Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

It is rather puzzling as to why BSC appear to be driving this, but welcome all the same. I don't think there would be too much difficulty in finding 12-14 clubs to get this off the ground. Who out of the big West clubs would want to be left behind. Once it gets off the ground there's no going back.

1 hour ago, RobM said:

Great game at Hurlford today, EoS or LL games don't really carry the atmosphere that accompanied it.

Junior football doesn't have to make any excuses for itself.

If there was an integrated system then Hurlford (and other junior teams) would be making just as much atmosphere as before.  

There is nothing unique to the junior label that creates the atmosphere.  The clubs make it and would continue to make it regardless of what organisation is running their leagues.

The EoS, LL (or a WoS if created) would then create more atmosphere with the bigger junior clubs joining.  The problem for the EoS and LL is the lack of clubs with bigger fanbases (in non-league terms) and that problem would be solved in an integrated system.   The lack of those clubs is the problem not the distinction between senior and junior.

Edited by stanley

I dont think the ‘big’ clubs will be overly interested, they had the chance to go for the LL and didn’t. Wonder where the SJFA will get the clubs to fill their league if 9/10 junior clubs leave!

Times have changed from 5 years ago. People aren't stupid they can see the future of Junior football carrying on as is just isn't an option so do you jump now, or wait and potentially be left behind. A dilemma without a doubt.

4 minutes ago, Goalie Hamish said:

It is rather puzzling as to why BSC appear to be driving this, but welcome all the same. I don't think there would be too much difficulty in finding 12-14 clubs to get this off the ground. Who out of the big West clubs would want to be left behind. Once it gets off the ground there's no going back.

Utter wishful thinking, but it'd be the first step in splitting the Lowland League West/East. In which case they might see this as a way to provide a better long term circumstance for themselves.

BSC are doing well right now but in the future they could potentially find themselves relegated from the Lowland League and it would surely be very undesirable for them to have to drop down to the South of Scotland League and play Dumfries & Galloway teams each week.  Perhaps they could get into the East of Scotland League but, so far, it seems unclear about how it would work for a west team being relegated.  Would they have to go to the SoS or would they get be able to get into the EoS if the EoS approved it?  A bit of a mess which so far hasn't been answered as only Threave (voluntarily stepped down) and Preston (obviously EoS) have gone down.

5 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

I suppose we’d need to wait and see who’d be accepted, I presume as Girvan and Glasgow Uni are licensed they would be a given, just wonder if the likes of Talbot would want to apply, apparently there have been around 6 positive responses.

Would Girvan be interested in joining?   They only have the licence because they used to be in the South of Scotland and were SFA members.  I don't think that gives any real indication of if they'd want to join or not.  They obviously just wanted to retain the benefits that come with being licensed.

Glasgow Uni seem more likely (although I still think it's a farce that they play in Airdrie now).

Edited by stanley

I suppose we’d need to wait and see who’d be accepted, I presume as Girvan and Glasgow Uni are licensed they would be a given, just wonder if the likes of Talbot would want to apply, apparently there have been around 6 positive responses.

Not sure Glasgow Uni would be interested, they just seem to want a licence for Scottish Cup entry.

I wonder if Bonnyton would move from SoS.

Does anyone have the content of the info circulated to clubs?

20 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

I dont think the ‘big’ clubs will be overly interested, they had the chance to go for the LL and didn’t. Wonder where the SJFA will get the clubs to fill their league if 9/10 junior clubs leave!

9/10 Clubs won`t be leaving anytime soon, and Clydebank will still be playing Junior for the foreseeable future. Have you found that line dancing class for a Saturday yet ???

2 hours ago, RobM said:

Great game at Hurlford today, EoS or LL games don't really carry the atmosphere that accompanied it.

Junior football doesn't have to make any excuses for itself.

...apart from the fact that because of this tie and the general ongoing fixtures shambles, 6th January 2018 will be Musselburgh's first home game in 8 weeks.

A 10 month season and 2 of them have disappeared with no matchday income. If they earned enough with their share of the gate today to pay the bus driver they'll have done well. 

Sure, it's all about the football and the crowd and everyone agrees the Junior cup is special - but was that defeat today really worth the wait when you add in the cost of their suspensions and fines...?

Edited by Che Dail

58 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Want to put a bet on it? Like I told you the other day, your source is shite. I’m beginning to suspect you may be Mr Johnston.

You can`t even get it right for your own club far less another 9/10.... The only shite I smellllll is coming from you. The other Clydebank fans on here have been fairly straight and to the point. Any move would need to be proposed, voted on and passed by your club members/board and to date there hasn`t even been a formal discussion on the subject. Is that discussion taking place anytime soon?  Junior clubs are not going to jump on the first half assed scheme that gets shoved under their noses. A new league with no constitution,management structure etc and not recognised/affiliated by the games governing body.....sounds magic where do we sign...

6 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

You can`t even get it right for your own club far less another 9/10.... The only shite I smellllll is coming from you. The other Clydebank fans on here have been fairly straight and to the point. Any move would need to be proposed, voted on and passed by your club members/board and to date there hasn`t even been a formal discussion on the subject. Is that discussion taking place anytime soon?  Junior clubs are not going to jump on the first half assed scheme that gets shoved under their noses. A new league with no constitution,management structure etc and not recognised/affiliated by the games governing body.....sounds magic where do we sign...

I offered to take that bet months ago.

Still waiting for a reply.

Of course that was under his other name.....

Edited by KarlMarx

I’ll attempt to put a bit of meat on the bone here. I have spoken to someone connected with the instigators of this plan at BSC.

BSC have recently applied to the SJFA to enter a junior team, this was rejected by Tom Johnston with no real reason given. To be clear, this application was not as a replacement for their LL team, but was going to run along side it.

Tom Johnston also blocked their LL team from playing at Petershill, as BSC would require primacy of fixtures. Given that their fixtures are published for the full season there shouldn’t have been an issue?

In my own opinion this new plan seems like a get it up you to TJ, who I believe is less than enamoured with the whole thing.

10 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

I’ll attempt to put a bit of meat on the bone here. I have spoken to someone connected with the instigators of this plan at BSC.

BSC have recently applied to the SJFA to enter a junior team, this was rejected by Tom Johnston with no real reason given. To be clear, this application was not as a replacement for their LL team, but was going to run along side it.

Tom Johnston also blocked their LL team from playing at Petershill, as BSC would require primacy of fixtures. Given that their fixtures are published for the full season there shouldn’t have been an issue?

In my own opinion this new plan seems like a get it up you to TJ, who I believe is less than enamoured with the whole thing.

Zero support and play about 40 miles away from Broomhill yet can produce a Junior team out of thin air.

Way to go, man.

Just now, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Only passing on what I was told mate, not saying it’s right or wrong.

Cool, just love the way these guys can throw a Junior team together or a LL team for that matter and the cost is not in question. No ground no support and they always say 500 parents paying £20/30 a month in subs has eff all to do with it.

10 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Suspect it would all quickly be headed off at the pass by a posse of irate pensioners on moblity scooters where the vast majority of junior clubs are concerned. The way it might happen is with a mix of colt teams and ambitious amateur/youth clubs with only the four recent additions to juniorfootball (i.e. Clydebank, Girvan, Rossvale and Gartcairn) being likely candidates from the juniors.  Time will tell.