The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

@gannonball I’m not gonna complain if our manager signs SF.

He is a striker with a great history - of that there is no doubt. I’m just a little fearful as we’ve been down this path many times before and it rarely works out for us. 
Your side have experienced it with guys like Roy Keane in the past. 

Roy Keane was a tremendous player in his brief time for us imo but I get what you mean probably Ljunberg or Carlton Cole would be more accurate who's legs were long gone. I think Fletcher's slightly different though where he's managed a a decent whack of games in the same league which makes it less of a risk and was decent. Although I get that a player at that age with no resale value and would expect a decent wage will always pose a risk.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Roy Keane was a tremendous player in his brief time for us imo

Keane played a total of 10 games. His debut was losing to Clyde. He himself said he was embarrassed to pick up a wage at Celtic as he was a permanently crocked with multiple injuries. 
Your club can certainly afford those gambles. We sadly can’t. 

2 hours ago, Div said:

Think with Nemani, Greive and Ayunga on the books we will be looking for another two forward players.

Jamieson and Offord don’t offer enough at this stage of their careers for me, and I really don’t think Olusanya is ever going to offer enough.

Alan Nixon has decent connections especially in Dundee and he seems to think Fletcher is coming 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6888.jpeg

Fingers crossed that would be a tramendous signing.  

28 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Keane played a total of 10 games. His debut was losing to Clyde. He himself said he was embarrassed to pick up a wage at Celtic as he was a permanently crocked with multiple injuries. 
Your club can certainly afford those gambles. We sadly can’t. 

He was on about 17 grand a week, the pick up in tickets, shirts sales etc would nearly have paid for it. In those 10 games he picked up a couple of motm including bodying Ferguson in a derby and filled in a couple of positions for us. When you hear ex players talk nowadays the extra intensity in training from him turning up and being more friendly with the younger players he certainly wasn't a flop for me but the papers like to just cling on to the Clyde game when it was another  debutant that was the real flop who cost the game really(du wei). Anyway I'm going off piste a bit on the wrong thread.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

We have history of handing out decent contracts to ageing strikers down the years and it has rarely worked out. eg Archibald, Creaney, McAvennie (2nd time), Paatelainen. I’m sure there are others. 
We initially signed Thommo on a 2 year deal and his first 3 seasons were very good. But his last contract extension did not work out. 

Gerry Creaney was only 28 when he played for Saints! 😆

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

He was twice that around the waste.

It’s hard to believe but Manchester City paid £1.5 million for Creaney from Portsmouth just 3 years before he played for us ! 

He did score 3 goals in his 12 appearances though!

His football career was over at age 30, crazy when you look at his record at Celtic and Portsmouth when he was young! 

Steven Thompson actually had the 3 most prolific goalscoring seasons in his career at the ages 33 to 35 when playing for Saints. It was at age 36 when he had injury problems that it tapered out.

Mixu Paatelainen was 36 when he came to us on the back of a good season at St Johnstone. He started well then was also struck by injury.

This highlights that injury at that age for a striker is hard to come back from

Craig Brewster is an example of a striker who avoided injury and was still banging them in for Dunfermline and ICT up to age 40.

If Fletcher is fit and avoids injury then I’m sure we can get a decent season out of him, even at age 36.

Edited by Captain_Sensible

The Dons fan that came in peace saying we should be doing better than Curtis Main has missed the problem in that regard. Sure, we’d love to swap Main & maybe Greive for Kyogo and Lyndon Dykes, but we don’t, and cannot, operate in that market. We’re in a market alongside St Johnstone, Livingston, Motherwell, and suchlike. The trick is to unearth a good un’… like Van Veen at Motherwell proved to be. Main is actually the perfect example of the type of front man we can afford, and has done us a turn. The guy’s workrate, tracking back to undertake defensive duties and attitude has been first class since Robbo arrived. Turned himself into a bit of a fan favourite, and that’s no mean feat, given how we’re a bunch of moaning faced bawbag boo boys. 😁

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

1. Has he been spotted buying chunky Kit Kats in Asda Linwood?

2. Has he been photographed standing beside the club crest at Ralston?

3. Has he held up a scarf with the ‘SMFC’ seats clearly visible in the background?

Until all three questions are answered in the affirmative, then it’s all bullshoite.