The DUP

Blootoon87

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So now it's an internal feud rather than a "sectarian shooting" of a dude called Colin in Bangor. Guess The Guardian story can be taken somewhat seriously, if they can keep that part credible.

Used to be a couple of great wee bookshops in Bangor.

9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I hear the deal is done, will be announced tomorrow and hard brexit (leave single market and customs union still on cards)

No obvious way to have a soft border with the RoI if that last bit is accurate, but EEA status would rip the Conservative party apart, so there was also no obvious compromise on staying in the single market and customs union either. Latest I've seen is another delay possibly into next week due to the tower block fire in London.

Hard Brexit it is then apparently:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-15/dup-backs-theresa-mays-vision-of-brexit-not-philip-hammonds/

I suspect all the DUPes ultimately care about in all of this given the existential threat to Ulster Unionism that was involved is what happens at Larne post-Brexit as someone else (i.e. RoI/EU) can always take the blame for customs checks emerging on the RoI border. The future's Scheidt, the future is economic meltdown, but nothing short of EEA was going to avert that and that would be very difficult for the Tories to achieve given the numbers involved and how few backbenchers going over to UKIP it would take to unravel their majority when the DUP are factored in. We now need Ruth Davidson and co to pull the rug out from under this and insist on a soft Brexit but fat chance of that.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

So a crippling, hard Brexit will be forced on Britain because the Tories are owned by 10 vile Irishmen who want the return of glory days of the 1600s when they could kill Catholics?

^^^Thinks the Williamite revolution was Irish.

Bizarre stuff like a lot of what gets posted in this particular subforum. If the pro-Remain wing of the Tories (Ruth Davidson included after what she said on the weekend) see the national interest as being more important than what's best in the short term for their party, then a hard Brexit won't happen. Not holding my breath on that.

13 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

^^^Thinks the Williamite revolution was Irish.

I am aware that the political and religious history/ present of Ireland is a quagmire of contradictions but the Orange Order are Irish though, no?

Anyway, it looks as if the May's pals are now adoptign ISIS-style terror attacks. Not cool.

An Orangeman who "ploughed" into a crowd in north Belfast, trapping a teenage girl under his car, has been found guilty of injuring six people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40286410

13 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I reckon post announcement tomorrow there could be some bother in NI. If so, May is seriously to blame

No, the people causing the bother are to blame, (and I don't give an airborne intercourse what side they are from -  a scumbag is a scumbag).

22 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

I am aware that the political and religious history/ present of Ireland is a quagmire of contradictions but the Orange Order are Irish though, no?

Anyway, it looks as if the May's pals are now adoptign ISIS-style terror attacks. Not cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40286410

...and on and on he drones with over the top exagerations. All you have to do to link the DUP to the UDA in a fairly convincing if not fully direct way is to explore the background of their candidate in Belfast West but why stick to something as boring as the facts when you can post absurd photoshop images and compare the LOL to ISIS.