The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honesty, if it was a straight choice between Steven Fletcher and Curtis Main, what is people's preference?

I feel Fletcher is a shorter term option that could grab goals in this side but Main is so tailor made to the way we play.

A straight choice between Main or Fletcher? Somner. Fcuk, sorry, Main.

At this time of year, with significant numbers of players coming and going, speculation amongst our fans about which players we might be interested in is inevitable. We are all curious to know how our squad for next season might look.

Yet surely all negotiations between our club and potential new signings should be hush-hush until something material happens. News of new signings ought to be disclosed as a (hopefully pleasant) surprise to the fans once the deal is done. It's bad business to have our potential targets broadcast beforehand, alerting rival clubs of our intentions.

I can't understand why leaks about players that our management is actively pursuing are deliberately being passed out from "someone" within our club to certain "ITK" sources to post on P&B or BAWArmy. How often do we see "I know something you don't know"  posts on here ?

Who is it within the club that is leaking snippets to their chums ? And why is it happening ?

I think this is unhelpful !!

1 minute ago, medals said:

Main knows SF is a possibility that would end our interest in him.

However, I think he would add more goals with the other C.M. providing assists and a real partnership, different to the other options we have. (I think he'll visit Monday and be announced then or on Tuesday)

Think we will bring in another midfielder and  a defender or 2. 

Once the squad is sorted a Strain extension is the next priority. 

Who do you mean?

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Who do you mean?

Sorry I'd choose Main over Fletcher but think the Irish lad is incoming.

I think Main will score more with us if Mcm signs and of course Main re-signs too. I think he's getting the jitters and not overly keen to go elsewhere

Edited by medals

9 minutes ago, medals said:

Main knows SF is a possibility that would end our interest in him.

However, I think he would add more goals with the other C.M. providing assists and a real partnership, different to the other options we have. (I think he'll visit Monday and be announced then or on Tuesday)

Think we will bring in another midfielder and  a defender or 2. 

Once the squad is sorted a Strain extension is the next priority. 

Strain has no intention of signing an extension so enjoy him while he is here.

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

At this time of year, with significant numbers of players coming and going, speculation amongst our fans about which players we might be interested in is inevitable. We are all curious to know how our squad for next season might look.

Yet surely all negotiations between our club and potential new signings should be hush-hush until something material happens. News of new signings ought to be disclosed as a (hopefully pleasant) surprise to the fans once the deal is done. It's bad business to have our potential targets broadcast beforehand, alerting rival clubs of our intentions.

I can't understand why leaks about players that our management is actively pursuing are deliberately being passed out from "someone" within our club to certain "ITK" sources to post on P&B or BAWArmy. How often do we see "I know something you don't know"  posts on here ?

Who is it within the club that is leaking snippets to their chums ? And why is it happening ?

I think this is unhelpful !!

Literally happens with every single club.

The club is absolutely watertight compared to previous years. Would any of us have even known another bid had gone in for McMenamin is Scott Burns hadn't reported it? I certainly hadn't heard anything before it was reported and clearly it has been leaked out to Burns deliberately. 

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Strain has no intention of signing an extension so enjoy him while he is here.

Nor did Dunne or Main... funny how it can sometimes go...

We will try, of that you can be sure

Edited by medals

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I can't understand why leaks about players that our management is actively pursuing are deliberately being put out.

It's simple. Leaks are to gain an advantage.  Agents and selling clubs saying, "anyone else interested in joining in" or the interested club trying to gain by telling other possibilities your chances are diminishing... SF verses Main. For example.

1 minute ago, medals said:

It's simple. Leaks are to gain an advantage.  Agents and selling clubs saying, "anyone else interested in joining in" or the interested club trying to gain by telling other possibilities your chances are diminishing... SF verses Main. For example.

An advantage to whom ?

If we are pursuing a player, how is it to our advantage to make this known to rivals ? The leaks I'm talking about are from within St Mirren. Why would we want to welcome a counter bidder ?

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

An advantage to whom ?

If we are pursuing a player, how is it to our advantage to make this known to rivals ? The leaks I'm talking about are from within St Mirren. Why would we want to welcome a counter bidder ?

Are you certain we leaked this to Scott Burns? If it is true then I'd suggest it was already a done deal and we are getting it out there before the official announcement.  Why?  Shows we mean business and are doing well and gets the fans up for season tickets and merchandising.

1 hour ago, Stan Bo said:

Bedeau is a left footed centre half. We already have Dunne and Taylor. Would assume we will go back for Bedeau next summer. I would say it's McMenamin, Fletcher and possibly Sule 

I've never seen Bedeau play , but I'm thinking he,s a centre half that's left footed , who can play centrally or on the left side of three central defenders . Was thinking he would be taking over from Shaunessy. 

2 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I've never seen Bedeau play , but I'm thinking he,s a centre half that's left footed , who can play centrally or on the left side of three central defenders . Was thinking he would be taking over from Shaunessy. 

Bedeau I think was a replacement for Dunne.

Not that Dunne has signed, I think there's not a chance we go with 3 left footers.

More likely if we go for a CB it will be for centre or right side of the three centre halves.

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

We need a better left back in addition to 2 more strikers

Indeed

Worries about a 6th choice CB are a joke

We need forwards and a left wing back as priority

If a CB or a keeper who is better than what we have then good. But not priorities 

I’m old enough to remember St Mirren paying a Scottish record transfer fee for a keeper yet to play a single first team match with our reserve being 17 years old

and to this day, both are the best keepers I’ve ever seen play for St Mirrren 

Rumours have been coming out of St Mirren since the ‘70s. 

A lot is released from within the club deliberately. One of our greatest ever managers used the press to gain any advantages he could. 

IMG_2980.thumb.jpeg.e60e02b97be0383985176066e7216052.jpeg

IMG_2978.jpeg.c141c3c6e220683b765f7ae94770253d.jpeg

Release date : 4th February 1977

IMG_2981.thumb.jpeg.14a36374f856b488e195f1f2e4212689.jpeg

Rumours? The internet is filled with it. 

Have you ever had someone ask you “can you keep a secret?”

Well it’s clearly obvious they can’t! 😂 

Keep them coming. It’s all part of the fun. 

18 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I noticed Murray Campbell wasn’t with the squad in Belfast. Has the move to Burnley happened?

I’ve seen a few folk mention his name on Twitter, in connection with a Burnley move. 
Would there be a development fee involved or is he under contract similar to Dylan Reid. 

9 hours ago, medals said:

Are you certain we leaked this to Scott Burns? If it is true then I'd suggest it was already a done deal and we are getting it out there before the official announcement.  Why?  Shows we mean business and are doing well and gets the fans up for season tickets and merchandising.

I like that version . Might not agree with it . But I hope your correct .