The Celtic All Seasons thread

On 04/06/2018 at 15:41, senorsoupe said:

So Celtic now have 3 International goalies plus Dorus de Vries with both Scott Bain and Conor Hazard making their international debut's this weekend.  Congrats to both Bain and young Hazard, who I would expect to spend a year on loan somewhere this year, hopefully in the Premiership in order to develop and press for a first team place next year.

How Bain ever got a cap with this in his back catalogue amazes me 

36 minutes ago, d31 said:

with Ciftci, Roberts, Masonda and Edouard all away you'd suspect Celtic have serious budget to play with

Quality over quantity, you could probably add Christie and Allan to that list.i don't see the wage bill going down just the squad numbers. 

18 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

This Lewis Morgan to Sunderland on loan rumour just won't go away.  If it does happen I would like to see it later in the window so that he gets a proper look at Celtic, maybe some game time in the League Cup

Assuming hes not going to get a game initially it wouldnt be the worst option for him. I was quite happy to see him go on loan back to St Mirren  again to get top Scottish league experience but he can go to a large club in a league of similar quality to ours with biggish home crowds. He would also be playing under a manager he is familar with where they are expected to win every week.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Assuming hes not going to get a game initially it wouldnt be the worst option for him. I was quite happy to see him go on loan back to St Mirren  again to get top Scottish league experience but he can go to a large club in a league of similar quality to ours with biggish home crowds. He would also be playing under a manager he is familar with where they are expected to win every week.

That's not an assumption we should be making just yet though, just looking at Celtic's current depth charts, we are thin in the natural winger department with Morgan realistically being the fourth best natural winger at the club after Forrest, Sinclair, and Hayes.   McGregor and Christie can play out there but it's not their natural position and after that we are looking at kids like Benyu and Johnston who may not be ready for more football at this level.  

We will see what the off season brings and whether or not Brendan goes for more wingers but if I look at the depth charts at the moment there could be plenty of football on offer at Celtic for Morgan.

Random thought but Liverpool just confirmed that Jon Flanagan will leave them this summer as his contract expires.  Celtic need depth at full back, Brendan was keen on him at Liverpool before he got injured, could he be a decent option for Celtic?

Just a thought.

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Random thought but Liverpool just confirmed that Jon Flanagan will leave them this summer as his contract expires.  Celtic need depth at full back, Brendan was keen on him at Liverpool before he got injured, could he be a decent option for Celtic?

Just a thought.

Right back is our biggest problem and would be a bargain on a free  but he does have a conviction for assaulting his girlfriend.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I see Armstrong has been linked to a move to Crystal Palace on the BBC Gossip. Do you think Celtic will sell him this summer?

If Armstrong was to leave Celtic i would want him to go to Germany like murdo or Lambert his style of play would suit the German game plus for me would get a better education there.
With Ntcham having a great season it's hard to see were Armstrong fits into the team but Celtic play 60 games a season so rotating the squad is vital for success. Celtic will need Armstrong's box to box energy and goals personally i would like to see another year with Armstrong at Celtic. 

5 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I see Armstrong has been linked to a move to Crystal Palace on the BBC Gossip. Do you think Celtic will sell him this summer?

Given he is no longer a guaranteed first team pick, he only signed a two year last summer and nearly left I think we will. I would imagine he has a release clause in his contract but his stock isnt as high as it was last summer because of injury/form.  If he is going I would rather he left now as I cant be arsed with another debacle like last summer. I take it you are asking as Utd would have some sort of sell on fee I would imagine.

5 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

If a decent offer comes in, I would say yes, he's made it clear through his actions that he's not really committed to Celtic for the long haul.

I see Man City want 9 Million for Jason Denayer, I almost think Celtic should pay that money, it's not like we don't have much of it, especially if some of the rumours about outgoing transfers is true

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If Armstrong was to leave Celtic i would want him to go to Germany like murdo or Lambert his style of play would suit the German game plus for me would get a better education there.
With Ntcham having a great season it's hard to see were Armstrong fits into the team but Celtic play 60 games a season so rotating the squad is vital for success. Celtic will need Armstrong's box to box energy and goals personally i would like to see another year with Armstrong at Celtic. 

