Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

With Strain out, we no longer have the players to effectively play 3-4-3. I'd go to 4-3-3, something like 

Hemming; 

Fraser, Bolton, Taylor, Tanser;

O'Hara, Gogic, Baccus;

Mcmenamin, Ayunga, Kiltie.

Gogic is a last resort in centre mid for me, he’s a headless chicken in there and far better at centre back where his pace really helps out the back line.

Boyd-Munce played really well yesterday and reminded me of Erhahon at times. I’d be happy to see him play just behind O’Hara and Baccus in a 3-5-2 in the next couple of games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leaving all the doom and gloom around a poor run of results, and falling down to 4th in the league, one very bright spot for me has been Ayunga's return.

I was worried he may not be as good as he was - either as a result of injury, or suffering from the longer-they're-out-better-they-get syndrome.

I think though he really IS going to be like a new (and good!) signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Leaving all the doom and gloom around a poor run of results, and falling down to 4th in the league, one very bright spot for me has been Ayunga's return.

I was worried he may not be as good as he was - either as a result of injury, or suffering from the longer-they're-out-better-they-get syndrome.

I think though he really IS going to be like a new (and good!) signing.

Agreed. I'd also forgotten just how quick he is. With him we get pace with ability to compliment Olusanya's pace with nuisance value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agreed. I'd also forgotten just how quick he is. With him we get pace with ability to compliment Olusanya's pace with nuisance value.

Yet what we need most is goals for and few against.

So room for improvement all over to help us kick on. 

Glad Ayunga is back though for sure

Edited by medals
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Ayunga is far better than all our other strikers, and he is looking better with every game he had played since he came back. 

Just need to find the best partner to play with him up front. 

I think its a  big stretch to say he's far better. From what i've seen, all our strikers bring different qualities but all lack consistency, which is why they play with us. Mandron is better than expected, Grieve works hard but lacks composure, Nahmani looks to have goals in him but hasnt featured much so there must be a reason for that, Olusanya started the season great and has fallen away, Jamieson i think has a future in the game but probably at a lower level.

Ayunga is the best at making space and getting a shot away, but his goal return last season was only 3 in 19, Mandron has the same this season in much fewer games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think its a  big stretch to say he's far better. From what i've seen, all our strikers bring different qualities but all lack consistency, which is why they play with us. Mandron is better than expected, Grieve works hard but lacks composure, Nahmani looks to have goals in him but hasnt featured much so there must be a reason for that, Olusanya started the season great and has fallen away, Jamieson i think has a future in the game but probably at a lower level.

Ayunga is the best at making space and getting a shot away, but his goal return last season was only 3 in 19, Mandron has the same this season in much fewer games.

I agree. Ayunga creates a bit of havoc and will force errors and win balls, guys like Mandron, Greive and Namani are more likely to score off him though.

The other 2 mentioned are not likely to score or create that many at this level unless they improve magically.

Greive was far better when Jonah was playing too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think its a  big stretch to say he's far better. From what i've seen, all our strikers bring different qualities but all lack consistency, which is why they play with us. Mandron is better than expected, Grieve works hard but lacks composure, Nahmani looks to have goals in him but hasnt featured much so there must be a reason for that, Olusanya started the season great and has fallen away, Jamieson i think has a future in the game but probably at a lower level.

Ayunga is the best at making space and getting a shot away, but his goal return last season was only 3 in 19, Mandron has the same this season in much fewer games.

Has Mandron goals not been mainly against lower league clubs in the cup ?

I still feel Ayunga is a far better player all round, but would be happy to be proved wrong by the other strikers, starting tomorrow night. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tam the bud said:

Has Mandron goals not been mainly against lower league clubs in the cup ?

I still feel Ayunga is a far better player all round, but would be happy to be proved wrong by the other strikers, starting tomorrow night. 

 

He's got one v Dundee and two v St Johnstone in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/12/2023 at 20:59, Hendo said:

With Strain out, we no longer have the players to effectively play 3-4-3. I'd go to 4-3-3, something like 

Hemming; 

Fraser, Bolton, Taylor, Tanser;

O'Hara, Gogic, Baccus;

Mcmenamin, Ayunga, Kiltie.

He could use Fraser at RWB, he’s always been a RB until recently so he goes there and Bolton comes in, or small plays rwb, wouldn’t go ripping everything up just cause strain is out, whatever he does we need a turnaround quickly.

Sunday I actually felt we at least tried playing a bit which is more than we’ve done recently 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AussieBud said:

He could use Fraser at RWB, he’s always been a RB until recently so he goes there and Bolton comes in, or small plays rwb, wouldn’t go ripping everything up just cause strain is out, whatever he does we need a turnaround quickly.

Sunday I actually felt we at least tried playing a bit which is more than we’ve done recently 

Fraser at RWB is an accident waiting to happen IMO. He's solid enough as a right sided centre back so definitely don't fancy shifting him out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

If either Bolton or Small don’t start tonight then what is the point in them even being part of our squad??

Biggest problem for either of them is they have had very few minutes in the team - i.e. match fitness.

Personally I'd go with Small. 

He needs to be told to avoid daft bookings or red cards though.

Tough match tonight, it will be a battle. Good start and finish required without having a bad middle too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

If either Bolton or Small don’t start tonight then what is the point in them even being part of our squad??

Wouldn't be surprised to see one or both leave in January. Particularly Small as he's on loan, I can't imagine Southampton will be too happy that he's hardly kicked a ball.

Small has been unlucky as Tanser has been in good form, had it been Tanser rather than Strain who got injured I'm sure Small would've played more games.

Bolton is a bit of mystery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...