The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

As disappointing as it is, Glentoran are entitled to hold out and ultimately decline what we are offering. Fair play to them, and most of us would probably expect our club to do the same in similar circumstances. 

Perhaps they don't do gentlemens agreements over there....

1 minute ago, Drooper said:

As disappointing as it is, Glentoran are entitled to hold out and ultimately decline what we are offering. Fair play to them, and most of us would probably expect our club to do the same in similar circumstances. 

I suspect they might have some interest from an English outfit, therefore holding out for more money is in their better interests.

Just now, Captain_Sensible said:

I reckon that McMenamin will be a Saint before the transfer window is over. They’ll have an unhappy player on their hands otherwise. 

Assuming he doesn't have suitors with deeper pockets from elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I suspect they might have some interest from an English outfit, therefore holding out for more money is in their better interests.

I think they have played us to generate interest of the players availability.  Clubs that might not have been aware of McMenamin have now been made aware of his availability.  But will they pay £150k and a decent wage for a relatively unknown player .

They have already brought his replacement in at no cost , and it is worth noting that his replacement Daire O'connor played for Cliftonville at the same time as McMenamin and  went to Ayr United where he made little impression.  So there is no guarantee of highly rated  players coming from Northern Ireland and setting the heather alight .

I'm not convinced the deal is off . 

21 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I reckon that McMenamin will be a Saint before the transfer window is over. They’ll have an unhappy player on their hands otherwise. 

If it does happen, I reckon it will have to happen relatively sharp, as in the next couple of weeks.

We're not going to sit on that bit of budget set aside on the off chance that Glentoran and the player reach and agreement that deals us in. By the end of the window there's a good shout that we've nothing like the budget left to even go back with whatever offer is on the table just now.

32 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I can see Glentorans point here, he’s an international player with a year still on his deal, it says they are only looking for 150k?

We’ve let Brophy go for 6 figures and we’ve received money for Henderson plus we had budget sitting there so I don’t see anything wrong with them wanting 150k or us paying that. 

We’ve lost Main, Watt, brophy and Henderson now, Carson likely to follow. 

It’s been a poor window so far.

Just over a week until the start of the season and so far we have brought in two guys on loan, one of which doesn’t yet have a work permit and the other to replace a keeper that we didn’t expect to have to replace a few weeks ago. 
Being safe at the split doesn’t seem to have allowed us to get much business sorted out early unless the club shop has run out of scarfs for new signings to hold above their head. 
Possibly too early to get too concerned but another league cup group stage failure would be a kick in the teeth. 

6 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Just over a week until the start of the season and so far we have brought in two guys on loan, one of which doesn’t yet have a work permit and the other to replace a keeper that we didn’t expect to have to replace a few weeks ago. 
Being safe at the split doesn’t seem to have allowed us to get much business sorted out early unless the club shop has run out of scarfs for new signings to hold above their head. 
Possibly too early to get too concerned but another league cup group stage failure would be a kick in the teeth. 

It has been slow this time round.  A lot of eggs seem to have been placed in a McMenamin shaped basket, but we need to hope there are plenty more irons in the fire (using mixed metaphors at this time in the morning is a despicable trait, so my apologies for that).

Edited by Drooper

Think it's important to remember that we're not in the exact same spot as previous pre-seasons.

We don't usually negotiate with clubs over players, usually whoever we are after is a free agent so there's an extra hurdle for any deals to fall over.

Still convinced we'll get there and squad will be in reasonably better shape by start of LC group and much better shape by Hibs game. 

What a novelty to be the buying club in this situation.

I think, if it was our board, then the combination of having a player who wants to leave and the prospect of losing him for nothing on a pre-contract would mean that it would happen this window. The Glentoran board? Who knows....

Still nearly 5 weeks until the first league game of the season. I suspect there's still a good chance McMenamin will be a St Mirren player on August 4th.

15 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

It seems to have been a very slow window for a lot of clubs. If you look at the squads of most of our rivals, there are gaping holes which still need to be filled. I still reckon we need a goalie if Carson goes, a left wing back, right sided centre half and a couple of forwards. Other teams need a lot more, so i'm not panicking yet.

15 minutes ago, billyg said:

I get the feeling McMenamin will still sign for us in the next day or two. 

I hope so . McMenamin could put in his transfer request , which would be  %5 more money for Glentoran and Saints could increase their sell on percentage . Hoping that no bid for the player comes out the blue . The player wants to come to us which is a massive plus .

Maybe St Mirren will wait until our undergarments are slightly soiled before dropping a four-man signing photo bomb on us. Last time it happened, was it Dargo, Haining, erm, someone else, and, erm, Howard the keeper?

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Maybe St Mirren will wait until our undergarments are slightly soiled before dropping a four-man signing photo bomb on us. Last time it happened, was it Dargo, Haining, erm, someone else, and, erm, Howard the keeper?

Gary Mason was the other. Remember it well as it came from absolutely nowhere.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Gary Mason was the other. Remember it well as it came from absolutely nowhere.

Gary Mason. I always rated him. Solid and reliable for the most part.

ETA: sounds as though I'm describing healthy bowel movements there, so no offence to Gary.

Edited by Drooper