Work colleagues

I was admitted to hospital last year when I was on annual leave, got my holidays back no question.  Why should I not be allowed to claim them back?

Because how you spend your holidays is entirely up to you. On the sofa, in your pants, sinking cans? Fine. In hospital? Also fine.
The above is tongue in cheek, if you fall ill on time off you should get it back imo, as long as you can show you were ill obviously.

Guy I used to work beside suffered from epilepsy and also had an artificial leg. (We never found out if the one was the result of the other as he told various stories.) He used to get a lot of time off for doctor's appointments, which is fair enough, but once his appointment fell while he was off on annual leave and he tried to claim an extra day. He was told there was no chance of this.

(Poor bugger was eventually given medical retirement but not long after that was found dead in his flat; he'd apparently taken a fit while running his bath, fell in and drowned.)

Pretty common place, it actually wrote into our HR procedures but you have to prove it with a doctors line or such. Example: I needed an op just before Xmas and my recovery period was 3 weeks. With an enforced shutdown of the business over Xmas I was allocated all these holidays back.

I used to work with a guy who worked 3 days a week as part of his wind down to retirement. He regularly managed to be off sick on of his 3 days, but if he was asked to come in on one of the other 2, managed to get paid an emergency daily rate that was higher than his normal rate. For some reason, the higher-ups were happy to do this, meaning he was effectively getting paid 4.5 days wages for 2 days work some weeks.

It pissed the rest of us off no end, mainly through jealousy.

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

A guy in my work took 2 weeks annual leave to go to Bali and returned to work last week. Towards the end of his holiday he fell ill with food poisoning and ended up bed ridden for four days. He just returned to work the other day and asked to be paid sick leave for those four days and his annual leave to be returned to him. The weird thing is, it appears to be the law in Australia and had he had a medical certificate, he would have had his request accepted. 

I've never heard such madness in my life. Is that a thing in the UK? It would never have crossed my mind to try to get sick pay if I happened to fall ill while on leave. 

I know what will be happening the next time I'm on leave though...

I've never not had a job where that isnt a thing. Do you work in the middle ages?

31 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Guy I used to work beside suffered from epilepsy and also had an artificial leg. (We never found out if the one was the result of the other as he told various stories.) He used to get a lot of time off for doctor's appointments, which is fair enough, but once his appointment fell while he was off on annual leave and he tried to claim an extra day. He was told there was no chance of this.

(Poor bugger was eventually given medical retirement but not long after that was found dead in his flat; he'd apparently taken a fit while running his bath, fell in and drowned.)

That's absolutely normal. My brother is epileptic as well and he took a fit three days into his fortnight at Disneyworld with his kids last summer and had to fly home after getting out the hospital the following day. He was fine and back at work by the Monday he was due to return, but managed to retrospectively convert 8 of his 10 A/L days into sick days.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

That's absolutely normal. My brother is epileptic as well and he took a fit three days into his fortnight at Disneyworld with his kids last summer and had to fly home after getting out the hospital the following day. He was fine and back at work by the Monday he was due to return, but managed to retrospectively convert 8 of his 10 A/L days into sick days.

I should have said that this was back in the 1980s so employment practice has presumably changed since then.

Having been blessed with good health for the majority of my life, rarely been off sick, never been ill on holiday and never worked for an employer who have been eager to explain how I can get my annual leave back if I fall ill while off, this is all news to me. I'd literally never heard of it until yesterday. 

Some good information from the slackers well informed members of P&B. 

14 minutes ago, Crroma said:

Its total bullshit is what it is. Its like me taking a week off and then claiming i had depression to get another week. Get on with it.

Double edged sword though.

You get your annual leave but it eats into your sick pay entitlement and can trigger disciplinary action for poor attendance.

Haha this sounds so much like my work - I did virtually the same thing, got knocked back, some external consultant was brought in and suggested it and they were like My GoD, wHy DiD wE nOt ThInK oF tHiS oUrsElVeS?.
WhY dID YOu nOt sUGgEsT iT?
[emoji38]

50 minutes ago, Crroma said:

Its total bullshit is what it is. Its like me taking a week off and then claiming i had depression to get another week. Get on with it.

What a horrible attitude.

You truly are a good wee brainwashed tory c**t

I have no idea what I've posted thats wound you up enough to throw insults at me in multiple threads but can you please let me know so i can dial it up a bit, cheers.

1 minute ago, Crroma said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I have no idea what I've posted thats wound you up enough to throw insults at me in multiple threads but can you please let me know so i can dial it up a bit, cheers.

It’s probably your mocking of mental health issues. 

HTH

My mind has been blown by this annual leave/sick days chat. I get the logic behind why it's only fair, but I really can't imagine having the balls to come back from holiday and ask for time back due to horrific skitters. More power to anyone who's actually done it.

Edit: sorry for interrupting Crroma's meltdown; carry on!

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

10 minutes ago, Crroma said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

What other threads? I've only insulted you on this one.

Stop lying.

5 minutes ago, Crroma said:
8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
It’s probably your mocking of mental health issues. 
HTH

Oh so he is a pansy that can't hack it. Gotcha

A pansy :lol: