The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

So we have let Shaunessy , Tait , Main , Brophy , Gallagher , Carson , Small and Henderson go and have Gilmartin , Offord and Taylor out on loan . And have brought in Hemmings , Bolton , Nahdami , McMenamin , Mandron ( have I forgot someone ) in , and are about £100k up on transfer dealings . I'm thinking we could be seeing at least 4 new signings . 

There is the argument that we've retained a lot of guys, while getting rid of those who are permanently injured (Brophy) or have probably hit the end of the road (Tait). It's not a massively different squad, but we can't take away the fact that, aside for the reasons behind it, we have "lost" two keys players up front and in goals. I'm not sure if we have replaced those players effectively, although that's just my opinion, Robinson (who obviously sees these guys on a daily basis) may have a different opinion.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Robinson told PA Sport: "In an ideal world we would like to strengthen in two areas of the pitch."

Considering an ideal world is probably not the one we'll find ourselves in, this is a pretty clear hint that the LB(LWB) and an ill fated striker will be the remaining additions. Puts a bit of a kibosh on the idea of an experienced keeper coming in now Carson's wages have been freed up.

I don't think there's much point listening to what he says in public at this stage.

He tells the press one thing and does a completely different thing behind closed doors.

I'm absolutely ok with this. Play the "we're skint" card all day long in public and I'm happy to just wait until there's photos of new signings holding a scarf up.

That said, it makes his comments 3 weeks ago about the new striker more baffling. He'd have been better placed just saying he has targets in mind and is hopeful of doing some business, rather than spilling the beans about a deal that has seemingly fallen through.

If that's Robinson's only blunder of this window then I can live with that.

I'm expecting at least three more in before the window closes.

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Shocking season, outstanding strips 😍 The words "Raith Away" still sends shivers down the spine.

We got our karma against Raith in the Millennium Champions season. 6-0 2nd game of the season, Tommy Turner's last minute header at Love Street and coming from 1-0 down to win 2-1 in the last 3 minutes. I thought I was going to have a heart attack at Juniors goal.

Not to mention they were the cannon fodder for the title game. 

49 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

So we have let Shaunessy , Tait , Main , Brophy , Gallagher , Carson , Small and Henderson go and have Gilmartin , Offord and Taylor out on loan . And have brought in Hemmings , Bolton , Nahdami , McMenamin , Mandron ( have I forgot someone ) in , and are about £100k up on transfer dealings . I'm thinking we could be seeing at least 4 new signings . 

Watt away too.

Yes we should have more than 2 more signings, but are they filling squad places with guys like Sutherland, Kenny and Jamieson. To be fair, they deserve a chance if it arises.

No doubt we have some budget left though.

Edit. And CBM now fully ready too

Edited by medals

My main worry is upfront. Olusanya, etc do not fill me with confidence of getting a good amount of goals. Mandron if stays fit will be our surprise package but in terms of others I have the fear. Stav has got a couple but is already injured. 

We badly need another oven ready striker. 

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Joe, played last 1/3rd and Gallagher first 2/3rds were like losing 1 player. Both players though definitely tailing off from their peaks.

Tait, Brophy and Henderson contributed squat.

Small and Watt didn't do a great deal for us.

I suspect Hemming will do a decent job at replacing Huff boy and although Main had a great season and worked his socks off, chances are we will score more goals this year with Stav, Conor and Mika

Edited by medals

Im not too fussed about another striker, we have plenty even if the quality is lacking in a couple. Would like to see a LWB and CB so we can keep Goga in midfield. I would prefer LJ starting over Olusanya but SR seems intent on giving him more game time. McMenamin should get some game time aswell

hopefully Hibs are more concerned with the European ties and keep Boyle off the pitch.

22 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

Im not too fussed about another striker, we have plenty even if the quality is lacking in a couple. Would like to see a LWB and CB so we can keep Goga in midfield. I would prefer LJ starting over Olusanya but SR seems intent on giving him more game time. McMenamin should get some game time aswell

hopefully Hibs are more concerned with the European ties and keep Boyle off the pitch.

