The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

35 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't get why people are determined to see this happen. You don't get it with any other position on the park. Nobody saw Kwon come in and went 'shit, he's over six foot, bet he could do a job at the back, or even better, up front.'

O'Carroll actually mocked this. He said they found it funny that just because Goga played in midfield for Hamilton, people kept banging on about him playing further up the pitch.

He's been our PotY at centre half and hasn't played in midfield all season. We've got class CMs, and an abundance of them (for now).

Alex Gogic is a centre half.

Why would we move a guy away from the position where he's made himself undisputed first choice and is about to sweep up at our POTY awards? 

Gogic himself has said this week that he always pushed back against playing centre half as he saw himself as a centre mid but has accepted now that he's very good there and that the management team deserve credit for seeing this when he maybe didn't.

Worth noting as well that this Gogic playing for Hibs, never gets released by them and is Hibs first choice centre half indefinitely.

Gogic playing holding mid with a lot of inconsistency for Hibs is what led to Hibs supporters thinking 'good riddance' when he came to us, his contract expired and he left.

Reading the World Soccer Euros preview they expect Anders Dreyer - a member of the cast of thousands that we had in the 2018/19 season - to be part of the Denmark squad. Nicolai Brock-Madsen curiously absent, with Hladky an outsider for the Czech squad.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed but we had the double whammy of hanging onto Ethan too long (another last 6 months of his contract sale so we basically sold him for what we'd get in tribunal, plus a sell on) and some of our supporters/management inexplicably not rating him. Remember if it hadn't been for covid scuppering the deal, Goodwin would have hounded him out to Barnsley permanently following his bizarre loan there.

I still remember shouts of folk asking for Cammy MacPherson to play ahead of him which, with no disrespect intended to Cammy, was such a downgrade it was unreal but some felt as MacPherson ran about covering every blade of grass that he was giving so much more, regardless of quality of performance.

I'd slightly disagree with the assessment of L1 not improving him that much though, there was a feeling when he left that he'd thrive more down there as you do get a lot more time on the ball in the lower leagues in England than the SPFL and I do get the impression that plays into Ethan's strengths.

I've still no doubt he's going to go onto a Sunderland, Burnley or a Middlesbrough and within 2 years, be a £10m player that has teams who are established in the top flight knocking on his agent's door.

Does each move generate a windfall for Saints ? 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

Does each move generate a windfall for Saints ? 

We will be due a development solidarity fee of (I think) 5% of every future transfer throughout his career, though it may be 4% and Lincoln may be due around 1% depending on the cut off for development age. Doesn't seem a lot but it scales up when you consider that a £10m move in a few years would kick £400-500k back in our direction.

Same with McGinn, McLean, Reid, Campbell, Morgan and any other players who were with us until 20/21. We will get varying percentages of any transfer fees they generate as development solidarity fees. 

This isn't inclusive of the sell-on we've agreed with Lincoln though (which has been described as 'chunky' so should be at least 20%)

If we're being honest, Gogic wouldn't get into our centre midfield right now. Who are we shifting to accommodate Gogic in the middle of the park? Nobody for me. He's a centre back and should not be moved from there. It's comfortably his best position.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We will be due a development solidarity fee of (I think) 5% of every future transfer throughout his career, though it may be 4% and Lincoln may be due around 1% depending on the cut off for development age. Doesn't seem a lot but it scales up when you consider that a £10m move in a few years would kick £400-500k back in our direction.

Same with McGinn, McLean, Reid, Campbell, Morgan and any other players who were with us until 20/21. We will get varying percentages of any transfer fees they generate as development solidarity fees. 

This isn't inclusive of the sell-on we've agreed with Lincoln though (which has been described as 'chunky' so should be at least 20%)

I think development compensation is up to 23rd birthday.

It's half of 1% upto a certain age then 1% for a total of 5%.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Worth noting as well that this Gogic playing for Hibs, never gets released by them and is Hibs first choice centre half indefinitely.

Gogic playing holding mid with a lot of inconsistency for Hibs is what led to Hibs supporters thinking 'good riddance' when he came to us, his contract expired and he left.

His national manager also fancies him at centre half too. I'm sure Robinson referenced this when he signed him up a couple of summers ago.

Edited by smellthepaw

Gogic is a central defender who is capable of playing in our midfield, should there be an injury crisis in the middle of the park, IMHO. Depending on the circumstances in a game, I reckon we could also throw him forward in a gorgeous Joe Shaughnessy styleee, if we were behind late on and needed to try something. Good guy to have on the books.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Gogic is a central defender who is capable of playing in our midfield, should there be an injury crisis in the middle of the park, IMHO. Depending on the circumstances in a game, I reckon we could also throw him forward in a gorgeous Joe Shaughnessy styleee, if we were behind late on and needed to try something. Good guy to have on the books.

There's a possibility however we strengthen at the back this summer, it may allow him to do that in the latter stages of games.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

😂

2 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I remember watching a HibsTV stream where the commentators were rubbing their hands at the prospect of Gogic lining up at centre half against them.

And I'd still sooner let them pick our team than some of the guys in here...

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I obviously loved our League Cup win in 2013 but Marc McAusland never got a turn up front and it really took the shine off it for me.

He did put in a brilliant cross from the right wing for Thommo's goal in the semi.

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I obviously loved our League Cup win in 2013 but Marc McAusland never got a turn up front and it really took the shine off it for me.

I mean, obviously, if we’re down 1-0 with 89 mins on the clock in a big game, would be worse ideas than to shove Gogic forward - he’s a natural finisher*

I call my plan the Emergency Cypriot Shaughnessy Plan. If it fails, we send Hemming up for a last gasp corner. 😎

*More of a natural finisher than some Smurrrn strikers I’ve seen down the years.

Posted (edited)

Good news, more stability and, well, fcuk me if St Mirren aren’t doing sensible things in an organised manner.

I need a lie down. 😁

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Delighted Elvis is staying. He will improve under Robbo and kick on next season

Robbo has offered improved deals to the Aussies too...

It may be a long shot but I doubt too many fans would hate it if either one or both stayed...

Cue the there is no way replies...