The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I suspect as fans we over estimate the draw of Europe (especially at our level) for players. It's very easy for us all to get super excited and carried away given a huge swathe of our support has never experienced it but as a player I'm not sure how "excited" they get at the opportunity ? If it was guaranteed group stage games then that might influence things but I suspect the prospect is way more enticing for us as fans than any prospective players who will be looking pretty much at the financial side as their main priority. 

Yeah, i agree with this. One thing i would say though is that our pulling power should now be slightly stronger with back to back top 6 finishes, showing that we can make a european spot. Various players have had call up to their countries, most making their debuts for their countries whilst playing for us and most notably Baccus playing at a World Cup.

Robbo has certainly taken us to the next level. Sustaining that is going to be tough. If we can unearth a player with goals in him then it will help. 

I like we are trying to sort the squad early. Before we know it we will have our european games to play. 

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I suspect as fans we over estimate the draw of Europe (especially at our level) for players. It's very easy for us all to get super excited and carried away given a huge swathe of our support has never experienced it but as a player I'm not sure how "excited" they get at the opportunity ? If it was guaranteed group stage games then that might influence things but I suspect the prospect is way more enticing for us as fans than any prospective players who will be looking pretty much at the financial side as their main priority. 

Ssssshhhh…don’t tell the Dons fans that.

Good to get someone in early. Can't say I know anything about him but a quick squint at his wikipedia page shows he's been on loan at a few English League 1 and League 2 teams, so he's played a reasonable number first team games at a good level.

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He looks a unit of a guy. Commanding and good at saving pens. Very happy with this signing. Pity its another loan. 

CEDC6F09-77A4-4E5E-B22E-F8DE31785D35.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

As someone said he looks a big unit. Brentford must see something in him as they gave him a 4 year deal last year.

4 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Checks calendar - yup, still May.

LOVE the way we conduct our business these days.

And our 2 PCA's must surely be announced soon ta boot.

Then the amazing goal scorer.

5 minutes ago, medals said:

And our 2 PCA's must surely be announced soon ta boot.

Then the amazing goal scorer.

Not sure if I'm being whooshed but I don't think there are 2 PCAs? Was one not Spittal who has obviously went to Hearts. 

Robbos interview today says he wished he hadn't said anything about that

1 minute ago, Stan Bo said:

Not sure if I'm being whooshed but I don't think there are 2 PCAs? Was one not Spittal who has obviously went to Hearts. 

Robbos interview today says he wished he hadn't said anything about that

I was not whoosing you. I don't know if SR made the claim before PCA's were in place or not. Stupid if he did, but we are all human.

There are folk on here who claim the 2 PCA's are in place though.

JB was also a likely possibility.  So I'm pretty sure as we have the needed RB and GK in quick another CB will arrive soon Along with a midfielder. 

Strikers usually take longer though

Know nothing about him but glad he has some first team experience rather than being thrown in at the deep end. Going by Wiki he seems to have had loan spells cut short by injury, hopefully that doesn't happen here!

Last year the need for a goalie got sprung upon Robinson at the end of the season, at least this time around we'll have known for quite a while they needed to get something in. Amused he says Hemming is going to fight for the number 2 shirt at Boro - not sure he'd be a good rightback.

2 minutes ago, medals said:

I was not whoosing you. I don't know if SR made the claim before PCA's were in place or not. Stupid if he did, but we are all human.

JB was also a likely possibility.  So I'm pretty sure as we have the needed RB and GK in quick another CB will arrive soon Along with a midfielder. 

PCA's can be "in place", but the player can take up other options, as Spittal obviously did.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, medals said:

We don’t have 2 PCA’s in place. We’ve got 1 - James Scott.

The other was likely Blair Spittal and Robinson alluded to that today in his interview by saying he shouldn’t get his hopes about saying deals have been agreed until it’s official.

Edited by SS77