The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

44 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I would say that midfield looks strong enough especially going forward. If an enforcer is needed Gogic can move into midfield plenty cover in defence and the striker department. I see a Saints win here. 

Both CBM and Baccus have not been playing 90 minutes recently. 

Hope you are correct on the win though

31 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Got that spectacularly wrong.

And it knackered me for £163 on my coupon ☹️

Gambling is a bigger mugs game even than supporting St. Mirren. 

Woeful today. Taylor poorest he's been and on the break we were caught too often. Neither could we break them down - don't think we had 1 shot on target.

Suddenly being clear of the pack is not a given. Need to beat Livi and RC

19 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Some of the comments on social media are unbelievable 

3rd top of the league, first league defeat of the season by a non OF side, who are in the top 6

Squad ravaged by illness 

One roaster was comparing it to losing 4 goals to Alloa under Coughlin 😂

Social Media is a study in why the most vocal in society are often the least equipped to speak 🤦🏼‍♂️

Really bad day at the office but we had to have an off-day sometime.

However what got me the most was why were McMenamin / Kiltie then Greive / Jamieson playing so wide on the touchline? We have wingbacks for that job. That left one striker in the box all game with no support. Not saying playing the front three closer would have changed much today but that formation was never going to pressure any defence. Why change a winning formula?

Against Hibs we never got in behind them. Strain and McMenamin didnt click at all. From the outset today it was the same. There was no overlap or anyone making runs into channels. 

McMenamin is a puzzle. I just dont get him at all. There is a player in there but his touch is awful and he is looking more and more disinterested. Yes he can cross a ball but he is not taking on and beating players. 

He needs benched. 

We were getting in behind teams but that has stopped in recent weeks. 

Time to reset and get back to early season play. 

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

Against Hibs we never got in behind them. Strain and McMenamin didnt click at all. From the outset today it was the same. There was no overlap or anyone making runs into channels. 

McMenamin is a puzzle. I just dont get him at all. There is a player in there but his touch is awful and he is looking more and more disinterested. Yes he can cross a ball but he is not taking on and beating players. 

He needs benched. 

We were getting in behind teams but that has stopped in recent weeks. 

Time to reset and get back to early season play. 

McMenamin is a good player but he has been off it the last couple of games.

It would be interesting to see what players were affected by the sickness bug. Robbo has said that one of the players was throwing up at half time v Hibs, yet there were no sub made at that point. Even if players had supposedly recovered, illnesses like that can take it out of you, which maybe explains the sluggishness yesterday - our style is based on high intensity pressing from the front, which didnt happen yesterday, with the entire front line hooked at half time.

Personally, i think yesterday would have been the time for squad rotation and putting out a team that was 100% fit.

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Personally, i think yesterday would have been the time for squad rotation and putting out a team that was 100% fit.

That’s assuming we were in a position to field a team who were 100% fit. 

Swapping out the front 3 when 2-0 down at halftime seemed odd, unless they were amongst the most badly afflicted. 

Certainly a hard score to sallow I can't bring myself to watch the highlights either. There is a bug doing the rounds for sure it will affect players. One was puking his load a half time against Hibs. Sickness & diarrhea drains the body of salts and minerals you can't go running around a park the way you normally do. Players not showing sickness signs can still feel like shit. Robinson is not using the bug as an excuse but I will. This team has been brilliant. The bug kicked in on Wednesday to me it sounds like it's came from food speculation on my part.  Thankfully there is a International break giving us time to recoup. 

Outwith the old firm every team can beat each other. If you are not at it 100% you can easily be turned over. The first 35 minutes against St Johnstone could have seen us behind before we clicked into place. 

We lost poor goals yesterday. The first was a disaster for Taylor. Second goal we were unlucky when it hit Frasers arm. 3rd and 4th were breakaways when we over committed players up the park. 

We got done by our own poor play. 

It may turn out to be a good thing. It will remind players to get back to working hard and doing what we do best.  

Robinson is right in everything he said after the game. 

Lets beat Livi and get back on track

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Outwith the old firm every team can beat each other. If you are not at it 100% you can easily be turned over. The first 35 minutes against St Johnstone could have seen us behind before we clicked into place. 

We lost poor goals yesterday. The first was a disaster for Taylor. Second goal we were unlucky when it hit Frasers arm. 3rd and 4th were breakaways when we over committed players up the park. 

We got done by our own poor play. 

It may turn out to be a good thing. It will remind players to get back to working hard and doing what we do best.  

Robinson is right in everything he said after the game. 

Lets beat Livi and get back on track

Aye, that'll be a biggie, I'm sensing the love affair between Martindale and the Livi fans is no longer universal.

Pity we've got to wait a fortnight - fuck international football.