Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Don't get folk not wanting the most glamorous draw possibly. Realistically Celtic are only going to go one round further with even the best possible draw. I'd be after something like Bayern Munich, Man U and Napoli and enjoy the spectacle rather than hoping for Olympiakos, Sevilla, Benfica etc.

Celtic want to be more than just "Happy to be here" in the group stages, we want to actually win games.  Hopefully we can get a draw that will at least give us a legit chance of third place and playing in the Europa League after Christmas, but an easier draw would potentially give us a chance of making the round of 16 in the CL.  

You are absolute bit-parters here. Just be happy to see the likes of Lewandowski turn you over and and then you can get back to concentrating on being immortal after xmas, instead of being jobbed out in the Mickey Mouse cup as well.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Celtic

Worst Possible group

Real Madrid

PSG

Tottenham

I'd fancy Celtic to get something from Spurs tbh. They were pretty rotten in Europe last season and have a weaker squad at present. Celtic should be more fearful of Napoli IMO. They can score for fun against weaker sides.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Man United would ride Celtic silly IMO.

At Old Trafford most likely, at Celtic Park we could nick a point like we did against Man City last year.  Realistically whoever we get from pots 1 and 2 (with the exception of Spartak Moscow or Shakthar from Pot 1) will most likely beat us relatively comfortably so our best chance of European football in February would require a kind draw from Pot 3 and we will fancy our chances against any of the Pot 3 teams that are not from Italy or England

Just now, lanky_ffc said:

I'd fancy Celtic to get something from Spurs tbh. They were pretty rotten in Europe last season and have a weaker squad at present. Celtic should be more fearful of Napoli IMO. They can score for fun against weaker sides.

I think Spurs are a more balanced team though, realistically would want to avoid either TBH.  A kind draw from pot 3 is our best chance of European football in the winter

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Especially with Lukaku and Ibrahimovic to now choose from.

I suppose, we can cling to the fact that we got points off a strong Man City team last year.  Realistically whoever we get from pot 2 will be extremely tough, any points we get from the pot 2 team will be icing on the cake.  

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

I suppose, we can cling to the fact that we got points off a strong Man City team last year.  Realistically whoever we get from pot 2 will be extremely tough, any points we get from the pot 2 team will be icing on the cake.  

I'd have have the current United stronger than last season's City right now.  I think you'd get a doing both home and away off United.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd have have the current United stronger than last season's City right now.  I think you'd get a doing both home and away off United.

You may be right, either way as long as we avoid any 7-0's and do well enough to finish 3rd I'll be happy

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

You may be right, either way as long as we avoid any 7-0's and do well enough to finish 3rd I'll be happy

Not any less convinced you shouldn't wish for a glamour group with posts like this....

You're basically hoping for a Europa Cup level teams so that after xmas you can get put out of the Europa Cup by another Europa Cup level team. But y'know...at least it was after the new year.

Living the dream!

3 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Not any less convinced you shouldn't wish for a glamour group with posts like this....

You're basically hoping for a Europa Cup level teams so that after xmas you can get put out of the Europa Cup by another Europa Cup level team. But y'know...at least it was after the new year.

Living the dream!

It's called incremental progress mate.  We know we can't compete financially with the teams from Spain, England, Germany, Italy, Portugal, and France so we need to be realistic at what our level is.  2 years ago we were shite in Europe, last year we got to the group stages of the CL but finished 4th, this year we are aiming for 3rd and winning a round or two after Christmas in the EL so getting 1 or 2 teams from outside the top 6 leagues would be helpful in reaching that goal.  

18 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Living the dream!

Football fans wanting an easier draw to increase their chances of progressing further in a competition?

What a curious phenomenon.

Living the dream!

Would you rather draw Celtic or Bonnyrigg in the first round of the Scottish Cup?

54 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Living the dream!

Talk to us about Everton ... 

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Why are Spartak Moscow and Shakhtar Donetsk in Pot 1?

They are absolute gubbings.

Pot 1 is reserved for the champions of the 8 top ranked leagues in Europe and currently the Russian and Ukranian leagues are ranked 7th and 8th.  

Archived