The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

13 hours ago, geo87 said:

As much as I don't think Sutton should be our first choice striker, I think folk are being slightly harsh on him. He was feeding off absolute shite for the first half of the season, and most of the time was playing up front on his own with balls being pumped long to him or for him to chase aimlessly down channel (clearly not his strong point). It's clear Ross likes to play with pace, and clearly Sutton does not have that attribute.

He is still however a very good option to have coming off the bench, and offers us something different should we need to go route one / direct

I do not like having a go at any player. I have kept my thoughts to myself all season about Sutton. But when I read rubbish that he is a 20 goal a season striker and we do not need anyone else then I have to present the facts of his poor scoring record. If we want to win the League we need someone who will score regularly and claw out points and that ain't Sutton. He was about 7th or 8th in our squad for his per league game scoring ratio when his main job was to score goals. Defenders and midfielders had far better ratios.

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

6 month is a strange one. Someone picked up and injury? 

It's probably more that we're unsure of his own injury record, I guess...

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Hes had two pretty bad injuries in the last few years while with Queens. Its possibly why Naysmith didnt offer him anything.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's probably more that we're unsure of his own injury record, I guess...

JRs looking to get Flannigan out on loan again so I would imagine it would be a 6 month loan for him ,  while Hilson gets the chance to prove himself !

47 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hilson certainly had a good game in the first meeting in Paisley last season. 

He was great at queens the first part of the season , the only one who could carry the ball out if midfielders.

I think he was rushed Back from injury in a desperate attempt from the manager to win a game.

He will do a good job for St mirren

13 minutes ago, Besty said:

He was great at queens the first part of the season , the only one who could carry the ball out if midfielders.

I think he was rushed Back from injury in a desperate attempt from the manager to win a game.

He will do a good job for St mirren

What game was this then?

1 minute ago, Hawk said:

Could do well IF he's over his injuries. Small strike force for you this season though if Sutton doesn't play.

Ross Stewart is 6ft 4. 

Plus, i still reckon we'll be looking for an out and out centre forward. Hilson is primarily a winger. 

31 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

Its admirable that Jack Ross is taking so many punts on players ,i am just hoping that sooner rather than later they will be joined by two or three players

of proven ability to replace those that we have lost/will be losing/wont be returning.As things stand you can forget the playoffs

I don't disagree with that actually. I've looked at quite a few of your signings (the two Stewarts, Hilson and Reilly) and thought I wouldn't be averse to seeing them in a Sons top next season. However we should be aiming for very different things, and quite a few of them look to be gambles. In fact only really Smith (on paper at least) looks like the sort signing you can be 100% sure will have a positive impact.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I don't disagree with that actually. I've looked at quite a few of your signings (the two Stewarts, Hilson and Reilly) and thought I wouldn't be averse to seeing them in a Sons top next season. However we should be aiming for very different things, and quite a few of them look to be gambles. In fact only really Smith (on paper at least) looks like the sort signing you can be 100% sure will have a positive impact.

Won't disagree with you however I reckon our keeper situation has improved (Samson in for O'Brien). Our defence could be considered to have improved with Buchanan coming in for young Baird. We have lost Mallan but the other 3 in midfield are the same. However Magennis - the next exciting talent from the midfield production line - will take on Mallan's role with Flanagan or Hilson or Todd out wide. And Smith up front with hopefully 1 other good striker to come in.

The players JR has signed all have potential and I reckon cannot be worse than the others that made up the squad last season (Fjelde, Storrie, Hutton, Clarkson, Webster etc). The players JR has brought in are all young and hungry to succeed - whether they make the grade is unknown. We certainly need a good striker but besides that the squad is shaping up with a far better balance than last year's.

Forgot about Reilly! Was shit at Dunfermline but a sensation at QoS so who knows what he will be like for us.

Edited by NorthBank

2 minutes ago, Bailey1874 said:

Is there a chance that you spent a considerable amount of this seasons budget on January signings in order to stay up?

No. We spent pretty much he-haw in January. 10 players out and 10 in. Two players sold (Naismith and McAllister) but most of that money was untouched. Just good housekeeping in Jan.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

No. We spent pretty much he-haw in January. 10 players out and 10 in. Two players sold (Naismith and McAllister) but most of that money was untouched. Just good housekeeping in Jan.

Fair enough, although was there not rumours of bonus payments made to some January signings if you stayed up?

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

Of that 10 out you would've paid off their contracts, so it's not exactly paying "hee-haw". I don't for one second think the money spent in January is enough to hamper your budget this year considering you've sold a couple of players for good money but as much as "St Mirren spent a barrel load of money in January" is wide of the mark, so is "St Mirren spent hee-haw in January".