"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

10 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

A prospective League One player receives similar offers from Kelty and Caley (the Kelty offer having been boosted with money given to them by ICT). Does he pick the one that plays their 'home' games 2.5hrs away?

Also boosted by the fact they could have a good wage away from football.. 

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier or it may have changed but I thought it was Fife council who owned keltys ground.

I know they used to. 

Anybody could book it for a game with their mates.

Scottish football never fails to amaze me but this decision is definitely in the top 10 of  a board not having a fuvking clue.

Hopefully the Caley thistle fans are listened to and the general laugh out loud from everybody else forces a rethink.

If it was the other way around and Dunfermline moved their training to Inverness I would be raging and questioning the decision makers rationale.

I think from the outside you can see the logic of the move, but for a Full-Time club with players already based in Inverness it really doesn't work. 

The decision to pick Kelty is wild for several reasons, Kelty are your direct league rival next season, it's also a bit of a hassle to get to, it's a bit away from the Motorway. It's also an astroturf surface, which your manager has been on public record lambasting. If ICT picked some place near Perth, I think that would be much more palatable to everyone involved.

It's a shame to see Caley Thistle in the position they're in, and to be bluntly honest, it seems to be almost completely down to Scot Gardiner - who seems to be completely incompetent at running a professional football club, but thinks he's quite good at it. 

League One looks particularly poor next season, with just yourselves and a poor Queen of the South side as the sole FT clubs, so it really should be an easy division for Inverness to win - but you just can't see it working.

9 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

League One looks particularly poor next season, with just yourselves and a poor Queen of the South side as the sole FT clubs, so it really should be an easy division for Inverness to win - but you just can't see it working.

Cove are full time (at least mostly. They have a handful of hybrid part timers such as Fyvie and Megginson in the mix).

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Where did you read that the players would be bussed up and put in a hotel on a match day? It is all just starting to sound like a bit of a fkn farce. 

Tbh the remote training things not what I find mental. Just the fact they’ve chosen to pick Kelty and pay them for it, another league club and direct competitor (I get that when the talks started they probably didn’t think it was a possibility)

I have said I don’t give two fucks about Arbroath training at the Oriam but if Spartans were in L1 with us or whatever and we were paying them a figure to use their facilities it wouldn’t sit right with me. Just seems so fkn stupid. 

Just on here... the point is, however they organise it, they're effectively turning home games into (distant) away games for all or a vast majority of their players.

If they were talking about e.g. Perth, you could just about see the logic (although I still think that would be the wrong decision). But what they're proposing is a million miles away from what you guys or QoS do.

Cherry on the cake is their description of it as 'innovative' and 'creative'... strange ways to spell batshit fkn crazy...

5 minutes ago, Cappiecat1.2 said:

How much will they save by running two separate organisations in different parts of the country? Or is the franchise looking for pastures new?

Franchise.  

Mods, please. 

6 minutes ago, Cappiecat1.2 said:

How much will they save by running two separate organisations in different parts of the country? Or is the franchise looking for pastures new?

I was thinking about that. I don't  believe the cost of training in Inverness is more than the costs to relocate in Kelty. It must be primarily,   about recruitment and retention of players. 

I know that has been a difficulty, but is Kelty an easier sell?

From what I've heard now it was going to be essential to find somewhere more central for you guys to remain full time cost wise apparently and attract central belt players , Glasgow 45 mins away , Edinburgh 25mins away , Perth 25mins away , Dundee 45mins, Stirling 35mins  away so pretty good location to be fair and obviously this was all getting discussed before relegation , could be worse could've been Cowdenbeath 😂😂

1 hour ago, Ray Patterson said:

Bit early to be ruling us out. We've only got 6 players signed. 

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was thinking about that. I don't  believe the cost of training in Inverness is more than the costs to relocate in Kelty. It must be primarily,   about recruitment and retention of players. 

I know that has been a difficulty, but is Kelty an easier sell?

I bet you're wishing Bonny made a wee training base behind they goals instead of they houses. Would've been a great location, plenty of cheap accommodation for the English kids to learn a bit of Scottish culture too! 

3 hours ago, CALEDONIAN108 said:

^^^^^
Actual tears brilliant 😂

Sandy Cromarty and Sophia crying into their conflakes this morning turning the milk sour. 

I thought that was, for once, a pretty good post you're responding to. All football clubs should represent their community to some degree at this level, which is why Inverness fans should rightly be furious about this decision. 

They should also have seen it coming quite some time ago though. 

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

ICT always seem to produce some decent young players. Dropping to league 1 was an opportunity to give more of them a chance and keep older heads like McKay, Rodgers. 

I can't speak for Inverness fans but if it was St Mirren I'd be content for 2 or 3 seasons bleeding young players in league one and rebuilding a bit of identity.

Inverness CT can't even remotely afford to sit in League One for 2-3 seasons under their current 'business model'. Either this desperate gamble pays off in Year 1 and their battery scheme stabilises their setup, or there'll have to be a reckoning with reality before any sane reset takes place.

When even Queen of the South are still holding onto the delusion of full-time Championship status you know that the groupthink remains as strong as ever. Just show more ambishun, throw more money at players, climb the table and all problems are magically solved. 

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I bet you're wishing Bonny made a wee training base behind they goals instead of they houses. Would've been a great location, plenty of cheap accommodation for the English kids to learn a bit of Scottish culture too! 

Could still use half the park for that and have a separate pitch for the Bonny. Probably a few more bungalows for the influx of talent that would follow.

Posted (edited)

Utterly mental decision by ICT to move down to Fife to attract central belt mercenary’s which hasn’t really worked for Berwick, Brechin, Stranraer or Queen of the South who have all dropped over the last few years. Attracting players to move up to Inverness must surely be easier than trying to piss in the same pool as Raith, Pars, Falkirk, Livingston and Airdrie.  I don’t see what ICT could offer over those teams as an incentive unless it’s higher wages and you’ll now not really be attractive to any Highland based players. I appreciate there’s a bigger pool of players in the central belt but there also a lot of clubs for them to choose from. Not a fan of a club training miles from their home area is it really a local team anymore, do the players have the same connection with the town. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

To give this relocation some context in terms of distance and travel time, it's the same as Rovers or Dunfermline moving their training base to Newcastle and justifying it by saying it'll help them attract players based in the north east of England.