The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, medals said:

It didn't though. Nether was I defending the tackle - just saying that in this "man's game" at this level these things happen and that your stance is hypocritical.

Please be specific about what I’m being hypocritical about here. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Please be specific about what I’m being hypocritical about here. 

You made out Smalls tackle was atrocious completely ignoring your own teams many dreadful tackles and other off the ball thuggery they dish out. Just one example - see link below

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DoqggnHp5pBA&ved=2ahUKEwju5sfqkfuAAxUVkFwKHepMCvwQwqsBegQIEBAG&usg=AOvVaw10YZ2Qxtosu62ffbN4FSoj

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t 

Strange take. As I said I don’t hold it against the guy. I don’t think he meant it. It was, however, a shocker. 

No one claimed our team was ‘angelic’ either, just a bit poor that you’d allow a partisan view to defend a tackle that could’ve caused a very serious injury. 

Did anyone in our support defend it at the time? Think nearly every St. Mirren fan winced and called it for what it was at the time which was a stinking challenge.

Indeed a lot of Saints fans still hold this and the Kilmarnock red against Small. Fact is he's a good young player but very rash. The mitigation for that is that he was 18. He's still young and learning. It doesn't excuse him from blame of course but there's undoubtedly talent there and he's a good signing for us as an option to push Tanser hard.

1 minute ago, medals said:

You made out Smalls tackle was atrocious completely ignoring your own teams many dreadful tackles and other off the ball thuggery they dish out. Just one example - see link below

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DoqggnHp5pBA&ved=2ahUKEwju5sfqkfuAAxUVkFwKHepMCvwQwqsBegQIEBAG&usg=AOvVaw10YZ2Qxtosu62ffbN4FSoj

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Did anyone in our support defend it at the time? Think nearly every St. Mirren fan winced and called it for what it was at the time which was a stinking challenge.

Indeed a lot of Saints fans still hold this and the Kilmarnock red against Small. Fact is he's a good young player but very rash. The mitigation for that is that he was 18. He's still young and learning. It doesn't excuse him from blame of course but there's undoubtedly talent there and he's a good signing for us as an option to push Tanser hard.

Lads, I actually don’t want to derail your thread with this but let’s just close out. 

I specifically called out @medals post as being poor. I think it’s a poor take to what was a bad tackle. I will stand by that. I’m sorry if medals felt that in calling his post poor I should’ve listed a whole raft of Aberdeen challenges from the past I’m ashamed of. 

I went out of my way to say I didn’t hold it against smalls and that I don’t feel he meant it. I have not called out st Mirren as a fan base for supporting/defending the challenge.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I specifically called out @medals post as being poor. I think it’s a poor take to what was a bad tackle. I will stand by that. 

I went out of my way to say I didn’t hold it against smalls and that I don’t feel he meant it. I have not called out st Mirren as a fan base for supporting/defending the challenge.

Great your a nice guy!

It was a poor tackle, no one has said otherwise.

I simply pointed out players at this level make them - your players too.

Stewart's tackle was far worse and he's not 18.

With Small sending off being violence play, i am guessing he can't play tomorrow or against Livy, since the only game he miss was our last game of the season ?

This is assuming he doesn't start the season with a clean slate. 

Edited by tam the bud

Not surprised seeing Small back at Saints, I think if he cuts out the brain farts he could be one of the best young players in this league. At 19 years old he still has a ton of learning to do, and it’s good to see that a loan player who probably had other options this season has decided to come back for a second spell. Young guys like Baccus, Taylor, Olusanya and Small will thrive amongst this group I have no doubt, I can’t remember a St Mirren team with as much togetherness as this one and that’s including Jack Ross’ Championship teams. 

10 hours ago, tam the bud said:

With Small sending off being violence play, i am guessing he can't play tomorrow or against Livy, since the only game he miss was our last game of the season ?

This is assuming he doesn't start the season with a clean slate. 

It would have been serious foul play which is usually a 2 match ban. I don't know if he'll be suspended today or not. 

28 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

There was an excellent article on Thierry in last month’s Athletic.  Described him as “Southampton’s forgotten young talent running out of options”. 

Great to have him back and hopefully we’ll see the very best of him this season.  

Running out of options due to his idiotic sendings off at other places he’s been? Or just been out on loan to a few places but ends up back at Southampton, where he doesn’t break through and goes out on loan again? I have zero idea about Small’s career path as a teenager so far. He’s a player alright, but I thought his ‘double yellow in about ten seconds’ was so fcuking stupid I thought his manager might boot him squarely in the stones and ask questions later. Teenager or not.

Hope he does very well, hope he gets his career moving. Fully behind him and welcome back.*

Edit to add - For clarity, I am not actually advocating a boot in the haw-maws as being a good man management technique. We have hatchet man Charlie ‘Killer’ Dunne to run around chopping opposition players in half at every turn already, so no need to boot our own players in the family jewels. Thank you. 😝

*Don’t be a diddy. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

It would have been serious foul play which is usually a 2 match ban. I don't know if he'll be suspended today or not. 

Well I hope the club know.

Wouldn’t it be just like us to win 3-0 today but bring Thierry on for 30 seconds at the end to waste time. 
Only to get fined and a result reversal for playing an ineligible player. 😩

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well I hope the club know.

Wouldn’t it be just like us to win 3-0 today but bring Thierry on for 30 seconds at the end to waste time. 
Only to get fined and a result reversal for playing an ineligible player. 😩

Still got two games of his suspension left by the looks of it, as the last game of the season will have counted.

image.png.ef2833dda8d8192e845e97cc31c85ef6.png

Edited by FTOF

Just now, Wilbur said:

Just wondering, with Small having returned to his parent club until this week, is there any chance that Southampton's league fixtures this season might count for the suspension ?

Straws. Clutching.

That’s what I was thinking but probably irrelevant since he’ll not be up to speed and Scott Tanser has been one of our most consistent players this season so far.