The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

57 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Your reply only confirms to me that you realise you are trying to point score over 60,000 Covid deaths which is pretty dreadful. We should move on.

What are you talking about? You are 100% in the wrong here. Let it lie.

42 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Are you genuinely struggling to understand it?

My head is literally spinning trying to figure it all out.

Just had a quick scan of the tribunal document - it does sound like we have been an absolute shambles with some serious basic errors. If pubs, schools, shops etc can implement these than it is absolutely unforgivable that we have been so lax in our implementation of such basic standards. (Never mind the ones expected or a professional club)

Who is actually running the club day to day? I’m genuinely confused at the moment. Is it Scott? I don’t think it’s Fitzpatrick, I really can’t imagine him taking on the full responsibility of the role and believe he is CEO in name. Is it kibble? Radio silence from SMISA too. Now I am not one that demands a statement every 2
Mins, but they are meant to represent us and it has been a clusterfuck of a week, both having financial implications which 1100 odd fans are paying into (I’ve simplified this somewhat but hope you get my gist)

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed.

In terms of the disciplinary process, we shot ourselves in the foot the moment we got pulled and THEN hired people to resolve the issue. 

I mean, if there was no issue there and we were just unlucky, why hire people to fix it? Had we refuted any of the charges, it would rightly have been the first thing asked by the disciplinary committee. 

I called that spectacularly wrongly: I was convinced we'd appointed them on a quiet word from the SPFL in order to facilitate the sweeping under the carpet of the whole thing.

Can't stress enough that I basically believe this is a fair cop, but that doesn't change how shocked I am that they've actually handed out the points forfeits.

Mixed feelings on this, as a fan I am bloody annoyed as it does seem the application of the rules is vague at best but I am mostly pissed with St Mirren.
We have a lovable old uncle as our Chief Exec who is so out his depth it is mental, a Chairman who was Mr Update under JR when we were winning but who disappeared as things went to shit under Stubbs, raised from the dead as things improved under OK then away again only to briefly appear for JG and is currently MIA.

The club is a shit show right now and this is just another example. 

21 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Tony is the CEO and responsible for day to day management and now has some explaining to do. Why were we so inept?

I like Tony's enthusiasm and his ambition, but with all due respect I'm not sure he's in the right role. 

As for the club, we're in a period of transition. Let's hope that once the dust settles we will get our act together. We've cocked up, and been punished very, very harshly for it. Let's hope the club can learn from this and move on. This has been a rubbish week, and I'm expecting a gubbing on Saturday now to round it off - doesn't bad luck come in threes?

7 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Tony is the CEO and responsible for day to day management and now has some explaining to do. Why were we so inept?

I've been saying it for a long time. Fitzy, I love his enthusiasm and passion. He's also really top notch guy but a good person does not excuse being in a role that is way too much for you. 

He should always have a role at St. Mirren, be that as a club ambassador, trying to get more community initiatives started or whatever but the CEO role is far too big an undertaking for him in my opinion and always has been. That is the role of a businessman and a qualified one at that. Fitzy is neither. 

Brian Caldwell, our previous CEO did a tremendous job and had the club running extremely well. It's not a coincidence that his tenure coincided with the most settled and stable period most of us have ever seen as St. Mirren supporters. 

Fitzy, good a guy as he is, appears to be chaotic. Most folk can take the daft top 4 shouts and even lean into it for a laugh. He raises a lot of eyebrows as well during transfer windows where most of us wonder if he knows WTF he's doing. 

However, like Caldwell bringing stability, I also don't believe it's coincidence that we've been, to be very kind, a wee bit of a shitshow since Fitzy's arrival. 

Edited by djchapsticks

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Honestly, if it happens and goes down that way, then I reckon more Saints fans will be looking inward at folk within the club for answers and explanations than outwards for a scapegoat.

End of the day, we still have 24 games left and despite conceding 6 goals today, still haven't dropped to the bottom of the league, so nothing is lost. We had the 3rd best defensive record in the league before Covid banged 6 in against us today ;) despite a fuckload of upheaval in those defensive positions with a lot of chopping and changing.

I'd like to think that meanness at the back won't change....we'll still hopefully hold together defensively but we need to become savvy up top - if we do, we'll not be involved for too long. 

I think those in charge of my club have had an easier time than they should be getting because of the season ending.   Thankfully fans are beginning to as the right questions.   You're right about looking for scapegoats when we should be looking inwards.   What happened in the summer was unfair but only ourselves to blame for being in that position in the first place.