The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 hours ago, Torfason said:

My point wasn’t that I was claiming he was withholding labour, it was that football clubs should be run like every other professional business. If he is available and prepared to play, he is better on the bench, if he is not then fire him.

I don’t understand why a business would have a highly paid employee and not have them contribute, football is simply weird, where the business cuts off its nose to spite it’s face or where employees are given so much control.

At the moment all we know is he isn't being picked for match day squads. We don't know the facts so suggesting he is withholding labour is pure speculation. 

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

At the moment all we know is he isn't being picked for match day squads. We don't know the facts so suggesting he is withholding labour is pure speculation. 

I'm sure he's been told that as long as he's demanding a move, he won't be part of the match day squad.

In the unlikely event that he committed himself to the club, then he'd surely be picked as one of the two match day 'keepers.

4 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Did no-one point out to Michael Stewart that Strain and Baccus are foreigners? 

Stewart’s point was that the big Scottish clubs haven’t swooped for obvious talent within the division they play in when its right under their nose, nationality didn’t come into it. He asked why they automatically seem to look to the foreign market. For example, Celtic and The Rangers bring in South Koreans and so on. He couldn’t understand why a bigger club (The uglies, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs) don’t seem to be in for Strain or O’Hara. Chick jumped in with ‘stop trying to sell St Mirren’s best players, eh?’. Stewart replied ‘surely it’s a compliment though Chick’. I wish Chick would then have said something that I was thinking - ‘aye, it’s a compliment if you’re suggesting a biggish English club should sign them for a million plus, not you saying they should fcuk off to a direct rival for thruppence ha’penny and a half chewed packet of Hubba Bubba’. Sadly though, Chick didn’t.

Edited by pozbaird

Strange times IMO.

There have been no recent rumours in the press, or any other media sources, about English Championship teams who are ready to "swoop" or "pounce" for Ryan Strain.

Or Keanu Baccus. 

Or Mark O'Hara.

WTF ? These guys would cruise it at English Championship level. And they would probably be available at a price they could easily afford. 

Genuinely, I am bamboozled by the apparent lack of interest in these guys. Not disappointed, just bamboozled. 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Strange times IMO.

There have been no recent rumours in the press, or any other media sources, about English Championship teams who are ready to "swoop" or "pounce" for Ryan Strain.

Or Keanu Baccus. 

Or Mark O'Hara.

WTF ? These guys would cruise it at English Championship level. And they would probably be available at a price they could easily afford. 

Genuinely, I am bamboozled by the apparent lack of interest in these guys. Not disappointed, just bamboozled. 

Are you Stewart in disguise? Are you Stew-art in disguise? Are you…. 😜

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Strange times IMO.

Or Keanu Baccus. 

Or Mark O'Hara.

O’Hara has already had a shot at League One level in England with Peterborough and they let him go to Motherwell for a nominal fee. 

Cup game v Well has been confirmed as Saturday 19th, 3pm kick off. Happy with that. No surprise that the OF have both been ‘selected’ for tv; Hibs and Hearts are both playing on Sunday, with 2pm starts.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The prize money will cone directly from the SFA who will then have to deal with Viaplay paying up. I'd say clubs are at no risk of not being paid up by SFA for a national cup competition. 

Not trying to pick holes. But given this is the League Cup would it not be under the financial control of the SPFL rather than the SFA?

The SPFL is still under the leadership of that cnut Doncaster? 😒 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sorry Paul, I've no clue what that means.

Presumably because I'm an old out-of-touch twat, eh ?

😀

Michael Stewart, tried to sell our best players. See posts a wee bit earlier. You gave off a similar vibe…. Shhh! Don’t attract attention. 😜

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Michael Stewart, tried to sell our best players. See posts a wee bit earlier. You gave off a similar vibe…. Shhh! Don’t attract attention. 😜

Oh, THAT Stewart !! Gotcha now.

My bad, silly old twat right enough. 

😀

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

It shows how difficult it is for us to make inroads in making top 5 when hibs can sign a player for £700,000. Robbo is worth his weight in gold when you see the job he has done with limited budget

But how much did Hibs get for Nisbet and Porteous recently