26 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Given he is no longer a guaranteed first team pick, he only signed a two year last summer and nearly left I think we will. I would imagine he has a release clause in his contract but his stock isnt as high as it was last summer because of injury/form.  If he is going I would rather he left now as I cant be arsed with another debacle like last summer. I take it you are asking as Utd would have some sort of sell on fee I would imagine.

15 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

If a decent offer comes in, I would say yes, he's made it clear through his actions that he's not really committed to Celtic for the long haul.

I see Man City want 9 Million for Jason Denayer, I almost think Celtic should pay that money, it's not like we don't have much of it, especially if some of the rumours about outgoing transfers is true

Thanks.

I don't know if there is a sell on clause. I would hope so but Stephen Thompson was chairman so who knows. I can't see Celtic getting much for Armstrong anyway with him going into the last year of his contract.

I too would like to see him play abroad.

Be interesting to see how he would get on abroad but realistically in what league would he hold done a regular place if he struggles to hold one down at Celtic, that's not having a go,Celtic have some decent midfielders. Bottom half teams in Spain, Germany or France?  And if it's outside the top four or five leagues is there any point?

Edited by Bohemian

23 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

If a decent

Im not a Boyata hater like many in our support but I take it Denayer was still injured for the World cup by Boyata gettin picked? I dont mind Boyata but Denayer is a cut above really. If hes going for 9 million I wouldnt be adverse to it if he agrees a 5 year deal. 

1 minute ago, Bohemian said:

Be interesting to see how he would get on abroad but realistically in what league would he hold done a regular place if he struggles to hold one down at Celtic, that's not having a go,Celtic have some decent midfielders. Bottom half teams in Spain, Germany or France? 

Hes going to Southampton Im afraid, thems the rules.

4 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Be interesting to see how he would get on abroad but realistically in what league would he hold done a regular place if he struggles to hold one down at Celtic, that's not having a go,Celtic have some decent midfielders. Bottom half teams in Spain, Germany or France?  And if it's outside the top four or five leagues is there any point?

I would think Armstrong would be good enough for one of the top half teams in France like Bordeaux or Saint-Etienne.  If Saidy Janko can get game time for Saint-Etienne, who finished 7th last year, then I would think Armstrong could get into their team as well! 

7 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I would think Armstrong would be good enough for one of the top half teams in France like Bordeaux or Saint-Etienne.  If Saidy Janko can get game time for Saint-Etienne, who finished 7th last year, then I would think Armstrong could get into their team as well! 

Fair enough but would he improve playing for someone like Etiene? He'd be sacrificing Champions league football too.  As gannonball said he will probably end up at Southampton or Palace like Ki and Ledley on a hefty wage playing every now and again. 

He obviously go to whoever pays the most so more than likely down South, not good for the national team IMO

Edited by Bohemian

15 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Janko was forced out the team by the arrival of Debuchy in January who, along with Beric returning from a loan spell at Anderlecht, vastly improved Saint-Etienne's fortunes (17th to 7th). As soon as Debuchy arrived, Janko rarely even made it onto the bench. It seemed an odd signing in the first place unless the original manager thought that his pace would cause opposition defences problems. The fact that he got no assists in 22 games should tell you how well that went.

31 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Janko was forced out the team by the arrival of Debuchy in January who, along with Beric returning from a loan spell at Anderlecht, vastly improved Saint-Etienne's fortunes (17th to 7th). As soon as Debuchy arrived, Janko rarely even made it onto the bench. It seemed an odd signing in the first place unless the original manager thought that his pace would cause opposition defences problems. The fact that he got no assists in 22 games should tell you how well that went.

He epitomises the typical modern full back really. Pace/fitness with next to no footballing ability.

34 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Fair point, I don't pay that close attention to French football lol.  In saying that, Armstrong is miles better than Janko (even though they don't play the same position) so I still reckon he could probably get into a top half Ligue 1 team.