I'd agree with you - if we keep Strain and he remains fit we will have nothing to worry about, as he will create plenty of chances for our forwards, as well as pose a threat from free-kicks. O'Hara will create chances and score, as he did last season (who can forget his brace at Ibrox?). Admittedly, we have only seen McMenamin play lower league sides, but he too looks like he will put in plenty of crosses and coupled with the aerial threat Mandron poses, I think we will be okay. 

Olusanya wasn't prolific at Arbroath, but with better service I think he will score goals. Grieve has disappointed me most, tbh.

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes

35 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

They can take Boyle out and replace him with their new 700k striker. This is a nice problem to have. 

I totally agree with a LWB and perhaps a centre half. Gogic dives in too much at CB. 

I would still love a better finisher at the club 

Goalkeepers

Urminsky (24), Hemming (23), Kelly (16)

Defenders

Dunne (30), Fraser (29), R.Taylor (22), Tanser (28), Strain (26), Kenny (19), Sutherland (17), Bolton (28)

Midfielders

O'Hara (27), Gogic (29), Flynn (34), Baccus (25), Kiltie (26), Boyd-Munce (23), Gaffney (19)

Forwards

Ayunga (26), Greive (24), Olusanya (25), Jamieson (21), Nahmani (20), McMenamin (27), Mandron (28)

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

1 hour ago, medals said:

Watt away too.

Yes we should have more than 2 more signings, but are they filling squad places with guys like Sutherland, Kenny and Jamieson. To be fair, they deserve a chance if it arises.

No doubt we have some budget left though.

Edit. And CBM now fully ready too

I would discount the loans, we’re still paying most of the wages and we had a load of guys out on loan last season. Olusanya was also out on loan at Arbroath and is now back.

Watt can be netted off against Brophy as he was out on loan at Ross Co.

So 8 senior players out and 5 new players in (plus Olusanya)

But remember, we didn’t have Richard Taylor and Boyd-Munce at the start of last season.

These guys came in on trials at the second half of last season with a view to being effectively new players this season. So that’s 2 extra new senior players, albeit BM was a replacement for Erhahon

Lewis Jamieson was also away on loan in first half of last season and has been retained for this season as a first team squad member, presumably on a higher wage.

So I’d say that 2 new signings is about right. 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

Still reckon there will be four coming in , I'm thinking the players who have left are on  higher wages than the ones we have brought in and we have probably made £100k profit so far . Also I think Baccus and Strain will be off by in January so I think it makes sense to have potential replacements in as early as possible. 

Direct quote from the Record.

With Carson having left Paisley for a six-figure fee, St Mirren will look to reinvest and add to their squad over the coming weeks

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/st-mirren-boss-stephen-robinson-30623203

On 03/08/2023 at 00:23, Dee Bliss said:

Dinnae believe everything you read in the papers or on twitter mate. 

On 03/08/2023 at 06:51, djchapsticks said:

Nope. Just that a fee was agreed. There was never a suggestion of 6 figures.

Just going back to the young guys going out on loan. Offord is 19, Taylor is 20.

Going back to the start of the season we won the Scottish Cup in 86/87 and looking at the players - Ferguson, Hamilton, Winnie and Cameron were all 19. Paul Lambert was 17.

David Winnie had first established himself as a first team regular in 83/84, Ian Cameron was a first team regular. We paid £60k for Ian Ferguson. 

Thierry Small was only 18 last season. 

Ian Ferguson was a £1 million player (1987 prices) by the time he reached Fraser Taylor’s age. He was a star player in the Premier League.

Shouldn’t these guys be in the first team squad at this age?

Edited by Captain_Sensible

9 minutes ago, medals said:

Direct quote from the Record.

With Carson having left Paisley for a six-figure fee, St Mirren will look to reinvest and add to their squad over the coming weeks

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/st-mirren-boss-stephen-robinson-30623203

I'm not sure why you've quoted me there.

I was referring to someone saying that Scott Burns suggested we'd gotten six figures for Gallagher which was never the case, he's only said we'd agreed a fee - nothing to do with Carson, bud.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not sure why you've quoted me there.

I was referring to someone saying that Scott Burns suggested we'd gotten six figures for Gallagher which was never the case, he's only said we'd agreed a fee - nothing to do with Carson, bud.

Ok... thanks I see that now - sorry.

The Dundee guy Dee Bliss  was claiming Carson was less than 6 figures.

Edited by medals