The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 hours ago, Molotov said:

IMG_4762.thumb.jpeg.96fae670f57eed8629539d3f116f8715.jpeg

All three brothers represented our club with pride but Stephen proved to be a class above. 

Stephen galvanised our side during his second spell from relegation certainties to champions the following season. 

Will we see a future generation of McGinn’s play for our team? 

What a footballing DyNAsty his parents produced for our club.

There can’t be many top flight sides in the world who had 3 brothers play for the same club.

Welcome home skipper!

One of my favourite saints pics ever.  Welcome home skipper 

I hope I’m wrong.

Ideally John has an immense season with Villa and is pivotal in Scotland achieving greatness in Germany 2024.

In the pre-season Villa are offered a transfer fee they just can’t turn down and St Mirren (and Hibs) both benefit.

After a decline in fortunes following his Ballon D’or in 2024 he returns to St Mirren as captain working under brother Stephen (manager) alongside assistants Ryan Flynn and Paul McGinn with of course Jamie Langfield as goalkeeper guru!

He then leads St Mirren to the SPFL title and Champions League glory!  

Stephen Robinson had so much success with St Mirren in season 2023/24 winning a league and cup double after a tremendous second half of the season that he became Barcelona manager and it was him who convinced his new club to purchase John after the Euros! 

The title was won on the last day of the season at Dens Park on goal difference from Celtic who lost to two late goals from former Saint Lawrence Shankland. 

St Mirren cuffed Dundee 5-0.

😂 😜 😝 

37 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I would love to see John return at some stage but I get the feeling he may prefer to close his career up in the east end of Glasgow unfortunately. 😢

It’s what his grandfather would want if you believe the press. 😂 

The way he still talks about St Mirren on social media fully suggests he wants to play for you again.

I suspect it might come down to how his decline goes as he ages, if he can play at a higher level until the end then i think he will. If he starts to struggle i think he'd rather spend his final couple of years with you (league dependent) than some no-mark EFL club.

Hes never really relied on pace so it maybe depends on if he loses his ability to turn quickly, cant see anything else about him that would decline with age physically.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The way he still talks about St Mirren on social media fully suggests he wants to play for you again.

I suspect it might come down to how his decline goes as he ages, if he can play at a higher level until the end then i think he will. If he starts to struggle i think he'd rather spend his final couple of years with you (league dependent) than some no-mark EFL club.

Hes never really relied on pace so it maybe depends on if he loses his ability to turn quickly, cant see anything else about him that would decline with age physically.

Can’t disagree with your assessment here in regard to abilty and age dictating any future McGinn move. If Meatball Heid ever finishes his career at St Mirren, it will surely follow the exact same path as Sir Thommo’ of Hampden. Have made their money down South, are at an age where their post-playing career is in their mind, and importantly, want to return home and make the rest of their life back in Scotland - as opposed say, to doing a Jordan Henderson. Who knows, McGinn could quite conceviably receive an offer from some Saudi mob at age 32 or whatever. Easy money, and tons of it. I can see McGinn seeing his career out at Villa now, especially as they are a club clearly on the up. He’ll leave them as a legend, captain, etc. Just my gut feeling. All the McGinn brothers who pulled on the stripes have greatly contributed to the St Mirren story. Some bois. Should be a wee McGinn only section created in our HoF. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I hope I’m wrong.

Ideally John has an immense season with Villa and is pivotal in Scotland achieving greatness in Germany 2024.

In the pre-season Villa are offered a transfer fee they just can’t turn down and St Mirren (and Hibs) both benefit.

After a decline in fortunes following his Ballon D’or in 2024 he returns to St Mirren as captain working under brother Stephen (manager) alongside assistants Ryan Flynn and Paul McGinn with of course Jamie Langfield as goalkeeper guru!

He then leads St Mirren to the SPFL title and Champions League glory!  

Stephen Robinson had so much success with St Mirren in season 2023/24 winning a league and cup double after a tremendous second half of the season that he became Barcelona manager and it was him who convinced his new club to purchase John after the Euros! 

The title was won on the last day of the season at Dens Park on goal difference from Celtic who lost to two late goals from former Saint Lawrence Shankland. 

St Mirren cuffed Dundee 5-0.

😂 😜 😝 

Aye, and my fiancé Maya Jama agreed to put our wedding off to the following Saturday so I could go to Dens. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes never really relied on pace so it maybe depends on if he loses his ability to turn quickly, cant see anything else about him that would decline with age

the best thing he could do for us (and Hibs, unfortunately) would be to hand in a transfer request to his current employers. 

