the lad a fair chance without pouncing on one thing in one match, added to your suspicion that he wouldn't be anywhere good enough like Carson apparently was.

See the highlights from Dee's game and you may think he clearly didn't command his box yesterday - Hemming did.

16 minutes ago, medals said:

You are still At it,

I quote you - "My main issue with Hemming is that he doesn't command his box, and we saw that in the game against Aberdeen."

One incident in one game and you also called him a step down.

You are being very selective there.

For a start it wasn't "one incident", as I posted links to his performances for Killie where he failed to command his box when he joined us. He had a nightmare for them last season and had to be replaced. That's the reason I am concerned about him being #1. It's not some sort of unfair agenda against the lad. Is it his fault he is #1? No, of course not, it's Carson's for having a tantrum. Do I blame him for taking the opportunity, again, of course not. It is Robinson that's made the call, and it's his job on the line so I presume he must trust him, but that doesn't stop people having an opinion on what they see.

Secondly, as for him being a step down, he is, you simply cannot argue the case. Part of that is because we have been very lucky with our keepers recently. Is he a better keeper than Hladky, Alnwick or Carson? If you think so, then that is a crazy take. The keeper we had before that was (iirc) Samson. Is he better than Samson? Perhaps, that's a different argument. The biggest thing for me is for Hemming to learn from his mistakes. Keepers have mistakes "baked into them", it's how they react that is important, and we won't really know that until the team experiences a tough period of results.

Finally, when he's had a good game, I've said he's had a good game. Feel free to check my comments.

Edited by Ric

This is the best start I can remember to a season in the top league yet pages upon pages of worry and angst. Stressed Mickey Mouse GIF

Robinson may go to Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen or Real Madrid but until it happens or we go on a terrible run and sack him then enjoy. 😛

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF

3 hours ago, Ric said:

You are being very selective there.

For a start it wasn't "one incident", as I posted links to his performances for Killie where he failed to command his box when he joined us. He had a nightmare for them last season and had to be replaced. That's the reason I am concerned about him being #1. It's not some sort of unfair agenda against the lad. Is it his fault he is #1? No, of course not, it's Carson's for having a tantrum. Do I blame him for taking the opportunity, again, of course not. It is Robinson that's made the call, and it's his job on the line so I presume he must trust him, but that doesn't stop people having an opinion on what they see.

Secondly, as for him being a step down, he is, you simply cannot argue the case. Part of that is because we have been very lucky with our keepers recently. Is he a better keeper than Hladky, Alnwick or Carson? If you think so, then that is a crazy take. The keeper we had before that was (iirc) Samson. Is he better than Samson? Perhaps, that's a different argument. The biggest thing for me is for Hemming to learn from his mistakes. Keepers have mistakes "baked into them", it's how they react that is important, and we won't really know that until the team experiences a tough period of results.

Finally, when he's had a good game, I've said he's had a good game. Feel free to check my comments.

Have you read his partner’s posts on the Kilmarnock thread?  Honest and open and entirely understandable.  A young man away from his young family - no wonder his form dropped dramatically. 

With this in mind it was an “one off incident”.  A fluke goal, just as unpredictable as the Snodgrass cross/shot last season. 

Zac is a good goalkeeper and highly thought of by our management and Middlesbrough’s management.  He deserves our full support. 

We’ve been tremendously lucky with our goalkeepers in recent years. Hemming is the next in a great run. 

10 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Have you read his partner’s posts on the Kilmarnock thread?  Honest and open and entirely understandable.  A young man away from his young family - no wonder his form dropped dramatically. 

With this in mind it was an “one off incident”.  A fluke goal, just as unpredictable as the Snodgrass cross/shot last season. 

Zac is a good goalkeeper and highly thought of by our management and Middlesbrough’s management.  He deserves our full support. 

We’ve been tremendously lucky with our goalkeepers in recent years. Hemming is the next in a great run. 

You can make any excuse you want for it, but the facts are the facts, he was so bad with Kilmarnock last season he had to be dropped. Go back and watch his games. If he can suffer confidence issues, once, then he can suffer them again. We would be having the same discussion if we had brought an outfield player who had suffered the same fate. If people are sitting there thinking I am criticising him unfairly and will never recognise if he has a good game clearly never read my comments. I said the same for Curtis Main, who was an absolute embarrassment for us for months, months. Did he come good in the end? Yes, he did. Did I call him out when he was being dogshit? Yes, I did. Did I call him out for his excellent performances last season? Yes, yes I did.

Do I want him to be a success? Of course I do. The biggest thing is how he reacts to his mistakes, because keepers who make none (just like any player who makes no mistakes) are as rare as hens teeth. Robinson is the person who makes the call, it's his job on the line, and considering his success with us last season he has earned the right to make those decisions. Personally I think he was blindsided by Carson's tantrum and limited by our budget, so he's had to lean into the Hemming as #1 out of circumstance rather than desire.

Bottom line is that we all have opinions, but that's all they are. I don't get annoyed at people bigging up Hemming, because... people certainly have, yet people seem to get annoyed when I am less ebullient. The only arbiter here will be the end of the season, when we have a much better idea of how good (or bad) he'll be. Again, though, I obviously wish for a positive outcome.

Well now that the transfer window is shut what from now till January?

Our first priority as a fanbase is to pick our scapegoat which seems to be Hemmings, never understood how this helps but we've always had one. IMO selecting a keeper for this slot is a bold move.

Generally I think we look competitive wrt  the other diddy clubs and if we could find a magic combo up front we could be pushing for the best of the rest although I think currently Motherwell are looking faves for that title, I think one of the Tayside  clubs will finish bottom. No gimmes for us in this division but we've got a good vibe within the squad (90+6 against Livi cancels out the 90+10 against the Dons) so Greenhill will be the venue for thrills & spills - so let's get behind the lads (Hemming excepted)

It'll be interesting to see how County's windfall will be used ie whether it'll be extra money or a wee break for Uncle Roy in terms of subsidising them.

As we worry about unwanted interest in our manager, spare a thought for Fleetwood Town and Hearts. They hired the other two candidates who were being ‘recommended’ to us by their media pals. Almost looks like the board actually knew what they were doing when they paid a transfer fee for Robbo.

59 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Dog walkers always have decent leads.

Ian has a dog named SCOUT.

Until the weekend there they have been having a RUFF time in the league, but the win brought them some PAWS-ITIVITY.

Those who thought they wanted SR were barking up the wrong tree

Edited by medals

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good news about Hibs going with Montgomery. There's realistically no chance in a world of zoom that he's flying literally halfway around the world for a job he's not being offered or taking so think we can breathe easy.

For now.

No chance Aberdeen will touch him, and I can't see Hearts fancying him either, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

I reckon he'll see at least this season out with us.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

No chance Aberdeen will touch him, and I can't see Hearts fancying him either, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

I reckon he'll see at least this season out with us.

Hearts you'd think will go the restructuring route before the binning option.