The DUP

Blootoon87

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Similarly, what I've never understood is how Ian Paisley managed to be the head of a church, the head of a political party, an MP, MEP and MLA - all at the same time? What if they had an important debate in all three parliaments at the same time 

"I have in my hand a note from Ian which reads as follows.  Sorry, I am unable to attend the debate as I have already made commitments elsewhere.  I have no idea what the debate is about but have no fear.  That is of little importance.  My response is simply No, Never.  Good luck with your debate.  God bless you all and God bless Ulster.  Ian"

That note got used a lot. 

12 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Saw on the news the DUP shouting out sectarian slogans "the Future's Bright" says Arlene, "the future's Orange" some arsehole behind her.

Just sickening.

If that did happen you'll find a lot of people would just laugh at it.

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Similarly, what I've never understood is how Ian Paisley managed to be the head of a church, the head of a political party, an MP, MEP and MLA - all at the same time? What if they had an important debate in all three parliaments at the same time 

At Westminster MP's on opposing sides can pair off with each other on most votes allowing them not to be there.

Just now, btb said:

At Westminster MP's on opposing sides can pair off with each other on most votes allowing them not to be there.

Aye, and I'm sure they can do likewise in Europe and in the NIA. Just seems to be a bit farcical. 

Also forgot that he was First Minister of NI as well. 6 jobs at once. He must have been coining it in, especially since he wouldn't be blowing his wage packet on fast women or slow horses. 

9 minutes ago, btb said:

7 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Aye, and I'm sure they can do likewise in Europe and in the NIA. Just seems to be a bit farcical. 

Also forgot that he was First Minister of NI as well. 6 jobs at once. He must have been coining it in, especially since he wouldn't be blowing his wage packet on fast women or slow horses. 

If Corbyn, the SNP and the Lib Dems refused to continue with pairing, at least in the short term, it could seriously f**k up this minority government.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Corbyn, the SNP and the Lib Dems refused to continue with pairing, at least in the short term, it could seriously f**k up this minority government.

Doesn't happen in important votes (reckon that'd include the Queen's Speech) and certainly not in Confidence motions - I can remember back to the Callaghan govt. where they were considering bringing one MP in off his death bed, in fact checking this up it seems that he only had to make it to Westminster not even to the voting lobby. 

Broughton himself was prepared, indeed determined, to do what he regarded as his duty - even though he had been warned that he might not survive the journey. So it was necessary to discuss what would happen if he was dead on arrival. Someone remembered that, by convention, nobody dies in the Palace of Westminster. Once he had arrived safely in Speaker's Court, his vote was secure.

In the end though he did not make the journey and Labour lost the vote.

Edited by btb

I remember reading about when John Hume and Ian Paisley were both MEPs.  John Hume could not be bothered with Paisley's rants (i.e. whenever he spoke) but fortunately he understood French so he put on his headphones and listened to the French translation instead.

32 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

DCSp2aNXUAAN9Th.jpg

The UDA just shot someone called Colin in a "sectarian shooting" in Bangor. Aye, OK if you say so. Having to run into paramilitary scumbags of various descriptions from time to time (wasn't it Dee Stitt rather than Jackie McDonald based on the pictures that were plastered all over twitter?) kind of goes with the territory for NI politicians. Has it even been proven that the UDA ordered this shooting or was it a petty squabble over the proceeds of crime related to recreational pharmaceuticals? Time will tell I guess.

3 hours ago, btb said:

Doesn't happen in important votes (reckon that'd include the Queen's Speech) and certainly not in Confidence motions - I can remember back to the Callaghan govt. where they were considering bringing one MP in off his death bed, in fact checking this up it seems that he only had to make it to Westminster not even to the voting lobby. 

Yeah I know it doesn't happen in important votes but it is a process that allows things to run smoothly to the benefit of all sides.  Withdrawing from it whilst May has no majority would make it far more difficult for all MPs but would be most difficult for the Tories particularly when they have to bring forward lots of individual pieces of legislation relating to Brexit.

Probably too many lazy opposition MPs to make it work.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The UDA just shot someone called Colin in a "sectarian shooting" in Bangor. Aye, OK if you say so. Having to run into paramilitary scumbags of various descriptions from time to time (wasn't it Dee Stitt rather than Jackie McDonald based on the pictures that were plastered all over twitter?) kind of goes with the territory for NI politicians. Has it even been proven that the UDA ordered this shooting or was it a petty squabble over the proceeds of crime related to recreational pharmaceuticals? Time will tell I guess.

You're awfy defensive, Why? They have god on their side.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/29/man-shot-in-front-of-son-in-northern-ireland-victim-of-uda-internal-feud-colin-horner

This though... :lol:

Edited by Crùbag

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Defensive about what? All I am doing is pointing out that you are posting complete drivel. There are lots of legitimate reasons to attack the DUP and/or the UDA without making stuff up.

Reasons include killing people.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/29/man-shot-in-front-of-son-in-northern-ireland-victim-of-uda-internal-feud-colin-horner

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah I know it doesn't happen in important votes but it is a process that allows things to run smoothly to the benefit of all sides.  Withdrawing from it whilst May has no majority would make it far more difficult for all MPs but would be most difficult for the Tories particularly when they have to bring forward lots of individual pieces of legislation relating to Brexit.

Probably too many lazy opposition MPs to make it work.

I agree with what you are saying but I don't think it is laziness.  I think there are a quite a few MPs who are being dishonest about their real attitude to Brexit.