The £50m that was being quoted a few seasons back when Man Utd were in for him won't ever happen, but even a fraction of that, with our % of whatever he would command now, would change the fortune of our club for a generation, if not forever. 

On 30/10/2023 at 19:39, Buttocks Brown said:

I thought this when watching Sportscene last night: the game at Rugby Park followed by the game at the SMISA.

There were only a few hundred more at our game but you could see banks of empty blue seats in Kilmarnock and the Aberdeen fans weren't even in shot. Away end aside, our ground looked pretty full with fans close to the action. No contest in terms of a football stadium experience.

(And that's without mentioning the visuals of the plastic pitch....)

The official attendance last Saturday was 5,500 but the atmosphere amongst the home support would have put bigger teams to shame. Nothing against St Johnstone, but they had a few hundred away fans at most in a stand which holds the best part of 1500, so 5,500 in attendance means the home end was about 80 percent full. Compare that to a Rugby Park or a McDiarmid when the stadium has 5,000 in attendance and you can hear the grass grow. There’s more empty seats than there is fans. 

When I first started getting taken to Saints games in the mid 90’s you could count on one hand how many games had more than 5,000 in attendance, now it’s a regular occurrence. It shouldn’t be taken for granted these days but it’s brilliant to see the stadium filled out no matter the fixture. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

The official attendance last Saturday was 5,500 but the atmosphere amongst the home support would have put bigger teams to shame. Nothing against St Johnstone, but they had a few hundred away fans at most in a stand which holds the best part of 1500, so 5,500 in attendance means the home end was about 80 percent full. Compare that to a Rugby Park or a McDiarmid when the stadium has 5,000 in attendance and you can hear the grass grow. There’s more empty seats than there is fans. 

When I first started getting taken to Saints games in the mid 90’s you could count on one hand how many games had more than 5,000 in attendance, now it’s a regular occurrence. It shouldn’t be taken for granted these days but it’s brilliant to see the stadium filled out no matter the fixture. 

301 was the number of St. Johnstone fans announced.

41 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

301 was the number of St. Johnstone fans announced.

Wasn’t getting at the St Johnstone fans who turned up, fair play to every one of them that made the trip to Paisley after the start they’ve had this season. Good to see that St Mirren now have a core support of around 5000 fans that are going to turn up week in week out though. I remember going to some of the games in the Championship under Ian Murray and you were lucky if there was 3000 there for a 3pm kick off on a Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Wasn’t getting at the St Johnstone fans who turned up, fair play to every one of them that made the trip to Paisley after the start they’ve had this season. Good to see that St Mirren now have a core support of around 5000 fans that are going to turn up week in week out though. I remember going to some of the games in the Championship under Ian Murray and you were lucky if there was 3000 there for a 3pm kick off on a Saturday. 

Yeah I was actually surprised when the crowd was announced that it was as low as it was. The Main and South Stands both looked reasonably full. Not sure what the West was like because I was in it, but to me it looked like at least a 6000 crowd. 

Am I alone in thinking that something isn’t right with regards to what’s going on with the refs in this country. 
Given what I’ve seen this season from that moron Nick Walsh while officiating in games involving us, he’s been a disgrace.

Yesterday confirmed his obvious bias toward the Govan tramps.

He along with Beaton Dickinson and one or two others need booted out immediately.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Am I alone in thinking that something isn’t right with regards to what’s going on with the refs in this country. 
Given what I’ve seen this season from that moron Nick Walsh while officiating in games involving us, he’s been a disgrace.

Yesterday confirmed his obvious bias toward the Govan tramps.

He along with Beaton Dickinson and one or two others need booted out immediately.

Do I think there is blatant cheating by referees in favour of the clubs they allegedly support?

In short, no. 

However, I do think there is

1) Gross incompetence

2) Blatant inconsistency

3) A tendency to be subconsciously swayed in favour of making decisions in favour of the bigger teams. 

Regardless of whether it’s blatant cheating or not, something is rotten in the state of Denmark and needs to be resolved pretty damn quickly, but we all know nothing will change. It never does. 

Kean Baccus and Ryan Strain in the Australian squad for WC2026 qualifiers v Bangladesh in Melbourne on Nov 16 and Palestine in Kuwait on Nov 21 

Alex Greive is in the NZ squad for games v Greece in Athens Nov 17 and Republic of Ireland in Dublin Nov 21

Edited by Eednud

Just like to highlight how important our substitutions have been by Robbo this season in securing some very positive results:

Cowdenbeath 0-1 - Olusanya 94min

Hibs  2-3 - Greive 89min

Aberdeen 2-2 Grieve 76min

Livingston 1-1 Nahmani 96min

Hibs 2-2 Jamieson 92mins