The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 25/07/2023 at 21:58, Captain_Sensible said:

Forfar almost certainly through already as they’ll be one of the best runners up even if they lose to us.

Not sure if that is in our favour or not? 

An early goal tomorrow to settle everyone would be nice. If we aren't winning in the first 20 I can see the boo boys having a field day.

On 25/07/2023 at 22:01, CambieBud said:

This is not new. I was at Forfar when we got humped 5-1 years ago. East Kilbride a few years ago, when we won on penalties. Plenty of others over the decades. I have always feared any lower league side away, St Mirren just don’t blow these sides away. Never have done

I remember sitting in the northbank right behind the East Fife player who rattled in a complete worldly in off the bar when they beat us 1-0.

Its definitely nothing new for us and other Premiership teams. I'm not expecting 5-0s in every game but we should be qualifying from this seasons group and last seasons group without too much drama. Just one of they things. 

28 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Still looking for a left back and a forward. Mystery striker not happening anymore he jinxed it.

Robbo waiting for Real to pull out and then swoop in for Mbappe

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

An early goal tomorrow to settle everyone would be nice. If we aren't winning in the first 20 I can see the boo boys having a field day.

I remember sitting in the northbank right behind the East Fife player who rattled in a complete worldly in off the bar when they beat us 1-0.

Its definitely nothing new for us and other Premiership teams. I'm not expecting 5-0s in every game but we should be qualifying from this seasons group and last seasons group without too much drama. Just one of they things. 

IIRC he was out of League football within a coupla years strange to think us Saints fans are likely the only ones to remember him these days.

Edited by btb

50 minutes ago, btb said:

IIRC he was out of League football within a coupla years strange to think us Saints fans are the likely the only ones to remember him these days.

Reveal hidden contents

Gordon Strachan was there that night, because we were playing Celtic in the next game, and he commented that the guy might as well retire because he was never going to top that goal.😀

1 hour ago, btb said:

IIRC he was out of League football within a coupla years strange to think us Saints fans are likely the only ones to remember him these days.

51 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Gordon Strachan was there that night, because we were playing Celtic in the next game, and he commented that the guy might as well retire because he was never going to top that goal.😀

This video doesn't really do it any justice. 

On a seperate note - Love St 🥲. The view from the Caley stand will never be beaten for away fans. 

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

I only went to Love Street once, a cup game im sure we won 3-1 in like 2006.

Jumping to celebrate goals had me convinced i was about to land a few rows forward 😂

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

This video doesn't really do it any justice. 

On a seperate note - Love St 🥲. The view from the Caley stand will never be beaten for away fans. 

Watched a game from the Caley stand once. Sat amongst Hearts fans high up in the stand for a game. Murder polis’ sitting on my hands and acting neutral at best. Was an interesting experience, but a magnificent view. 

I used to enjoy watching from the Caley Stand when teams with smallish supports were playing then at some point after 2000/01 the club started cordoning off the outside sections but it was still a fantastic view even if you had to tone down your Saintliness! :angel

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Was that a replay? I think the first game was a draw in Perth?

IIRC Andy Millen's last game for Saints he was subbed early as his legs were no longer up to it.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jumping to celebrate goals had me convinced i was about to land a few rows forward 😂

We got absolutely battered that night. 

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Watched a game from the Caley stand once. Sat amongst Hearts fans high up in the stand for a game. Murder polis’ sitting on my hands and acting neutral at best. Was an interesting experience, but a magnificent view. 

I originally started off in Cairters corner then the Love St terracing and ended up in the NB at the end.

Just an amazing stadium. Really is a crying shame we had to move. 

We got the free tickets off the school and were housed in the Caley stand. I wasn't the fud that threw the toilet roll at our keeper that time 🙄 was it Alan Combe in goals? We went 2-0 against Stirling Albion, came back and won 3-2 I think.

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Was that a replay? I think the first game was a draw in Perth?

Aye Dorman scored for us im sure. They were in the First Division as well. 

Aye I sat in the Caley stand when my pals wee brother got free tickets for a game we ended up losing to a Zahani-Oni inspired Stirling Albion. 

What a superb stand. So steep you felt like you could fall to your death any point you stood up but what a view! 

9 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We got absolutely battered that night. 

I originally started off in Cairters corner then the Love St terracing and ended up in the NB at the end.

Just an amazing stadium. Really is a crying shame we had to move. 

We got the free tickets off the school and were housed in the Caley stand. I wasn't the fud that threw the toilet roll at our keeper that time 🙄 was it Alan Combe in goals? We went 2-0 against Stirling Albion, came back and won 3-2 I think.

Aye Dorman scored for us im sure. They were in the First Division as well. 

I’m relaxed about the move now. Heading towards fifteen years at the new midden at a rate of knots? Unbelieveable. In an ideal world, Love Street could have been re-developed into a ‘mini Tynecastle’ type stadium (think 4 x Caley Stands around the pitch), but was unaffordable, and unworkable due to the houses behind the old main stand.

I honestly believe that had we not moved, as we stand here in 2023 we may well be (no disrespect) where Dunfermline are. Big stadium, yes, but not a Top 6 top flight side with a feelgood factor and record season ticket sales. Who knows though. There was no sugar daddy to rebuild Love Street.

Edited by pozbaird

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You would have been nowhere near first. I once watched a Dundee Utd fan go fully head first down the entire stand when they scored against us in the cup and get up and bounce about like nothing happened. He must have been steaming and could probably barely walk next day.

It was honestly one of, if not the best stand in Scottish football for views in the brief time it was with us (around 15 years all on). It was also unique with the stairwell bolted on the side of the stand. I was probably in it about 4 or 5 times total for games and it was utterly terrifying in a good way.