The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

15 hours ago, yenrab said:

Who in their right mind would go to Spain / the med. in July these days and run about? They'll get burned alive!

A bit of acclimatisation just in case we get a European tie that requires us to play in 30 degrees heat.😉

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

A bit of acclimatisation just in case we get a European tie that requires us to play in 30 degrees heat.😉

Or is it to counter balance all the rain we will get during our game at Cappilow🤣

Edited by AW saint

On 12/06/2024 at 09:35, medals said:

They also could sell Youan for well over £1 million reportedly, but your point is valid.

Track record there is so poor.

Anyway what we gonna do with the Mandron and/or Sutherland dosh?

Absolutely no way we should be entertaining bids for Mandron if we don’t need the money. He’s brilliant and crucial to the way we play. I’d go as far as saying he’s the one player we can’t afford to lose from what remains at the club. Olusanya can do a very decent job as he showed at Parkhead but other than those 2 we’re struggling for decent options upfront. If Mandron were to leave we’d need 2 players in to replace.

3 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Absolutely no way we should be entertaining bids for Mandron if we don’t need the money. He’s brilliant and crucial to the way we play. I’d go as far as saying he’s the one player we can’t afford to lose.

I totally get where you are coming from. He could very well score into the teens for us next season and goals win points.

However, every player has a price their club will accept and if he leaves for nothing rather than £?????? Thats also in the thinking. So expect we'll offer him an extention if we havent already done so. 

I don't know how serious the speculation about him was.

For sure Foyle and SR will be looking for strikers and midfielders who can assist and score regularly. So spotting a guy with potential is the most likely and affordable route. 

Mandron is the best striker we've had in years.

Edited by medals

2 hours ago, medals said:

Mandron is the best striker we've had in years.

This! However with a year left, him approaching 30 and some bigger names than us linked a few months back, it would be likely we wouldn't or couldn't stand in his way. It's the old 'last chance for a big move' scenario.

I genuinely still get surprised when I hear folk who don't rate Mandron in our support. It's like they don't actually understand what makes someone a good centre forward at this level and why Mandron is very good at his job.

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I genuinely still get surprised when I hear folk who don't rate Mandron in our support. It's like they don't actually understand what makes someone a good centre forward at this level and why Mandron is very good at his job.

Some of our fans were too quick to judge him in his debut at Montrose. Okay, we lost, but I thought he showed some real potential in that game. Couldn’t say the same about big Dec though!

I don't know how serious the interest is in Mandron. However our model is to sign players make them better then sell on. 

If there is genuine interest then he will go. He cost us nothing.  All pure profit. 

Martin Foyle has the habit of unearthing gems and I am sure he will do so again. 

One player who is on a upward journey is Olusanya. 

I think he will be a massive player for us this season. 

Mandron looked like he was running through treacle in his first few games, but - as has been said - he had a very good season.

Best striker in years? Possibly, although second season Curtis Main was excellent. I'd take both Thompson and Higdon over both of them.

We picked Mandron up for free after he'd been hunted by Motherwell, if we get a few bob for him I'd be confident that Robinson could find a decent replacement. 

29 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Best striker in years? Possibly, although second season Curtis Main was excellent. I'd take both Thompson and Higdon over both of them. 

Peak Thommo was 10 years ago.

Higdon close to 15 now.

Mandron is the best top flight striker we've had since those two. Main was a good physical presence but Mandron is a better overall centre forward.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Peak Thommo was 10 years ago.

Higdon close to 15 now.

Mandron is the best top flight striker we've had since those two. Main was a good physical presence but Mandron is a better overall centre forward.

As was said , Main had a good second season with us, first season he was fucking gash , I agree that Mandron is a far better overall centre forward .

Edited by callum-g

Love that we're in position where Robinson has said we can now pick and choose who else is coming in over the course of the window instead of needing a full rebuild. 

I expect only two more from here (LCB and pacy forward). Three (another CM) at a pretty big push.

See if you end up with a midfield of Doyle-Hayes, Smyth, and Kiltie, I'll be very jealous.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

See if you end up with a midfield of Doyle-Hayes, Smyth, and Kiltie, I'll be very jealous.

Could you post Oisins graph @RandomGuy.

Seems like he's played all over the place last season so may skew his stats slightly 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where would O'Hara and CBM be then?